News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

i can understand why people love porter, but what about the process (expanding the board)?

Who is paying for the ferry? It's ain't Porter, and since the Toronto Port Authority has never turned the "profit" that it is supposed to, then yes, taxpayers are paying for this ferry.

I have no beef with Porter, but the whole Toronto Port Authority situation with the Conservatives, the stacking of the board, really smells. The wafts of pure corruption coming from the TPA are overwhelming.

Yeah, Porter turned into a non-issue for the most part, though there was some basis to the fears before Porter rolled out its routes. The planes are quiet, the service is great, and it has done a good job with a relatively conservative business plan, something that has eluded other small airlines in this country.

Totally agree with regards to the TPA. It's disgusting.

Yeah, what is the TPA's problem?? Isn't the port authority supposed to be owned by the city of Toronto?? If they get taxpayers' money they should answer to the city, but they have a mind of their own. As for the ferry, why not just build a streetcar + pedestrian bridge?? I don't care about porter, but the TPA has got to stop this nonsense!

I don't think you can just build a pedestrian bridge - there isn't enough room on the mainland to build a parking lot (does anyone know how many cars shuttle across the channel each day?)

Also, for $9.5million, could we not have built a simple draw-bridge for vehicles?

Yeah, what is the TPA's problem?? Isn't the port authority supposed to be owned by the city of Toronto?? If they get taxpayers' money they should answer to the city, but they have a mind of their own. As for the ferry, why not just build a streetcar + pedestrian bridge?? I don't care about porter, but the TPA has got to stop this nonsense!

The TPA is an independent agency of the federal government and has no formal ties to the municipal government.

Yeah, what is the TPA's problem?? Isn't the port authority supposed to be owned by the city of Toronto?? If they get taxpayers' money they should answer to the city, but they have a mind of their own.
???? The Port Authority has nothing to do with the City - it's a federal agency - always has been. It receives no funds from the City - in fact it pays the city (payments in lieu of taxes). Well, I guess it receives payments from the city, whenever the city loses a lawsuit against them ... :)

Last edited:
The TPA is incompetent. The configuration of the original slip and ferry were bound to create problems. A rectangular ferry, a rectangular slip, and crosswinds and waves. There is a reason the Toronto Island ferries are oval with slips that are wide at the month and thin at the dock. The current ferry and slips were designed without any regard whatsoever to the operating conditions of the ferry.

wait, why is a federal agency taking care of such an important part of the City of Toronto?? The TPA does nothing but create problems!

If they make the boat a bit longer they could have the bow at the mainland and the stern at the island airport and simply walk the passengers through the boat. Every once in a while they could turn the boat to let traffic through the channel.

The TPA is incompetent. The configuration of the original slip and ferry were bound to create problems.
The TPA is incompetent??? The configuation of the original (2000s) slip and ferry was a bridge!!! It was the city that fucked that one up!

wait, why is a federal agency taking care of such an important part of the City of Toronto?? The TPA does nothing but create problems!

It's a federal port that falls under federal jurisdiction. And the TPA does not create problems. It's the city's consistent effort to virtually end port operations in the city that puts the TPA in constant conflict with the city. That and the insistence that the city should have control of the port lands and the island airport while presenting no viable plan to sustain them or do something better with them.

Who is paying for the ferry? It's ain't Porter, and since the Toronto Port Authority has never turned the "profit" that it is supposed to, then yes, taxpayers are paying for this ferry.

How so? The TPA has received a new breath of life ever since porter started. The $15 airport improvement fee from Porter's customers is generating tons of new revenue and will be used to pay for the new ferry. So its not taxpayers but Porter's customers that are paying for the new ferry and the airport's upgrades.

I have no beef with Porter, but the whole Toronto Port Authority situation with the Conservatives, the stacking of the board, really smells. The wafts of pure corruption coming from the TPA are overwhelming.

No different than when the Liberals were in power and they stacked the board. Would you have said that it smelled of corruption then?

No different than when the Liberals were in power and they stacked the board. Would you have said that it smelled of corruption then?

I would say yes, it has always been a corrupt organization. It should never have been created. The THC had three locally elected councillors responsible directly to the people of Toronto on its board. Now the Federal government - even a government with no seats in the City of Toronto like now - can fill it with whomever they want.

Back