8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
It'll all be good.

Once CityTV & OMNI are up and running by summer 2009, advertising agencies will be knocking doors down to get their products up in lights on that corner. Creative media will have improved by then because once TLS is up and running it will have proven itself as another major drawing force to the area. Advertisers will begin to compete with the flashiest, most dramatic, seizure-inducing media to make their product stand out more. Yonge-Dundas Square will benefit from all of this. Soon, the area will once again be able to lay claim to being "at the centre of it all".

I really hope that the cheesy crap comes to fruition along the roof-lines of TLS.

Going up the escalator to Future Shop last Friday there were three young twenty-something men excitedly discussing how cool Yonge & Dundas was. One then remarked "this (Future shop) was an old warehouse that they converted into a Shopping Mall". A couple of "ooo's and ahhh's" came from them as we arrived at the top of the escalator. Point is, people without much of a clue love it all. Most will.

Going up the escalator to Future Shop last Friday there were three young twenty-something men excitedly discussing how cool Yonge & Dundas was. One then remarked "this (Future shop) was an old warehouse that they converted into a Shopping Mall". A couple of "ooo's and ahhh's" came from them as we arrived at the top of the escalator. Point is, people without much of a clue love it all. Most will.

Made my day, thanks.

My problem is that after returning from Bangkok, Toronto's shopping will be totally unimpressive.

Where I am now, the Shopping around the Siam section of the sky walk includes:

Siam Discovery (forget the exact name): modern multi-level shopping complex - which connects to

Siam Paragon, which is larger and more modern than Eaton Centre - around 7 floors, bottom is Ocean World, top is IMAX theatre (and other theatres). In between there is an L shaped shopping floor (longer than Eaton Centre) that wraps around Paragon Department store. The bottom floor starts with a food court, gourmet grocery store, desert stands, then runs down the length of the floor with higher end restaurants around a lagoon. On the second floor they have a Lamborgini store, a BMW store, Ferrari store, there are Lotus cars on display (which are on sale now). The shopping there is fairly high end (and again significantly larger than the eaton centre).

Central World - which was recently renovated is next to Siam Paragon, and has 7 floors each floor larger than the Eaton Centre (by 2 to 3 times the size), with stores in there.

Across the road there is the Gaysorn (or Gaythorn) shopping centre which is much smaller which has most of the major luxury brands.

Which is connected by the skywalk to another major department store (7 floors), which is also fairly high-end department store with a gourmet grocer on the ground floor.

Around the corner back from the Discovery is the MBK which is a multi-level shopping (probably around 7 floors) with lower end shopping - smaller stalls - but still great to visit.

There are several other large shopping centers around the sky train route as well.

Amazing.

And a drycleaner?

Drycleaner - have that - just don't know where :cool:

I just say I want something cleaned, and the staff take care of it. (they will take care of grocery shopping as well for a 15%)

I did go out last week and order 10 new shirts, 2 new pants, and one suit (on top of the 5 shirts, 1 pants, 2 shorts I had made on arrival) -- all taylor made :eek: Basically my years cloths shopping done.

BTW, when I buy cotton docker type pants in Canada, I can wear them out in a matter of 6 - 8 weeks of regular wear. The pants I have made here are of superior quality when it comes to material. They last until they no longer fit :eek:

As far as Tim's - sorry nope, lots of Starbucks, some Dunkin Donuts, pastry shops in Siam Paragon setup by 5 star hotels, and many different western style desert places.

No Shoppers either, you will have to go to Watson's.

There are at least 5 5 star hotels, 2 more under construction (obviously no money here :eek: ).

Can you recommend some? I constantly need pants and shirts adjusted, but I'd rather find a bona fide tailor than a drycleaner that does alterations.

There are plenty of good tailors and shirtmakers in Toronto, dahlink!

I prefer the ones here, they take your measurements. I then pick the material to be used in the shirts, then make the clothes to fit you (not just adjustments). The price I am getting is not "great" it works out to around $33/ shirt - custom made - but I have always been happy with the work done there.

grey: I go to Salgado in the TD Centre for shirts, where my measurements and style requirements are on file. He gets new cloths all the time and if I see any that take my fancy he runs me up a few more. I'm a shirt junkie.

I rarely wear suits. The last one I bought was made for Ken Thomson and he didn't pick it up; it was marked down at the Bay ( which he owned ). I had it altered slightly. I've had a couple of dinner jackets, and trousers for black tie events, made at Harry Rosen.

Back