News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
all this talk about escalators has me wondering...

why don't places here use the stop-go escalators i've seen in europe that stop when they sense that there is nobody on them...wouldn't that save some energy?

Nydalen Station - Oslo

The escalators speed up when it detects people on them. Also plays some funky, mellow ambiance music. Don't know if the lights negate any energy savings from the escalators.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Technical Standards and Safety Authority is what is keeping from energy efficient escalators that slow or shut off when there's no one on them. After all, they're the ones who tell the TTC that if an escalator is off, it is not to be used and barricaded until it is restarted, or walking on an escalator is a big no no... You'd have to have an automatic door leading onto any escalator with automated on/off based on their rules.
*rollseyes*

I wouldn't be surprised if the Technical Standards and Safety Authority is what is keeping from energy efficient escalators that slow or shut off when there's no one on them. After all, they're the ones who tell the TTC that if an escalator is off, it is not to be used and barricaded until it is restarted, or walking on an escalator is a big no no... You'd have to have an automatic door leading onto any escalator with automated on/off based on their rules.
*rollseyes*

Im pretty sure these escalators are installed in the Ottawa Airport I remember thinking they were broken until they started up...

The TTC actually had a few of these escalators in the subway stations a long time ago, activated by a pressure pad at their bases.. what happened to them, I'm not sure.. (see above for likely explanation).

*rollseyes*

Pearson T1 has these as well.

I know! Who the heck is designing the layout of this store? A lunch room in one of the most valuable window showcases in the city, plywood walls covering up the view to and from Dundas Square and now this... lol. Did they hire Harry Stinson to layout this FutureShop?

The CN Tower is in the observation deck business. Future Shop sells electronics. They want people in the store buying stuff, not getting in the way checking out the view.

The CN Tower is in the observation deck business. Future Shop sells electronics. They want people in the store buying stuff, not getting in the way checking out the view.

Yeah all true, but.....

They could have used that space to display new products (i.e large flat panel TV's) in the window glass facing Dundas Square. And it would have looked awesome..

PenEquity saved enough with everything else on this building... they figured they would go all out on the escalators.
Fitting that PenEquity went all out on mankind's most unrealiable invention.

Yeah all true, but.....

They could have used that space to display new products (i.e large flat panel TV's) in the window glass facing Dundas Square. And it would have looked awesome..

They are trying to sell those items to people in the store not to those across the street and one floor down. You think they want to give up space in the store for something that you think would look awesome from the street?

They are trying to sell those items to people in the store not to those across the street and one floor down. You think they want to give up space in the store for something that you think would look awesome from the street?

But right now they have a blank wall facing the square. What's the harm in throwing up a few flat screens to add some visual interest from the street?

What happened to Wolf Gang Puck?

The Milestone's addition is new. I guess it will be beneficial to take up the whole West section of the fourth floor.

Let's hope Johnny Rockets will open!!

And other decent retailers/stores open on the 1st floor.

I wonder why it is taking so long to install the Tri-Vision? A big teaser!!

There's actually a layer of reflective film on the inside of the Future Shop lunchroom and changeroom.

My understanding from my mole at PenInequity is... FS hopes that staff won't realize they are on display and random acts of naughtiness will be witnessed by pedestrians in the square (ala SkyDome hotel suites and censored Speaker's Corner footage).

This in turn will drive sales.

What happened to Wolf Gang Puck?

Driven from the city by the constant bitching on this forum.*

The Milestone's addition is new. I guess it will be beneficial to take up the whole West section of the fourth floor.

They'll have a great terrace overlooking Yonge.

Let's hope Johnny Rockets will open!!

I's rather see Lick's return to Yonge & Dundas.

And other decent retailers/stores open on the 1st floor.

I'm hoping for a Lego company store on the Yonge Street frontage.

I wonder why it is taking so long to install the Tri-Vision? A big teaser!!

They seek to taunt.

*Actually, on Wolfgang Puck's website it states that there are two locations of his W.P. Bistro that are soon to open here - at 33 Sheppard Av E, and in Forest Hill. There had been a plan to open where Patriot (no relation I assume) was in the Colonnade, but that has been dropped too.

Back