News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Only safely outside the transit forum could one get away with so much Transit City boosterism.

I can't wait to see how the TTC's engineers propose to bring this back-of-the-napkin plan into reality (especially the Jane LRT), never mind the price tag.

It's time for City Hall to start having parties. Parties would:
- Let citizens have a clearer idea of who to hold responsible.
- Force Councillors to present a coordinated vision for the city as a whole.
- Add an additional layer of accountability by ensuring Councillors don't embarrass their party.
- Let more of the down-and-dirty debating occur outside the council chambers.

I know there are downsides as well, but I really do think it's time for parties rather than 44 fiefdoms. A law requiring that parties not be branches of the provincial/federal parties could be passed, as has been done in other cities.

so, far it looks like were certain to elect a moderate or right of centre mayor next time.

Any one decent with a "law and order" agenda wold win handily, considering Miller is not running again.

Imo he sucks bur he has become a bit more moderate in the past few years.

However he is surrounded by all those idealistic NDP'ers at City Hall, who just waste money.

Pro
-Significant development especially downtown
-Arts Renaissance
-Number of trendy nieghbourhoods growing
-Finally establishing some real realtions with the province.

Con
-Is a typical Tax and Spend liberal
-Wastes a lot of money for no reason, considering the fact the population growth for the city is around 1%.
- Has done little to improve Transit overall and bring the TTC from the 1980's. If however Transit City works, who knows.
- He has let violent crime takeover many parts of the city and does not put much attention to areas north of the 401 west of Victoria Park.
- His approaches to solving problems is creating the ideal, and looking at reality.

I hope for not a crazy Rudy Giuliani mayor, but for a more realistic moderate mayor.

Very good assessment Lordmandeep.

Aside from rumblings that he wants to do three terms, I think that he should not run again for the reasons that ShonTron stated. He's a "Steady as she goes" Mayor: Keep things running, work on important oiling of the machine in the background. No big fireworks. He probably won't get re-elected and he should spare himself the defeat and leave gracefully.

Should he want to run again or at least leave a palpable legacy Miller should aim to get the following projects completed:

- West8/DTPH Queens Quay Project
- Gardiner tear down begun and East and West Bayfront under real construction
- Main Transit City lines well into their contruction and a plan to fully fund the entire project
- Union Station plans ready to be implemented

Come to think of it, Miller's plans seem to need 3 terms to implement. IF he runs and pulls off a win, his third term is going to make him a very popular man with all the projects that he worked on coming to completion.

Miller plays McGuinty politics - run a relatively competant, but not all that dynamic, adminstration with a few good things implemeented, incrementalism, and few things that piss people off and a few minor embarrasments.

I agree, although I do not think it is anything to do with 'competence' which would imply actually achieving something so much as an effective and unwavering determination to not do anything bold or meaningful. It is such a shame that Canada's central province under McGuinty and Canada's central city under Miller have been so underserved by such unambitious and uninspired leadership, and this at a time of relative long term and stable economic prosperity.

As for subways, they are simply the only responsible long term response to gridlock, population growth and urban density in a city the size of Toronto. This should have been forseen and planned years ago, but not doing so now is unforgivable as we are already starting to suffer the effects of a woefully inadequate system of mass transtit. Just wait five or ten years!

For all my criticisms of Miller I would have to say that his record to date is mixed, to moderately above average. Perhaps the bar was just set so low by Lastman. After all this time however I still can't get over something about aspects of his character that bug me. OK so he is no grand visionary leader, no one but a few dilusional young urban supporters ever expected that from the man. However, he seems to harbour a certain rigidity and arrogance. He has also demonstrated on many occasions that the interests of the city are of secondary importance to his personal positions. This can be a strength and all matters are shades of grey but to a pragmatist like myself it is slightly unsatisfying to have this trait displayed in a leader.

Only safely outside the transit forum could one get away with so much Transit City boosterism.

I can't wait to see how the TTC's engineers propose to bring this back-of-the-napkin plan into reality (especially the Jane LRT), never mind the price tag.

Ha ha ha! Miller a great mayor for a bunch of glorified streetcar lines drawn out of nowhere, trying to reach out to everywhere no matter how little the lines make sense? He'd be remembered as a greater mayor for getting the downtown line started and a few long-planned transit projects, like Sheppard completion, and maybe the Eglinton LRT.

Where's that Scarberian fellow, anyway?

Yeah, Scarberiankhatru should pop by this thread, shouldn't he?

Transit City will cost nearly $10 Billion - that will buy you a lot of subway. The problem is the lack of vision, not the costs, otherwise no other city would build them. Sorry, but Transit City is not what would make Miller great.

Ask, and you shall receive!

If every vote for Miller became, in effect, a vote of confidence for Transycophant City, I did my share: I voted for Pitfield...:)

It's true that some politicians have almost nothing but highs and lows during their term while others spin their wheels and get little done (or, get just little things done), suffering no huge setbacks or disasters. Miller's one of the latter (as is McGuinty), which perhaps isn't surprising considering some people voted for him because he would *not* build something big (the Island bridge). A full term or two of the status quo is perfectly fine as long as the next mayor manages to accomplish something and isn't forced to spend years fixing mistakes...in that case, the Miller years may be seen as having laid a solid foundation for future improvements (no steps backward), but what if the next mayor['s term] is a huge failure? If that happens, the Miller years, too, will be seen as a total failure...by me, anyway. It's interesting to note that 3 of the 4 pros listed by lordmandeep are just things that happened during Miller's reign for which he will sort of take credit.

Miller may not have gotten many big things done, but he also does lots of little things wrong, like threatening to close libraries and shut down the Sheppard subway (even though the TTC's surface routes are the real black holes of funding...the Sheppard threat was just another dig at Lastman) instead of doing something outrageous like increasing revenues by tens of millions of dollars every year just by raising property taxes by two or three dollars per month. He's also letting unions run the city and seems to do nothing to stop them from gobbling up an ever large slice of the pie. So, if he's not getting big things done, is he really that successful at micromanaging behind the scenes, either?

It's certainly true that vision is the problem, not costs, when it comes to transit. Scarberians were briefly annoyed when the promised Danforth subway extension to STC was pooh-poohed but no one seems to have noticed that the alternatives to this cheap subway extension are costing three times as much. "Sorry, Scarborough, we can't afford $1.2B for this subway project, so here's $3B or $4B in other LRT projects to make it up to you." Umm, why not extend the subway and then also spend the remaining two-plus billion dollars on other transit lines? Oh, yeah, because Miller is fighting an ideological battle against subways. Toronto has a successful - albeit inadequately small - subway network, we had plans for further expansions well into Miller's term, every other city in the world our size is building them, and the provincial government has proposed spending enough on transit to more than cover all the subway construction Toronto would *ever* need.

Even if Toronto was blanketed in LRT lines - well, more accurately, if 6 of the dozens of major corridors in the city were converted from buses to streetcars - it's amusing to compare the transit benefits of this $9+ billion plan to the transit benefits from something [cheaper] like improving GO lines or the DRL. Miller may be keen on redeveloping the suburbs into urbanlicious Avenues but there's no need to burn through a rare transit funding windfall by wasting billions on pet projects to priority neighbourhoods when he could accomplish the same thing, for free, by simple rezoning, letting the transit funding actually be used for something crazy like efficiently moving people around the city.

You make some good points scarberiankhatru (how the hell do you even pronounce that..Scar..scarberina..ahh..flsugh!)..Nonetheless, I have heard a lot of grumbling in my neighbourhood about Miller and it is definitely getting louder and ever more opposed to his antics. While he may have some good ideas, I think the lack of foresight is key here. The new garbage and recycling cans is a perfect example of bad planning and rushed ideas with negative implications.

With regards to transit, this city has become timid and essentially shows subways and tunneling the cold shoulder. Why? Because, Miller amongst many other city politicians are playing the game of career politics and when this is your prerogative, then job security is your primary concern and then maybe some other city based issues.

Naturally, not everything can get done, or will be financially or physically feasible, but I think what it really comes down to with respect to transit is a well-balanced combination of all forms of public transit: Bus, LRT, Subway and Regional Train service and until ever level of government gets this, we will be stuck with horrible plans like TransitCity. Come, on I don't want to ride an LRT for 55 minutes to the Airport -that just sound inane..

It's time for City Hall to start having parties. Parties would:
- Let citizens have a clearer idea of who to hold responsible.
- Force Councillors to present a coordinated vision for the city as a whole.
- Add an additional layer of accountability by ensuring Councillors don't embarrass their party.
- Let more of the down-and-dirty debating occur outside the council chambers.

I do tend to agree with most of this as well..Why are those in City Hall hiding the political colours? We all know Miller is an NDP, Pitfield a Conservative and Minan-Wong a Jack-ass! ..

p5

I do tend to agree with most of this as well..Why are those in City Hall hiding the political colours? We all know Miller is an NDP, Pitfield a Conservative and Minan-Wong a Jack-ass! ..

I am really starting to like the idea of a party system in Toronto, though there's issues there as well. While they should be separate from provincial/federal parties, that will not really matter as they will likely follow those lines anyway. Vancouver has the Non-Partisan Alliance, which actually is partisan - allied closely with the provincial Liberals, who came out of the old Socreds. The opposition (used to be called the Coalition of Progressive Electors) is closely allied with the NDP, which in BC is slightly to the right of the federal NDP.

Really good or popular councillors - the Mihevcs of council - would remain without difficulty, just as locally popular MPPs and MPs are usually re-elected despite their party fortunes. It would mean though that the mushy middle will be easier to replace, and there would have to be common core platforms as well as campaigning on local issues. It would mean some discipline, but also let voters know roughly where their candidates stand as a whole. A 45 member council, all cats fighting with each other, doesn't work well, and I prefer a party system than further cuts to council's size.

BTW - I've now seen Transit City ads on illegal billboards along the 401!

It's time for City Hall to start having parties.

When I first read that I thought that regular parties would at least liven up the place and make it a little more fun. But then I read the rest of your post.

I know there are downsides as well, but I really do think it's time for parties rather than 44 fiefdoms. A law requiring that parties not be branches of the provincial/federal parties could be passed, as has been done in other cities.

As much as I would like to avoid parties at the municipal level, the point of 44 fiefdoms can't be avoided. Maybe if people understood where their prospective councillors were situated politically, they might move away from just voting for someone because that person was voted in last time.

This city has a population which is larger than that of entire provinces. That fact alone suggests a need for a more effective system of representation.

I've got to say that I agree. Parties would solve a lot of the problems of City Hall. It would dramatically improve accountability. Parties could run on platforms and then be held accountable if their commitments aren't implemented. These days, you can have a mayor and council majority with completely divergent priorities. Moreover, no party would allow a person like Rob Ford to run as one of their candidates. After all, the NDP already has a caucus at City Hall, so it's not like parties don't exist. I'm not sure whether it would be better to have them formally tied in with the federal parties, or have differently-named surrogates. In the latter case, it tends to mean that the Liberals divide themselves between a right- (Tory) and a left-wing (NDP) party.

Moreover, no party would allow a person like Rob Ford to run as one of their candidates.

Why wouldn't the Tories? After all, he's an incumbent, and affiliated, and they need all the existing blood they can get. (Then again, if it's all about *nominations*--let's say, a la the Vancouver mayoralty, or even the race to succeed Olivia Chow as a municipal NDP candidate--he could well lose, unless he controls the local machine. One never knows.)

They surely would have in the past, but after his drunken escapades, there's no way they would have kept him in their caucus. Right now, he just reflects badly on himself (and, arguably, on council as a whole). As a member of a party, he would reflect badly on that party across the city.

Miller is going to be there until Toronto finds something better than a little known councillor with no political operation and a joke former Liberal party apparatchik with stupid dress sense and who doesn't pay his taxes to run against him. If Enza Supermodel ran against him next time up she might have a shot.

Back