News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
You're beautiful when you're angry.

Oh shuckeroos Shocks.

Back to TLS. Are we to assume that the big blank walls of corrugated metal facing on to Gould and Yonge is to remain that way. Couldn't Apple hang one of their giant ipod banners to relieve the bleakness. Even a few of Ed's big coloured spinning balls (be quiet US!) would look better than nothing.

For the most part, that wall wont be seen, so I doubt anyone would want to pay to advertise there. There are few angles where a good view of that blank wall can be seen.

I think that a big amc sign should rise from that space, going higher than the wall itself (half on, half off). Likely something raised from the current height would be seen. Maybe the name of the building should rise from that wall in 10 - 12 foot high letters.....

For the most part, that wall wont be seen, so I doubt anyone would want to pay to advertise there. There are few angles where a good view of that blank wall can be seen.

It's very difficult to miss it when you are on the west side of Yonge Street and impossible to miss when walking east on Edward Street or when looking down Edward from Bay Street.

tlsbigrv7.jpg

There was a previous post, which mentioned that tri-vision ads could not be backlit. The plans on the Metropolis design files (pdf) clearly state the area with the RBC ad in the rendering will be a trivision. If Penequity does not go with a Trivision for this portion of the layout, I think it will be extremely disappointing. Look across the street and you will notice that the A on B Media Tower has been updated very recently with a "dual-vision" ad that is actually very attractive.

tlsbigrv7.jpg

There was a previous post, which mentioned that tri-vision ads could not be backlit. The plans on the Metropolis design files (pdf) clearly state the area with the RBC ad in the rendering will be a trivision. If Penequity does not go with a Trivision for this portion of the layout, I think it will be extremely disappointing. Look across the street and you will notice that the A on B Media Tower has been updated very recently with a "dual-vision" ad that is actually very attractive.

You've got me thinking there caltrane. In theory, I can't see why trivision ads can not be back lit unless I misunderstand trivision which I thought was a 3 sided object. If lighting was inserted inside the object, that would work as backlit. Using LEDs and negative spaces on the 3 sided object could lead to some very interesting effects which would certainly give way more life to trivision ads.

A section of pixels forming a small rectangle have already failed on the new Metropolis screen. They're a continous green color. I'm surprised they failed so soon. I hope this thing doesnt end up looking as bad as the LED screens beside the subway entrance in the square.

Gotta say - I like the new rendering more as well. I was never really a fan of all the tacked on thingy's in the first design.

But the whole point of this exercise is the tacked on thingy's and flashing lights and garish-overlit excess! Hell, I want the long-lost Union Station redo render-piano decked out in LED's and spinning like a blender blade placed way up top. It's supposed to be excessive, so Toronto Half-Life should get with the program and ditch the subdued approach to this. Give us over-stimulation, not a square to sleep in. Let's see lighting that can induce a seizure, dammit.

There is no such things as muted-garishness. That's so old Toronto thinking.

the thing is barely half put together, and yet still - driving down the DVP onto the gardiner going west, with all the tall buildings and spotlights and UFO floating lights emanating from the CN Tower, the one thing you can see more prominently than anything is the big flood of light that is yonge and dundas.

subdued it is not. and if 6 months from now, when it's all put together and flashing brilliant, if anyone can take a nap in that square after dusk I would call 911 ASAP. they're probably dead.

All the stuff you see now is from the existing media glow, not the new glowing stuff to come.

You should not see a mere halo from the Gardiner, you should see a beacon of merchandising drawing you - pulling you - to its glowing maw.

All the stuff you see now is from the existing media glow, not the new glowing stuff to come.

You should not see a mere halo from the Gardiner, you should see a beacon of merchandising drawing you - pulling you - to its glowing maw.
...and you're in for a big disappointment when you get there.

A big disappointment in comparision to?
...something better that could have been built there?

Seriously, where were you going with that? I guess this could be taken to an "it's better than nothing" argument, or was it just the unfortunate Torontonian tendancy to compare itself to things?

...something better that could have been built there?

Seriously, where were you going with that? I guess this could be taken to an "it's better than nothing" argument, or was it just the unfortunate Torontonian tendancy to compare itself to things?

You're previous post said when one gets to the centre of all the glowing action at Yonge and Dundas Square there will be disappointment. It won't be disappointment to what was there before. That's for sure.

Could something better have been built there? That is a purely subjective question.

Back