News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
I started work today on the 8th floor (Ministry of Training, Colleges, and Universities) and the office space is pretty average B grade space. Our view is the HVAC/mechanical boxes on the roof of the theatre and Ryerson, etc., to the East. The roof of the theatre is just begging for a green roof.

Maybe a petition would help get P.E. to add a few more things to the structure to at least make the fakeness (<I know its not a word) look appealing? I don't know how one would go about starting this and who we would need to sign, but im just throwing it out there...

Cheers!

The city probably didn't expropriate the Salad King building and HMV because there were thriving businesses sitting on that land.

Or at least, HMV was the "thriving business". And Salad King was heritage--to expropriate a heritage building; now, there's a loaded issue. (NB: none of the buildings actually expropriated/demolished for Yonge/Dundas + its Penequity neighbours were either listed or designated.)

I noticed on CityTV's weekend broadcasts from the square they were always calling it "Yonge Dundas Square" even on their graphics.

So is Toronto Life paying a lot of money for nothing? I never understood them branding themselves with this square to begin with and it continues to be more of a puzzlement.

June 30-08
The hording is down in Dundas station. You can see the new air shaft to the street as well the other 2 doors. Still work to be done. New signs up on the lower level as well main level and look a lot better that card stock.

2633142082_1543cacd15_m.jpg

2632319207_b328b27a67_m.jpg

2633141990_ea20632e27_m.jpg

2632319087_131fc8fc89_m.jpg

2632319023_0633664fca_m.jpg

2633141848_505f42e6e7_m.jpg

2633141792_0932dacdb7_m.jpg

2632355553_6977f13850_b.jpg

I still call it simply Dundas Square.

Exactly. This was the real name until the Downtown Yonge BIA started trying to get "Yonge" in the name. Plus there's several ways of saying/writing it: "Yonge-Dundas Square", "Yonge Dundas Square" or even "Yonge and Dundas Square". And then Toronto Life Square name is making it confusing, when "Centre" or "Plaza" would have worked just as well.

It should be simply Dundas Square.

Another example of corporate renaming running up against place names that mean something.

I'm not sure what "corporate renaming" means... but it doesn't actually make a difference. People will call it what they want. Everyone i know calls it dundas square or yonge and dundas square.

If I said Toronto Life square, they would be :confused:

Yonge-Dundas Square (or simply Dundas Square) is the square. Toronto Life Square is just the new building, isn't it?

Remember that the name "Dundas Square" has seniority, thanks to its being grandfathered in from the stub in front of HNR + HRC...

My understanding is that 'Toronto Life Square' is the name of the building, not the public space. Dundas Square is the most organic nomenclature for the place and anything else seems fake and forced. Time and Occam's razor will no doubt take care of this issue.

My understanding is that 'Toronto Life Square' is the name of the building, not the public space. Dundas Square is the most organic nomenclature for the place and anything else seems fake and forced. Time and Occam's razor will no doubt take care of this issue.

The proprietor of Dinner In The Sky Canada who welcomed us to breakfast this morning said "Yonge Dundas Square" and it just rolled off his tongue like he was born to say it.

I don't know why everyone's got their panties in such a bunch over whether the word Yonge is included in the name or not - it's not like it's a stretch to believe the square could be more commonly known as that over the years. Sure, just plain old 'Dundas Square' is shorter, but we don't called the public plaza in front of City Hall 'Phillips Square' now, do we? I say that not only is there no way for us to predict how the square is to be most commonly known over the years, but it will also be nearly impossible to gauge it even. So why such a fuss over it? Can we please get back to complaining about how awful TLS is?

Back