Member Bio
Reaction score
Toronto's island airport gets second, bigger ferry
Newly expanded board of port authority says it will borrow $5 million
Jan 22, 2009 04:30 AM
Vanessa Lu
Nick Aveling
Staff Reporters

Toronto's island airport is getting a new, 200-seat ferry to shuttle passengers across the water – one of the first decisions of a recently expanded Toronto Port Authority board.

And although passengers of Porter Airlines can now look forward to choosing from more seats, the decision isn't popular with everyone.

"The last thing to put money in is short-haul air," said Brian Iler of Community Air, a group that opposes the island airport. "If we're talking about climate change, we want to put money into fast rail. But here they (the federal government) are supporting what should be a dying industry.

"We've seen so much public money and public assets wasted on this airport. For them to throw yet more money in support of private enterprise makes no sense, and is just so appalling," he said.

But newly elected port authority chair Mark McQueen said the ferry, which is expected to cost about $5 million, won't require new federal funds.

"We are borrowing the money from a chartered bank, using the airport improvement fee to pay for it," he said, referring to the $15 fee paid by passengers travelling from the airport. "It's all on our own borrowing authority."

The move was divisive even within the ranks of the port authority, said McQueen.

"It's much discussed for many months. Not everybody is a fan of the airport," he said.

In recent weeks, Transport Minister John Baird has made two controversial appointments to the port authority, expanding the board from seven to nine and tipping the balance of power in favour of Tory appointees and away from the city's representative, David Gurin.

Mayor David Miller, who has repeatedly locked horns with the port authority, has called the appointments "outrageous" and an "underhanded manoeuvre."

The port authority paid $4.5 million for a 150-seat ferry in 2006, but officials argue another is needed. The current backup ferry dates from the 1950s and leaves passengers exposed to the elements.

Porter Airlines, which operates daily flights from the island, says it needs a bigger ferry for peak times.

"We do find when they have heavy loads, it is very cozy," airport director Ken Lundy said in an interview last month. "It could be expanded to give more comfort."

The new ferry is the same length and width (100 by 38 feet), but would cost more because it would have 200 seats. It would hold the same number of vehicles: 15. The ferry purchased in 2006 would become the backup shuttle.

Lundy estimates 45,000 passengers come through the airport each month.

Source

You're welcome jn_12.

I put the news up here because it was just posted today in The Star online, and because there was no topic about it.

I was just kidding around. I work for Porter so I knew about this ages ago. I have to agree with some thing in the article: it's a pain when they have to use the old ferry from the 50s when the new ferry breaks down. We had to use it on Monday because the ice in the channel caused some problems, and it's more than a little chilly on there. Not to mention, it takes forever for it to actually dock on each side. Even worse is when the channel is wavy. It's not fun for anyone when seasick passengers need to get ready to fly.

As for the need for a new ferry, it can be very tight on board the current one, especially when muliple people have multiple bags. This tends to be a problem on Friday and Sunday when you get people traveling leisurely to places like Halifax and Mont Tremblant. It definitely is only necessary at peak times though.

^That was one of the Miller election pledges that actually happened. Mind you, pledging to not build something is a little easier to accomplish than pledging to build something.

Colour me indifferent. As long as there's no public money going in, no worries. I am a Porter convert, for sure; inasmuch as we don't have high speed rail (and even if the feds decided to implement it tomorrow, trains wouldn't roll for a decade) and Pearson is so far, Porter offers a great service. I can't speak for noise impacts right on the waterfront, but I can't recall ever hearing a plane when I lived at Wellington and Stewart.

Porter is great for students and tourists and great for business travellers, who (populist railing against Blue 22 aside) do create a lot of wealth for Toronto. Let Porter have its boat....

Like I've always said, if they have a firm plan in hand for what to do with the Island Airport land (Harbour City, anyone?) then by all means, shut the airport down. If it's just going to sit as an abandoned airport for a decade then I'd much rather have porter.

In recent weeks, Transport Minister John Baird has made two controversial appointments to the port authority, expanding the board from seven to nine and tipping the balance of power in favour of Tory appointees and away from the city's representative, David Gurin.

At first I read David Gurin as David Gunn. That would have been... something, not quite sure what.

I'd love for the Island Airport to also be served by a ferry that departs from the ferry docks at Bay St. A pedestrian bridge would also be fantastic. I love Porter!

Build a stupid bridge. The ferry isn't dissuading anyone from flying Porter, all it does is burn fuel needlessly.

They could actually build a cool gateway bridge going across the channel. It would need elevators to be accessible.

You know what they should do? (But won't?) Build a footbridge. A nice, retractable drawbridge for pedestrians and cyclists. And somehow wrangle it so that they can traverse the airport and get to the islands themselves. Don't ask me how.

Lancashire,%20Widnes%20and%20Runcorn%20Transporter%20Bridge%20-%201st%20crossing%208th%20April%201905.jpg

I'm a Porter convert as well.

They should just build a short boardwalk type ped-bridge. What's the distance between the banks? I don't recall it being very long.

Back