News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Sure I can. If we were serious about improving the public realm we would start with streets that are already on their way. Low hanging fruit in other words. I'm not really qualified to make suggestions, but Kensington Market seems much more pedestrian friendly.

We should be looking at improving the streetscape all over. Jarvis came up likely because of its historical importance to the city.

Come on, that doesn't sound Hellen Lovejoy-ish to you? Kids go to school along much wider roads and don't suffer. That is why I suggested the city poll developers and real estate agents, to get a picture of what they feel the impact of an extra 5 meters of road is. Obviously it doesn't show up in reduced safety (pedestrian or automotive), deranged pedestrian patterns or much else.

The width of the road is mostly irrelevant. Anyone who's experienced Jarvis street knows that it's a very fast-moving road. The speed needed to come down given that it's now home to a great number of people.

They could have done that and maintained the reversible middle lane, I guess. But the lane is ugly and streetscape improvement is a big part of this proposal.

Also, to try to deflect some of the "This is all about bikes versus cars!" discussion, I thought this bit was interesting from The Star today:

The bike lanes would cost $50,000 to $100,000 to create, according to transportation officials, and be fairly easy to install, possibly as early as this fall. The remaining upgrades would require a construction season to complete.

So the bike lanes are only like 2% of a 6.3 million dollar project.

(Unfortunately, The Star still headlined the article 'Bikes win in Jarvis overhaul' but I think that's just because they're trolling for angry reader comments.)

Click on this link to see an article on the coming oil shortage. It is on controversial economist Jeff Rubin who talks about his new book, Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller, in which he discusses his theory that oil scarcity. This makes the bike lanes ahead of its time.

Quoting from the article:
Mr. Rubin built his reputation on a number of successful predictions, including one in 2000 that oil prices would hit $50 (U.S.) a barrel within five years and correctly calling the residential real estate market bust in the early 1990s. He was named Canada's top economist a number of times.

Mr. Rubin recently forecast that the price of oil will reach $225 a barrel by 2012.

We should be looking at improving the streetscape all over. Jarvis came up likely because of its historical importance to the city.

I agree that Jarvis was selected based on its historical value. Every presentation is splattered with pictures of mansions along a bucolic avenue. That is sort of my point though, the project is less about working with what we have (which is most definitely not a beautiful, intimate lane) and is about mobilizing emotions.

GraphicMatt said:
The width of the road is mostly irrelevant. Anyone who's experienced Jarvis street knows that it's a very fast-moving road. The speed needed to come down given that it's now home to a great number of people.

I am somewhat sympathetic to this. The reports did note that there were slightly abnormal pedestrian patterns along parts of Jarvis which have atypically large blocks, limiting the ability of pedestrians to cross. That could be a worthwhile matter to address, but I'm not sure the current proposal addresses that. That would both slow traffic (more stops) and improve pedestrian flows.

Also, I'm not sure Jarvis' population has really changed that much since the '90s. I don't have the figures on hand for the study area, but I have difficulty imagining that nobody lived around Jarvis and now, tickity boo, its Hong Kong.

At least its nice to finally get the obvious stated that Jarvis' width is "mostly irrelevant."

Peddling for votes
Tuesday, May 26, 2009 04:28 PM

Andrew Steele

The recent decision by the pro-David Miller majority on Toronto City Council to file an application for an environmental assessment on reducing the number of car lanes on Jarvis in order to provide dedicated lanes for bikes is a fascinating example of political mathematics.

A few fast facts are needed to understand the calculation.

First, voter turnout in past Toronto municipal elections was abysmal. In 2006 it was just 39.3 per cent. Prior to that, the electoral list included as many as 300,000 ineligible voters, making true comparisons impossible, but we can say conclusively it was terrible.

Second, 2 per cent of Toronto commuters routinely travel by bicycle .

Third, David Miller will face no credible opponent to his left. However, he may face multiple credible opponents to his right.

Now, let’s apply those facts to the situation.

First of all, in a low turnout election, you can win with the support of just 20 per cent of the population (that’s half the vote in an election where 40 per cent turn out.) With the multiple minor candidates and typically several credible ones, typically a candidate can win with significantly less.

The challenge in a low turnout election is not getting a disinterested and low-information mushy middle voter to cast their ballot for you when they trudge to the polls to exercise their duty. It is to motivate groups of voters who are likely to vote for you to go to the polls at all.

As such, it is critical to assemble an idea of what you want your coalition to look like well before the election, and then set about energizing those voters to cast ballots.

Bike commuters are a part of Miller’s planned coalition. Some others include public sector union members, transit commuters, renters, downtown residents, new Canadians, environmental voters, and a number of additional segments.

But bike commuters are only 2 per cent of the population, you say. That’s hardly worth going after.

In an election where only 40 per cent of the electorate votes, 2 per cent of the population – if it turns out to vote en masse – is actually 5 per cent of the electorate. That is a pretty big bloc of voters; equivalent to, say, Manitoba in a federal election.

Again, in a low turnout election, the challenge is not that the group seems small. It is that they must be highly motivated.

It is reasonable to expect that those bikers, who put their safety on the line every day to get to work, can be motivated with an emotional appeal to their commuting experience. It is also reasonable to assume that championing their safety in a high-profile confrontation will make these commuters highly motivated to both turn out to vote, and to vote for their champion.

As a result, Mayor Miller wanted to polarize the situation into one where he was the champion of the bike commuters and his potential opponents – councilors like Denzil Minnan-Wong and Karen Stintz - were off-side with bike commuters. This is a good move for Candidate Miller because it helps motivate 5 per cent of the electorate.

By creating a high-profile stand-off over the Jarvis situation, he did that. Most bike commuters noticed the confrontation as part of a pattern of earlier and future efforts to win over bikers. And as they get closer to the election, Miller’s campaign will work to ensure that – for those voters – it is a simple ballot question: David Miller is keeping me safe; those other guys are going to get me hit by a car.

In addition, those most offended by the issue were the wealthy commuters of Moore Park and Rosedale. This is a group that is a base to any coalition of voters that will coalesce around his pro-business opponents. Keep in mind, the decision yesterday was to launch an environmental assessment to alter Jarvis. It is unlikely the lane reduction will actually be in effect by the date of the election (unless Miller pushes it.) This means those impacted by the decision won’t feel the effects, thus remaining less engaged and less outraged about the issue.

More importantly, the Jarvis issue angers a very tiny and regionally clustered segment of potential voters in those regions. But the city-wide bike commuter community is watching and likely voting accordingly. Again, if you bike to work, that is probably your voting issue municipally. But if you drive to work, you may vote on property taxes, or airport bridges, or potholes, or any old thing.

Miller’s opponents will try to mobilizes opponents of the Jarvis route change. But with no tangible impact yet felt, it will be an uphill battle. And the harder they press, the more they motivate the bike commuters to vote for Miller.

Expect this pattern to play out for the next eighteen months.

With no opponent to his left, Miller can seize the left pole of any issue. He is then free to polarize and energize the electorate as he chooses.

In contrast, his likely opponents have a very unclear picture of potential challengers to their right or in the centre between them and Miller. They have less range of motion on issues and are instead adopting a reactive “oppose everything†stance that is an unavoidable mistake.

The two most likely candidates – Karen Stintz and Denzil Minnan-Wong – are both city councilors who are falling into the opposition mentality: if Miller does it, I oppose it. The result is they are constantly falling into these traps laid by Miller, playing the foil so he can energize blocs of voters into his coalition.

Until someone gets out of the City Council hot house and runs on his or her own terms with a positive agenda for change, the opposition to Miller is only feeding him.

There's a bunch of condo projects on Jarvis (Glasshouse, X) and a whole bunch more nearby which will add foot traffic to Jarvis.

Also: Miller's going to totally walk away with the next election if the best opposition is Minnan-Wong or Stintz. I think the editorial you posted is kind of off-base as I don't think Miller is that politically savvy (this was Rae's issue, not Miller's), but he's a Kennedy compared to those two.

Click on this link to see an article on the coming oil shortage. It is on controversial economist Jeff Rubin who talks about his new book, Why Your World Is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller, in which he discusses his theory that oil scarcity. This makes the bike lanes ahead of its time.

Quoting from the article:

Considering that Rubin got canned from CIBC, and also predicted that oil would be above $200 per barrel by now, and that he most likely has a stake in high oil prices, and it is easy to dismiss him.

actually he quit

That is usually a polite way of getting fired. Like how rich prep schools never expel students, they just make it clear that they should be elsewhere.

confusion said:
That is the key point so many don't seem to get. I know so many who want to cycle, but are afraid of the cars.
Hasn't the "build it, they will come" approach to infrastructure been discredited since Mirabel? Shebourne, with complete bike lanes, handles about 200people/hour in peak times. While that's proportionately a hundred percent increase over Jarvis, its only an extra 180 people. In other words, nothing.

That is usually a polite way of getting fired. Like how rich prep schools never expel students, they just make it clear that they should be elsewhere.

"I don't believe the official line because it doesn't fit it with what I want to be true, and in some instances, sometimes, that's what happens." That's your proof? Occam's razor, my friend.

Hasn't the "build it, they will come" approach to infrastructure been discredited since Mirabel? Shebourne, with complete bike lanes, handles about 200people/hour in peak times. While that's proportionately a hundred percent increase over Jarvis, its only an extra 180 people. In other words, nothing.

Look, I don't know why this is being framed (again and again) around the issue of cyclists. This is about a street improvement project which hopes to slow down traffic flow for the sake of pedestrians, and improve the street scape. Oh, and there's a cycling lane thrown in, too, as it will be about 2% of the cost of the project, and we're digging up the street anyway.

Please argue against that. This isn't all being done for a handful of cyclists, it's being done to make an important avenue of the the city somewhere to be, rather than somewhere to drive through as quickly as possible.

"I don't believe the official line because it doesn't fit it with what I want to be true, and in some instances, sometimes, that's what happens." That's your proof? Occam's razor, my friend.
Its not my proof, its common knowledge that nobody in the financial industry of any stature is ever "fired." They retire, quite, and move on. Its a common euphemism for being fired. If somebody "quits" after their portfolio commits seppuku, all of their predictions have turned out to be flamingly wrong and doesn't get hired by anyone else, what do you think happened?

Look, I don't know why this is being framed (again and again) around the issue of cyclists. This is about a street improvement project which hopes to slow down traffic flow for the sake of pedestrians, and improve the street scape. Oh, and there's a cycling lane thrown in, too, as it will be about 2% of the cost of the project, and we're digging up the street anyway.

Because, as hard is this is to believe, most people who are against this project have nothing against street improvements. If all we were talking about was planting some trees and other such improvements to the public realm, nobody would care. Probably, most people would be quite happy. Whats unbelievably clear though is that the only controversial bit is removing the 5th lane in favor of two bike lanes. Given that nobody has shown how this will a.)help cyclists b.)help drivers or c.)improve the public realm beyond issuing asinine denunciations of Moore Park and claims that, in the future, we will all ride bicycles through some kind of event horizon of logic, questioning it is absolutely fair. The project backers, including Kyle Rae & Miller, have clearly promoted this as a major step forward to bicyclists. Its totally fair to question that assumption.

What I don't get is this blind faith some people have that every and all projects must include cycling lanes. Even the otherwise decent project to remodel Bloor St. got chewed out for daring to prioritize pedestrians and streetscape improvements over a few dozen bicyclist. There isn't a street cross section nowadays coming out of city hall that doesn't include bike lanes for fear of being labeled retro-grade Mike Harris spawn by Critical Mass types.

Its not my proof, its common knowledge that nobody in the financial industry of any stature is ever "fired." They retire, quite, and move on. Its a common euphemism for being fired. If somebody "quits" after their portfolio commits seppuku, all of their predictions have turned out to be flamingly wrong and doesn't get hired by anyone else, what do you think happened?

I don't know what happened. I just wonder what they say when someone actually does quit, then.

Because, as hard is this is to believe, most people who are against this project have nothing against street improvements. If all we were talking about was planting some trees and other such improvements to the public realm, nobody would care. Probably, most people would be quite happy. Whats unbelievably clear though is that the only controversial bit is removing the 5th lane in favor of two bike lanes. Given that nobody has shown how this will a.)help cyclists b.)help drivers or c.)improve the public realm beyond issuing asinine denunciations of Moore Park and claims that, in the future, we will all ride bicycles through some kind of event horizon of logic, questioning it is absolutely fair. The project backers, including Kyle Rae & Miller, have clearly promoted this as a major step forward to bicyclists. Its totally fair to question that assumption.

What I don't get is this blind faith some people have that every and all projects must include cycling lanes. Even the otherwise decent project to remodel Bloor St. got chewed out for daring to prioritize pedestrians and streetscape improvements over a few dozen bicyclist. There isn't a street cross section nowadays coming out of city hall that doesn't include bike lanes for fear of being labeled retro-grade Mike Harris spawn by Critical Mass types.

I could care less if this project included biking lanes, I'd still be for removing the 5th lane for the reasons myself and others have already stated: That it will slow traffic down, making it a better, safer place for those who live in the area, as well as add space for pedestrians, trees, and the like.

Would you be for this project if it took out the 5th lane and didn't give cyclists a path? Do you just not want them to get anymore out of spite? Or are you saying you're all for street improvements, as long as that means only some trees which are kept to the side so as not to interfere with my being able to blow through the middle of the city?

Last edited:
I don't know what happened. I just wonder what they say when someone actually does quit, then.

Have a look for the official line from CIBC. He elected to leave.

I could care less if this project included biking lanes, I'd still be for removing the 5th lane for the reasons myself and others have already stated: That it will slow traffic down, making it a better, safer place for those who live in the area, as well as add space for pedestrians, trees, and the like.

Would you be for this project if it took out the 5th lane and didn't give cyclists a path? Do you just not want them to get anymore out of spite? Or are you saying you're all for street improvements, as long as that means only some trees which are kept to the side so as not to interfere with my being able to blow through the middle of the city?

Now that there is a bike lane, there doesn't seem to be space left for widening the sidewalks.

I biked Jarvis yesterday from Dundas to Adelaide on my way home at about 6pm. I made the right from Dundas, and pretty much from there to Adelaide it was a crawl. A bike lane would make it faster as a cyclist, I guess - I imagine that my experience yesterday was an anomaly.

Back