News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

khris

Member Bio
Reaction score
'De-malling' Mississauga's core
Planners target pillar of suburban sprawl in grand transformation of city's downtown
Nov 04, 2008 04:30 AM
Phinjo Gombu
Urban Affairs Reporter

The transformation of Mississauga may just begin with the central artifact of suburban sprawl: the mall.

"De-malling," a hot trend in urbanism, involves transforming ailing, aging malls – of which Mississauga has its share – into something completely different: denser, mixed-use, pedestrian-friendly hubs with buildings where people "will linger, live, work and play," according to one consultant.

Planners in Mississauga presented their dream of reinventing these traditionally car-oriented destinations – while leaving surrounding traditional neighbourhoods intact – in a plan presented to city council yesterday.

Containing growth projections for the next two decades and beyond, the plan is predicated on provincial goals of curtailing sprawl and spending large sums on improving public transit across GTA. It's also prompted by the reality that Mississauga has no agricultural land left to build on, with the last several hundred hectares in the city's west end expected to be built over by next year, and that intensification is the only option left to grow.

There's no question tens of thousands of people are going to move into the so-called Urban Growth Centre that extends around the massive Square One Shopping Centre at the city's heart, all the way down Hurontario St. to the QEW.

That's the focus of a visioning exercise called Downtown 21 that wants to reinvigorate the core area, including building smaller city blocks and doing away with surface parking – another staple suburban convenience.

But what's generating excitement among planners is the idea of "community nodes" anchored by smaller, often tired shopping centres such as Meadowvale, Erin Mills, South Common and Sheridan, and at major intersections such as Dundas St. and Dixie Rd., that can become real "places" – just like Port Credit and Streetsville, established communities with their own vibrant street life. In place of vast hectares of surface parking around the mall, these nodes would sprout six- to 12-storey buildings and a commercial presence at street level to encourage walking and use of transit. Surface parking would be mostly eliminated.

Two major community nodes around central Erin Mills and the "uptown" area around Hurontario St. and Eglinton Ave. could have buildings as high as 25 storeys.

Mississauga planners Angela Dietrich and Paulina Mikicich acknowledge that the private sector still has to buy into the idea. But they think there is one ready-made market that could easily help populate these so-called "community nodes." That would be aging homeowners who have lived for decades in the sprawling residential subdivisions around the malls, but want to downsize as they get older without having to move out of the neighbourhood. What better place, they say, than to be near transit and in a setting less isolating than a single-detached home.

Younger families moving into the traditional homes nearby would also benefit from being close to transit- and pedestrian-friendly community nodes where they can take care of daily shopping and other needs. "We think it's a great option for (developers) to make more intensive use of their properties, as well as create a very desirable urban form," said Dietrich.

Planning is already underway to develop the street-level "look" of the new communities they envision. Planning commissioner Ed Sajecki said new planning realities are inevitable as the city transforms itself from suburban to urban.

"If we are going to spend billions of dollars on transit, we want to make sure that our land use and density policies are designed in such a way that it is transit-supportive," said Sajecki.

"A lot of Mississauga has been built on single-use development (residential areas for living, shopping centres for shopping) ... This is about mixed use along nodes and corridors."

Mississauga's growth plan projects an injection of about 100,000 more people into the city in the next 20 years, under provincial population targets.

Officials say the city can easily accommodate double that number, even triple, if the market demand develops and the province revisits its forecasts in the near future.

The kind of community they want to offer in these areas could be an attractive alternative to traditional suburban development, which may have been pioneered in places like Mississauga but today is acknowledged as unsustainable and a recipe for gridlock. The "de-malling" plan is an acknowledgement that what's been done can be undone, as Mississauga enters its second phase of development.

"You have to dispel the notion that Mississauga is built out," planning policy director John Calvert told councillors. "We're far from that."

Source

I definitely think that one area pointed out in the article could use major improvement is Dixie & Dundas. It's horrible and could really use a complete overhaul.

I grew up in Mississauga, living at Derry Rd. and Winston Churchill from 5years old in 1976 until 1988 when I moved to Toronto Beach(es). I often wonder whenever I return to Mississauga of how the area would have developed had the farms and rural feel of the place been mandated as protected space.

They should encourage more high-density retail and office development in the Cooksville area like the Colonnade. An LRT line that runs between Square One and Cooksville would probably help. If only the GO station was more accessible.

I like the comments on the Star page. Lots of "Remove surface parking?!?! But I like to drive!!!"

This is great news, but I wonder how quickly people's habits will change. If the malls at the core of these communities remain intact people might just continue doing what they've been doing all along.

This sounds like a great idea for Shoppers World in Brampton, which has a lot of residential nearby already.

Are malls really the problem? Or is it just the way the suburban malls are designed (with those horrible-to-cross parking lots?).

I say this because I often use the Eatons Centre as an indoor street. I'll cut inside if I'd otherwise walk south down Yonge. And parts of SquareOne function this way too.

Living in a climate with such an extreme winter, I wish we had more indoor 'civic' type space to take advantage of. I think malls could easily fit this programme if used our imaginations a bit more.

Are malls really the problem? Or is it just the way the suburban malls are designed (with those horrible-to-cross parking lots?).

I say this because I often use the Eatons Centre as an indoor street. I'll cut inside if I'd otherwise walk south down Yonge. And parts of SquareOne function this way too.

Living in a climate with such an extreme winter, I wish we had more indoor 'civic' type space to take advantage of. I think malls could easily fit this programme if used our imaginations a bit more.

I live on the south side of Square One, and when I need to get to the bus terminal, or the north side of Square One, such as Chapters or Coliseum, I walk through Square One if it's open, because it saves me time, and is better than walking through a giant parking lot.

Back