News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
After 5 years, Miller has failed to seal the big deals

Nov 16, 2008 04:30 AM
Royson James

David Miller's been Toronto's mayor and chief magistrate for five years. But if he's found his legs as civic leader, it clearly isn't obvious to his subjects.

His first term was widely condemned as a wasted three years, marked by timidity and disappointment. Now, halfway through a newly expanded four-year term, there is the sense that Mayor Miller has the city spinning its wheels.

Miller's problem is not inactivity or laziness; rather, he has trouble closing the deal on major projects. And when that happens repeatedly – the 311-call system, food carts, renovating Union Station and Nathan Phillips Square – voters conclude the leader isn't delivering.

In fact, since Miller was re-elected he has pursued an aggressive agenda, to the point of arrogance.

He attaches his name to city projects, bypassing city council. When he wants to push an item through he claims it as part of his mandate, muting opposition. He has ruminated about bagging more power to his already inflated responsibilities, including the right to hold secret meetings with his hand-picked executive committee.

With such tight control, one would expect quick execution of policies. Miller said last month he was "pleased to report that over 97 per cent" of the items in his mandate "are now underway, and over 28 per cent have already been completed."

So, where is the evidence the city is purring along superbly? Where's the long list of achievements? Upon reflection, the successes appear as partial and small, while citizens seek completion of long-standing, significant projects.

Miller is off hither and yon on many initiatives. But he has completed, by his own accounting, barely a quarter of them. And the ones still outstanding are the issues that matter, the true test of an efficient, effective city administration.

How much longer before he fixes Union Station? In 1998, the year of amalgamation, Mayor Mel Lastman took a tour of the TTC platforms, too narrow for safety, and vowed they would be widened. They remain untouched. Still, Miller's ambition is to fix the entire complex, using taxpayers' money. We'll update you in 10 years.

Remember how the private sector was to contribute more than half the Nathan Phillips Square makeover cost? No deal.

Taste buds across the city tingled at the prospect of ethnically diverse food sold from street vendors – until the great ideas sank in bureaucratic silliness, such as the ill-fated plan to have the city borrow money to get into the food cart business.

The idea of calling 311 to connect to any city service is a hopeful one for citizens tired of searching for basic information. Five years later, it's still not in place.

When one of the mayor's strongest and universally embraced promises – the establishment of four officers to ensure public accountability – still languishes, more than eyebrows are raised.

Yes, we have more planners at city hall, more cops on the street, fewer potholes, more investments in the arts, a climate change plan, the start of a city-wide transit plan (that's short of funding), and more initiatives than citizens can process. But these have such limited impact on the city's psyche.

Since Miller has been mayor, we've had stunning additions to the Art Gallery of Ontario and the Royal Ontario Museum, plus a new opera house – all in the city, but not built by the city.

It's those types of transformative projects and bold changes Miller has failed to execute or capture.

Source

Any valid points Royson may have are spoiled by his rhetoric.

Still, Miller's ambition is to fix the entire complex, using taxpayers' money.

Imagine that! A decent mayor would certainly fix Union station out of his own pocket.

I live in the old City of York, and we used to have garbage pickup by a private contractor. Now Miller replaced the contractor with city union members, and it has gone down hill. The service is bad, they refused to pick up garbage that were "too heavy". I weighed it after they left it, and it was under the 20 kg limit, 17 kg with the container.
I didn't vote for Miller in the last city election, and will not vote for him in the next.
Lastman was a better Mayor than Miller. At least Lastman was working for the taxpayer and not the unions.

There should be a run-off election between the two highest candidates for mayor, if no one gets 50% + 1 of the electors.

Last edited:
^ So you'd rather have had Jane Pitfield?

I too am disappointed in the lack of visible progress, but in the background, I see things moving. It takes a while to get projects moving, but once the initial background work is done, it all comes in a rush. Look at Waterfront Toronto... people complained of no visible work, but once everything got approved and planned, we're beginning to see a wave of projects scheduled and completed this and next year.

David Miller isn't the problem, it's our municipal power system where the Mayor is just a city councillor with a fancy name. Anybody else would have encountered the same road blocks and resulted in the same slow pace of progress.

Miller has been a champion for this city on the provincial and federal levels. Lastman simply shouted and pouted when the province didn't give him what he wanted. Miller has been instrumental in the new deal from the province and feds. Gas tax, upload of services and a serious consideration for transit funding are three major achievements that I see laying the groundwork for oiling up the Toronto machine and getting it to work properly in the years ahead.

Last edited:
Toronto's system of governance is ridiculous. It's absurd that an area with a greater population than all but four of Canada's provinces has (essentially) the same administrative model as Thunder Bay or Medicine Hat.

Something needs to change for ANY mayor to really be effective going forward. The problem is that any major who advocates for greater powers is going to be ridiculed and denounced for it.

Miller is... mediocre. Best word I can think of. I'm not sure whether to blame him or council, which appears to be totally useless. If for no other reason than to clear up who is responsible for what (and I think the Mayor should be directly responsible for most things), the strong mayor system makes sense. Like most politicians, his legacy will look clearer in 10 years. If the "Mayor's Tower Renewal" project actually works out, I think his term will have been a success. That is a big if though. That said, there has just been such an unbelievable display of incompetence on minor and major issues that you have to question City Hall. The food carts is pretty much the best example anybody can think of. Other causes he has quite personally championed, like gun bans and the "one cent now" campaign have been so utterly pointless. Even if you support gun control, everybody knows that is not within the Mayor's mandate. Playing around with zoning bylaws to ban shooting clubs just seems shallow and petty.

It's a disappointing that someone so concerned with urban principles hasn't proposed to build any new subways in urban Toronto despite the need. Transit City should have been a subway and light rail proposal, perhaps organized in phases to make it more palatable.

Also, he fails at symbolic gestures to placate the crowd whose only concern is taxes.

Mayor fires back at critics

Nov 17, 2008 04:30 AM
Vanessa Lu
City Hall Bureau Chief

David Miller bristled at the suggestion there may be a perception out there that he can't get the deal done as Toronto mayor.

"Nobody's ever suggested that to me, ever," Miller said during an interview Friday in his city hall office marking five years in the job.

He quickly rhymed off a list of actions that the city has taken under his leadership, from climate change projects like green roofs to tax incentives for businesses to set up shop in certain neighbourhoods.

Construction is underway on the waterfront, including the new Corus building and George Brown College, plus parks and boardwalks, he said.

Miller pointed to the balanced operating budget – $8.2 billion, with a 3.75 per cent residential property tax hike – that was presented in January, the first in a decade in which the city managed to balance its books without waiting for help from the province.

Now at the halfway point of his second mandate, Miller projects a confident air.

In a series of snapshots yesterday, the Star assessed his performance, rating it as a failure on a number of issues, from hiring accountability officers to revitalizing Union Station.

While he has taken the politically difficult step of raising revenues through a municipal land transfer tax and vehicle registration fee, the battle was messy, involving a deferral vote by rebellious councillors, followed by threats to close community centres on Mondays and shut down the Sheppard subway indefinitely.

Eventually, the taxes were approved, but watered down, delivering much lower revenue than originally estimated.

"I have to build a coalition on every single vote," Miller said. "Are some of the debates tough? Do some of the proposals get changed? Yes, of course."

But Miller argued that's part of legitimate municipal government, where councillors have to come together to forge agreement.

Even though Miller has championed a user-pay system for garbage, with new required bins, the rollout has been far from smooth. Some 75,000 bins are yet to be delivered, though charges began this month.

Miller conceded residents in some areas of the city are frustrated, but he argued the program could not be delayed.

"If you look at the big picture, it's a complete transformation of how we do it. We will get through these initial hurdles," he said. "Where it's fully implemented, it's working."

Miller emphasized that when he first took office in 2003, the city was still recovering from the MFP computer leasing scandal.

His first term was focused on turning the government around to ensure it would work properly, and laying the foundation for other changes.

"In this term, the only criticism I would make is we're doing so much, Torontonians often don't realize how successful and advanced their city government is," he said, citing new policies to help find permanent housing for the homeless and the initial work on the Transit City streetcar network.

Moderate politicians, who vote with Miller sometimes, agree the mayor has a huge agenda. But they say it's often hard to measure success.

"Overall, he's doing well, but there have been some bumps," said Councillor Paul Ainslie, pointing to the one-vote, 23-22, victory last month over those who had hoped to see the TTC deemed an essential service.

"It was another nail-biter," he said, similar to the deferral vote on the land transfer tax, where the deciding vote was against the mayor.

A broad climate-change policy was endorsed unanimously last year, but Ainslie said it's hard to measure what that actually means for residents. "In politics, people need tangibles," he said.

Councillor Peter Milczyn believes there needs to be stronger political oversight of city staff on key projects.

"When the mayor has an aggressive and progressive agenda, you can't simply accept that the staff will manage it," he said. "You can have the best idea in the world, but if there's no sense of urgency, it won't get done."

Source

With the Mayor's response, Royson's piece looks ever more bitter and personal. James acknowledges Miller's work on Transit City as a footnote and brushes off more police officers, fewer potholes and art investment. These are important achievements.
His article completely sidesteps the major improvement in relationships with the upper levels of government and the resulting sustainable funding and upload of Harris era programs.

I will definitely agree that Miller hasn't lived up to the hype, but then again, the bar was set so high when Toronto Life proclaimed him "Super Miller" with the mayor wearing blue and red tights.

By the way, I should add that I'm not a big fan of Transit City because I'm a transit fan and think this city would benefit more with subways instead. However, I must say that it took some big vision to propose a realistic transit project that will blanket the entire city in such a short period.

The city won't rely on subway corridors through the city to commute. People will disperse to these smaller capacity lines instead. Some of these lines will be built with the foresight of converting to a subway at some point in the future (i.e. Eglinton). I think it can work.

Miller could have proposed a plan for subways all over the place but none of it would get built because subways are out of our financial reach. We need to be realistic and get going, not stall while waiting for money for the big stuff.

Not ever buying a car because you can't afford a Ferrari is plain dumb logic. Apply that to what Miller is doing and you see that he's getting more things done than Royson claims.

I will definitely agree that Miller hasn't lived up to the hype, but then again, the bar was set so high when Toronto Life proclaimed him "Super Miller" with the mayor wearing blue and red tights.

It's like how I expect Obama will be - not living up to the hype as a result that this guy was just so much different than the general establishment (Miller being the only really credible non-establishment choice compared to Barbara Hall and Tammany Hall's Tory) and preceeding a horrible failure of epic proportions (Lastman/Bush). Miller plays McGuinty politics - run a relatively competant, but not all that dynamic, adminstration with a few good things implemeented, incrementalism, and few things that piss people off and a few minor embarrasments.

My problem with Miller also stems from his lack of vision on transit.

But I don't see how subways = Ferraris. Actually, investing in subways are more akin to buying a solidly-built family sedan like a Camry; Transit City is comparable to buying a Yugo -- a cheap ride in the short term that will have to be replaced before long.

Right... my analogy isn't waterproof. What I meant is that planning a subway network is not achievable. The proof is in the lack of progress we've seen for decades since the subway was first inaugurated. That has nothing to do with our Mayors and everything to do with the economics of building subways.

Toronto on its own could never fund such a massive expenditure in subway building. While we wait for the feds and the province to somehow come up with the equivalent sum of money of Move Ontario but for Toronto alone -- absolutely not going to happen -- transit is grinding to a halt. Subways and streetcars are jam packed during rush hour and at times, its easier and quicker to walk.

So on the contrary, Miller has an abundance of vision on transit: Having the brilliant foresight and political cojones to come up with a plan that will blanket the city with transit at a tiny fraction of the cost of building subways, and at a value that is absolutely achievable is what I see as the making of a great Mayor.

He's working with what he has -- no money, no power, citizens who don't understand the former and the latter -- and I think he's making the best of it.

I don't want to turn this into a Transit City debate, but I must say that the vast majority of the lines will remain as built while in 10, 15 years, a few of them will be re-visited and transformed into a subway line.

I think that dispersing people to a smaller capacity but a greater number of lines will end up building the city uniformly and allowing everybody to experience great transit at their front door.

Subways are meant to conglomerate masses of people on to single transit corridors. Transit City will transport people from where they are already, reducing the need to carry as many people on those mass corridors, thus allowing the TC lines to work at or below capacity.

If Miller pulls off Transit City, however unpopular he may be when he leaves office, he will be known by the history books as a great Mayor.

Last edited:
so, far it looks like were certain to elect a moderate or right of centre mayor next time.

Any one decent with a "law and order" agenda wold win handily, considering Miller is not running again.

Imo he sucks bur he has become a bit more moderate in the past few years.

However he is surrounded by all those idealistic NDP'ers at City Hall, who just waste money.

Pro
-Significant development especially downtown
-Arts Renaissance
-Number of trendy nieghbourhoods growing
-Finally establishing some real realtions with the province.

Con
-Is a typical Tax and Spend liberal
-Wastes a lot of money for no reason, considering the fact the population growth for the city is around 1%.
- Has done little to improve Transit overall and bring the TTC from the 1980's. If however Transit City works, who knows.
- He has let violent crime takeover many parts of the city and does not put much attention to areas north of the 401 west of Victoria Park.
- His approaches to solving problems is creating the ideal, and looking at reality.

I hope for not a crazy Rudy Giuliani mayor, but for a more realistic moderate mayor.

Back