News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I think if drive-thrus are to be legal, then they need to be legal for bikes and pedestrians too.

For safety reasons they likely do not want bikes or pedestrians in the drive through. I can see homeless people walking up to bang on the window for free coffee, or some other similar situation.

It helps that you can also mobile order at Starbucks, it really expedites things.

I know you can order ahead at Tims via the app but honestly.. do the employees even know how to do a mobile order? Using the kiosks at the stores is no faster than waiting in line, it is actually longer.
I’ve never had issues with mobile orders at Tim’s. It’s usually ready when I get there for pickup unless they are out of something - which is a whole other issue.

I think if drive-thrus are to be legal, then they need to be legal for bikes and pedestrians too.
I don't legality is the issue; it's a matter of company policy and I assume all companies that have drives-throughs are the same or very similar. If there is a land use or zoning angle to having a drive-through, I'd be curious if is something a municipality could control.

I don't legality is the issue; it's a matter of company policy and I assume all companies that have drives-throughs are the same or very similar. If there is a land use or zoning angle to having a drive-through, I'd be curious if is something a municipality could control.
I imagine it has to do with liability and insurance.

Municipalities can restrict drive-thrus, Toronto already does.

1661480277391.png

There is no provincial restriction so far as I'm aware, that would preclude Toronto from changing 30m to 300m or 3000m; or otherwise restricting or conditionalizing drive-thrus.

Though, I may stand to be corrected on that point, as I have not looked into it in detail.

That said, this Star article suggests municipalities probably have the choice..........

"While this may be the case, the existence of drive-thrus is being curbed in some areas of Canada.
A 2018 University of Alberta study found that, at the time, more than 27 communities in six different provinces had banned them in some form."

Generally speaking, if you you (as a government) are empowered to legally restrict an activity, you can also legally conditionalize it.

Municipalities can restrict drive-thrus, Toronto already does.

View attachment 422741

There is no provincial restriction so far as I'm aware, that would preclude Toronto from changing 30m to 300m or 3000m; or otherwise restricting or conditionalizing drive-thrus.

Though, I may stand to be corrected on that point, as I have not looked into it in detail.

That said, this Star article suggests municipalities probably have the choice..........

"While this may be the case, the existence of drive-thrus is being curbed in some areas of Canada.
A 2018 University of Alberta study found that, at the time, more than 27 communities in six different provinces had banned them in some form."

Generally speaking, if you you (as a government) are empowered to legally restrict an activity, you can also legally conditionalize it.
I was aware of that, but responding to the statement that drive-throughs should be legally accessible to pedestrians and bikes. Seeing as it is private property, it seems to be a land use issue and I'm not sure if the province could intervene or if a municipality could be discriminating. It would be interesting.

On a completely unrelated note, a poster on another forum said they really missed Tim's since relocating to the US and had to be satisfied with Krispy Kreme. I suggested that, unless he emigrated back when Tim's goods were still locally baked, he should seek professional help (in good humour of course). I did offer a caveat that if he was solely referring to the coffee, I would give him a pass because KK's brew isn't that great, even compared to Tim's.

I was aware of that, but responding to the statement that drive-throughs should be legally accessible to pedestrians and bikes. Seeing as it is private property, it seems to be a land use issue and I'm not sure if the province could intervene or if a municipality could be discriminating. It would be interesting.

I was inferring (rightly or wrongly) that the existing level of regulation of drive-thrus suggests the implicit power to regulate their form.

To be clear, I don't think you would see a requirement to allow someone to walk through a drive-thru in a car lane.

Rather that a municipal power (I think) would exist to mandate a walk-up window, or safe means to walk up to the drive thru window (likely a side window into the same area, with a sidewalk leading up to it.

Bikes are legal road vehicles, so I'm not sure why they shouldn't be legal in a drive-thru.

Though, frankly, I'd rather just ban drive-thrus than expand their appeal.

On a completely unrelated note, a poster on another forum said they really missed Tim's since relocating to the US and had to be satisfied with Krispy Kreme. I suggested that, unless he emigrated back when Tim's goods were still locally baked, he should seek professional help (in good humour of course). I did offer a caveat that if he was solely referring to the coffee, I would give him a pass because KK's brew isn't that great, even compared to Tim's.

There's coffee worse than Tim's? Ok....in fairness, Starbucks is terrible too.

They are two extremes, one under-roasts and delivers coffee that is incredibly bland; while the other over-roasts serving coffee that's acrid.

There's coffee worse than Tim's? Ok....in fairness, Starbucks is terrible too.
Yes, and I'm not really a connoisseur (hot, not bitter, caffeinated = me happy). Perhaps in fairness, the only KK I went to (it's been years) was the one in Heartland-Mississauga, and always on my way home in the afternoon. Maybe it was just old. At least Tim's tracks the age of their pots.

Yes, and I'm not really a connoisseur (hot, not bitter, caffeinated = me happy). Perhaps in fairness, the only KK I went to (it's been years) was the one in Heartland-Mississauga, and always on my way home in the afternoon. Maybe it was just old. At least Tim's tracks the age of their pots.

I don't consider myself a connoisseur either when it comes to coffee.

Typically, I'm a one cup a day, in the morning person, usually made at home.

That said, especially when the weather turns cold, I do sometimes have more, and have been known to have my share of coffee meet-ups w/friends or work colleagues or such.

For me, I like coffee with flavour, but not too in-your-face. I prefer the somewhat richer/darker notes in a coffee (that hint of chocolate you sometimes get) vs overly fruity. Don't burn it! Serve it hot, but not scalding, and allow me
my 1 sugar and 1 cream; sometimes with a dash of cinnamon, and we're good.

The Tims production and development machine just can't be stopped:

Does Tim's even sell/use 'Maple Butter' in its locations?

If it does, I missed it. But granted I've been in Tim's once in the last couple of years, when it was one of the few places open on my one of my long walks in winter, and I wanted a coffee to warm up..........then I remembered why I dislike Tim's and just kept walking.

Last edited:

Back