News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I hope we start seeing more movement in the Quarters. Cidex has been a start for the area but I thing we need at least a couple other developers who will take some of the properties out of the hands of the long time/current owners of the lots, who are happy to just let these lots sit while they earn a passive amount of money from the parking lots.
Except we have had developers/development in addition to Cidex commit to and complete projects in the Quarters for decades including the Brighton Block,, the Pendennis, the City Market Building, the Army and Navy, Jaffer’s two buildings, the Double Tree, National Cappuccino, the Goodridge Block, the Chinese Elders, The Quarters Arts Collective, Ociciwan Contemporary Art Collective etc.

At the same time we’ve lost Brittany’s, The Nook, The Hardware Grill, the market, etc. We even lost the police recruitment centre and a cannabis store!

Many of those long time/current owners and their families would be quite happy to see their holdings developed or redeveloped by themselves (many of them are quite capable and experienced) or by partnering with/selling to a developer.

The problem isn’t a lack of developer interest, the problem is a lack of viable demand for the commercial, retail, and residential spaces that they and the Quarters need for development to proceed.

The city comes up will all these plans, like Moses coming down from the mountain with commandments that everyone is expected to follow and then seems surprised when for some reason things don't turn out again and again.

I think there is a disconnect here and we need to spend more time addressing the real problems and barriers to development and less time in the theoretical world.

^from that ARP

"7.7 RCMP Barracks
The relocation and redevelopment of the RCMP barracks will be encouraged in order to help introduce new uses into the area which will enhance the safety and security of the neighbourhood."

How old is some of this? The Grierson Institution hasn't been used as an RCMP barracks since the 70s.

The city comes up will all these plans, like Moses coming down from the mountain with commandments that everyone is expected to follow and then seems surprised when for some reason things don't turn out again and again.

I think there is a disconnect here and we need to spend more time addressing the real problems and barriers to development and less time in the theoretical world.
This brings to mind the framed plaques and awards in Planning’s boardroom for “Best Unimplemented Plan”. I kid you not…

Back