News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I agree it's not much of an article, but it got me thinking about how energy intensive the production of food is these days.

The ultimate failure of the article is in the fact that no one brought up the image of that skyscraper farm that floated around some time ago.

The ultimate failure of the article is that it was published.

Pedestrians don't even travel the same distance as motorists in the first place...

To be fair, the calories in question are those that are expended walking to the store. They perhaps should have subtracted the calories expended driving the car (>0) to get the net calorie opportunity cost of walking.

My point was that the article/study seems to ignore the fact that even if you drive a car, you still need to eat. The bad science assumption here seems to be that if you drive a car and live a couch potato lifestyle, you will consume very little while the bad fitness buff who exercises and walks everywhere will comsume exactly the amount of food needed to produce so many calories. I just suspect that's not the case.

One could always eat the car while on the way to the store. But that probably would be worse as it would negate going to the store.

Damn that entropy.

If there are any newspaper editors out there, I thought I'd let you know that I'm working on an article proposing that smoking is a good excercise for lungs.

To be fair, the calories in question are those that are expended walking to the store. They perhaps should have subtracted the calories expended driving the car (>0) to get the net calorie opportunity cost of walking.

There is no 'perhaps' about it. This 'study' is frightfully stupid and lame. The author Chris Goodall is an idiot, and the editor of The Times should be horsewhipped for publishing it.

Suppose it takes 5 minutes to drive 3 miles, and an hour to walk it. Goodall compares the CO2 added to the atmosphere by the 5-minute drive, to the energy expended by the 1-hour walk if he replaces the calories by eating beef. I'm not going to argue with his particular figures, they don't seem out of line to me.

However the equation should include what the driver is doing for the other 55 minutes, so they are both on the same calorie-expenditure clock. Even if he is sitting on his ass picking his nose, he will expend close to 100 calories.

The main issue though is the eating beef part. Meat requires much more fossil fuel to produce than veggies and grains. This site claims 145!! times as much for beef as potatoes.

http://bicycleuniverse.info/transpo/beef.html

If the walker eats a potato or two, or anything that isn't meat, the equation hugely favours the walker. This is crap science at its worst.

There is no 'perhaps' about it. This 'study' is frightfully stupid and lame. The author Chris Goodall is an idiot, and the editor of The Times should be horsewhipped for publishing it.

LOL - you've got the potential to be among my fave forum members.

Warm welcome!

Back