News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I would add to that list^ Horton's needs to make sure all workers have full training for all roles and duties. Employees should know every job in the restaurant. (On my coffee runs i have lost count how many employees don't know how to use the automatic latte machine. It's not brain surgery people! ) And manners and being polite should be taught as well. The guy that works at the Horton's near my work always says Whaaaat? "HUH"? every time he takes my order. It's just a miserable experience going to Horton's, i don't get this level of horrible service at Starbucks or any another restaurant chain.

One of the articles I read on the NEW CORPORATE DIRECTION was a complaint from the franchisees that the constant menu changes issued from on high made it difficult to impossible to keep staff adequately trained. Many of their staff is part time, some working a few days a week, and often when they showed up for shift the following week, they'd have to be trained on some new.

+1 on polite customer relations. The number of time a staffer has said 'hi' on greeting me, and actually saying 'thank you' for my business and money, is way south of 25%.

I spent a few days on the road in northern Ontario and was struck by the demographics of small town/rural Tim's stores, which do not seem to align with many elements of the expanded menu. First, I am a walk-in; I don't do drive-through, which makes me a second class citizen. As I'm standing there noticing my surroundings, the clientele is strongly travellers, tradespersons and seniors, with a few students and parents with young kids thrown in. The preference is coffee - plain old coffee, baked goods and sandwiches. I assume that would skew to breakfast in the earlier hours. Some, like seniors and parents with young kids like to linger; it's cheap, safe and reasonably comfortable. The rest want their stuff and be on their way.

Although not necessarily specific to Tim's but may be aggravated by the way they staff their counter, the one thing that does drive me to near violence in these places is that fact that many customers, as they wait in line, seem surprised when they finally achieve the counter, that they actually have to make a decision on their order and, once fulfilled, need to access money to pay for it (or in the case of more than one female, who will pay for what - sorry, it had to be said). They post the menus on big screens. If you have to wait in line, use you time productively.

I imagine the menu changes must be hard on the smaller locations. The staff at the downtown Tim's I go to are now at the point of adding carts as counter space to hold whatever new appliance is needed in the food prep area as they have no space left. And they are cramming new beverage machines in wherever they can. They don't even have a kitchen attached. All of the heating, dipping, thawing is done at the location downstairs (same owner).

And to the point of someone several posts back regarding why they don't serve fresh eggs like a McD's, I have no clue where the smaller locations would have space to do that or hood vents for exhaust, etc. Not every Tim's in a big burbs style store with a kitchen in back.

And to the point of someone several posts back regarding why they don't serve fresh eggs like a McD's, I have no clue where the smaller locations would have space to do that or hood vents for exhaust, etc. Not every Tim's in a big burbs style store with a kitchen in back.

Don't know if the code here requires hoods with combi ovens - but it is one option.

AoD

I imagine the menu changes must be hard on the smaller locations. The staff at the downtown Tim's I go to are now at the point of adding carts as counter space to hold whatever new appliance is needed in the food prep area as they have no space left.
The Timmies on Queen Quay (Shoppes Of the World Trade Center) doesn’t even have a toilet.

The Timmies on Queen Quay (Shoppes Of the World Trade Center) doesn’t even have a toilet.

Residences of the World Trade Centre?

I hate that Timmy's. It used to be an Inuit art dealer. One of my best mates lives in that building. RIP Chinese restaurant that is now a roti and dosa shop. That place was the best.

I hate this Timmy's the most. I didn't even know they didn't have a pisser because I've never been in there and it's been there for a decade at least.

Is that even legal?
IDK, but I “urgently” rushed in from parking the car, ordered a coffee and location of the toilets and was told there isn't one. I can see why food court or interior retail Timmies don‘t need toilets, but the Queens Quay Timmies is your standard exterior entrance, drive up place.

Here‘s the interior. No publicly accessible toilets.

67EAF995-2BE6-4A4A-8869-92DD17F54B23.png

4B841E67-71A1-4402-B1FF-2BACCC6F884A.png

So, I canceled the coffee order and went to the Asian restaurant next door, ordered some food and ran for their loo.

Last edited:
IDK, but I “urgently” rushed in from parking the car, ordered a coffee and location of the toilets and was told there isn't one. I can see why food court or interior retail Timmies don‘t need toilets, but the Queens Quay Timmies is your standard exterior entrance, drive up place.

So, I canceled the coffee order and went to the Asian restaurant next door, ordered some food and ran for their loo.

You are too kind. I would have asked for an extra large coffee cup and just went in the cup. When you gotta go, you gotta go. Not my fault they don't have a bathroom.

You are too kind. I would have asked for an extra large coffee cup and just went in the cup. When you gotta go, you gotta go. Not my fault they don't have a bathroom.
Ha. Maybe in my younger days.

I expect legally they can avoid having toilets because they avoid having any chairs. The law probably says only sit down restaurants need bathrooms. The small counter in the corner doesn’t count - no stool.

Ha. Maybe in my younger days.

I expect legally they can avoid having toilets because they avoid having any chairs. The law probably says only sit down restaurants need bathrooms. The small counter in the corner doesn’t count - no stool.
Notice that many pizza places that primarily do take-out and delivery (and lack tables for eating) don't have publicly accessible washrooms.

There are public washrooms down the hall
There is no hall. Just south and west facing exterior doors. Perhaps if you leave the premises and enter another door that leads into a larger part of the building?

But anyway, I resolved the, uhm, issue. Tim Horton’s restrooms are always gross, too small, never clean and with no means to open the door after you’ve washed your hands (what’s the point of a air dryer if I can’t get out?). You can grab some TP to open the door, but there’s no garbage can within easy throw. My motorcycle club has mostly abandoned Timmies for Starbucks, McDs and Coffee Time.... all three have good coffee and cleaner, more useable bathrooms.

Back