News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Another loss of a multi-store retailer. Factory Direct is set to liquidate its inventory starting tomorrow. Made it to 24 stores at the height of popularity and left with 14 stores across the province.

Such a garbage chain anyway.

The Body Shop to close 33 Canadian stores and end online sales:

Ontario: Bayview Village (Toronto), Carlingwood Mall (Ottawa), Cataraqui Town Centre (Kingston), Dufferin Mall (Toronto), Fairview Park Mall (Kitchener), Lambton Mall (Sarnia), Lansdowne Place (Peterborough), Lynden Park Mall (Brantford), Place d'Orleans (Orleans), Queen Street East (Toronto), Rideau Centre (Ottawa), Stone Road Mall (Guelph), The Shops at Don Mills (Toronto), Timmins Square (Timmins), Toronto Pearson Term. 1 (Toronto)

'Nobody needs an extra coat': Apparel sector braces for another year of no splurging

Greg Hicks, the president and chief executive of Mark's and SportChek-owner Canadian Tire Corp., blamed "rising interest rates, stubborn inflation impacting discretionary spend and unfavourable weather" for the company's fourth-quarter profit dropping 68 per cent from a year earlier.

The challenges aren't letting up with credit card data he recently reviewed showing competition across clothing retailers is high.

"Apparel-focused retailers are having a real challenge on the top line and we're therefore seeing the intensity ramp quite a bit," Hicks said.

If I remember correctly, an unseasonably warm winter or two is what caused Danier to file for bankruptcy a few years back due to an inability to shift any of their winter stock. Would not be surprised if we see this winter lead to another brand or two having major problems.

I still have the same Moose Knuckles jacket I bought like a decade ago. Haven't felt the need to change it, considering it's still in relatively decent shape and the last two winters weren't so bad.

Yep, can't see folks in an urgent mood to get another $1000+ jacket right now.

Canada Goose is laying off staff to "rein in costs amid weaker consumer spending."

The logic of spending $1000+ on one of these boring Canada Goose jackets is completely lost on me, when you can walk into any random independent vintage shop or Value Village and pick up a winter coat that's actually interesting looking for 50 bucks or less. I have quite the eye catching collection at this point! Oh well, let people waste their money needlessly if they want! 🤣

The logic of spending $1000+ on one of these boring Canada Goose jackets is completely lost on me, when you can walk into any random independent vintage shop or Value Village and pick up a winter coat that's actually interesting looking for 50 bucks or less. I have quite the eye catching collection at this point! Oh well, let people waste their money needlessly if they want! 🤣
Well my coat was $750 in 2014, now the same coat is $1,750 in 2024

Doubled in cost in 10 years? Seems a bit much...

Well my coat was $750 in 2014, now the same coat is $1,750 in 2024

Doubled in cost in 10 years? Seems a bit much...
I have a great Timberland down-filled coat that is similar to Canada Goose and that I bought for a couple of hundred dollars about 20 years ago. I didn't wear it once last season because it wasn't a winter worthy of the name. (It usually isn't because I'm from Québec City, where they have real winters.)

Back