News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

my family is english, but recognizes that they are no longer in england -- so my sister and i grew up as north americans, imbibing the standard north american pronunciations and never once being told that the customs of a foreign land were "correct."

sometimes i will make a concession on a birthday card or whatever -- like writing "mum" -- but that's more a filial symbol than a reflection of my normal usage.

you're right, and i apologize. for canadians over maybe 50 or 60, these could possibly maybe still be normal usages. for the rest of us, no.

kool maudit said:
my family is english, but recognizes that they are no longer in england -- so my sister and i grew up as north americans, imbibing the standard north american pronunciations and never once being told that the customs of a foreign land were "correct."

I remember an interview with Lloyd Robertson once where he said he was almost fired for saying "sked-jule" on air once.

I am under 30 and have always said "shed-jule" and will continue to. I likely learned this from my parents, though I can't recall right now how they pronounce it. I do know other people my age who say it like this as well. We are not pretentious Toronto elites ironically using anachronistic pronounciations. It's what we were exposed to and learned growing up. This thread certainly proves that a regional standard for pronounciation doesn't even exist, nevermind a continent wide one.

Last edited:
I remember an interview with Lloyd Robertson once where he said he was almost fired for saying "sked-jule" on air once.

I am under 30 and have always said "shed-jule" and will continue to. I likely learned this from my parents, though I can't recall right now how they pronounce it. I do know other people my age who say it like this as well. We are not pretentious Toronto elites ironically using anachronistic pronounciations. It's what we were exposed to and learned growing up. This thread certainly proves that a regional standard for pronounciation doesn't even exist, nevermind a continent wide one.

How ridiculous is it though that poor Lloyd Robertson was almost fired for saying "sked-jule" when it is by far the most common pronunciation in Canada? I would expect that from the CBC, but CTV? With all its American network TV? Really?

Jonny5 I've never heard a North American under 30 say "shed-jule". Are you from Toronto? Maybe Torontonians say "shed-jule" and Mississaugans say "sked-jule"?

schedule
late 14c., sedule, cedule "ticket, label, slip of paper with writing on it," from O.Fr. cedule, from L.L. schedula "strip of paper," dim. of L. schida "one of the strips forming a papyrus sheet," from Gk. skhida "splinter," From stem of skhizein "to cleave, split" (see shed (v.) and cf. schism). The notion is of slips of paper attached to a document as an appendix (a sense maintained in U.S. tax forms). The specific meaning "printed timetable" is first recorded 1863 in railway use (the verb in this sense is from 1862). Modern spelling is 15c., in imitation of L.; the modern British pronunciation ("shed-yul") is from French influence, while the U.S. pronunciation ("sked-yul") is from the practice of Webster, and is based on the Greek original.
Interesting that the word school also comes from a Greek word with the same first two Greek letters and same sound, but there is no alternate pronunciation "shool".

When in doubt, I say use the Greek original.

How ridiculous is it though that poor Lloyd Robertson was almost fired for saying "sked-jule" when it is by far the most common pronunciation in Canada? I would expect that from the CBC, but CTV? With all its American network TV? Really?

Jonny5 I've never heard a North American under 30 say "shed-jule". Are you from Toronto? Maybe Torontonians say "shed-jule" and Mississaugans say "sked-jule"?

I was raised in Hamilton. Thinking about the friends I know who pronounce it like I do, they are all from northern Ontario. Perhaps the GTA adopted a new pronunciation more quickly than the rest of the province.

As for Lloyd, I don't think he was referring to the recent past. He was the anchor for The National on CBC in the 70's.

EDIT: I tried to find a clip of Lloyd on The National on Youtube, but they don't go that far back, however I did find this gem:

[video=youtube;zA-hxKUeywE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA-hxKUeywE[/video]

Last edited:
I was raised in Hamilton. Thinking about the friends I know who pronounce it like I do, they are all from northern Ontario. Perhaps the GTA adopted a new pronunciation more quickly than the rest of the province.
I lived in Northern Ontario for 25 years and people always laughed at me for saying "sh"edule (as opposed to "sk"edule). They thought I said it that way because I grew up in Toronto. And my kids say sk-edule.

Interesting that the word school also comes from a Greek word with the same first two Greek letters and same sound, but there is no alternate pronunciation "shool".

When in doubt, I say use the Greek original.
That's because there is no french word to derive off of; french for school is ecole, vs. skolos/skola in greek/latin.

one thing i notice is that this sort of accent discussion tends to bring out a certain type of linguistic... let's say, preservationist. thus, in these discussions -- whether it's toronto or anywhere else -- you will tend to notice more people claiming to use unusual archaisms and pronunciations than you will encounter in the general population.

What kinda coffee do you like?

That question stumps so many ppl. What I mean, is ppl of different backgrounds and/or areas of the province pronounce it so differently! I was chatting with a group of Caribbean folk the other day and none of them pronounced it the way I do lol.

I don't know if it's about being a preservationist. Language and linguistics has always interested me -- I have a degree in language -- and I'm always fascinated whenever I travel and listen to different accents. Personally, I don't think there are rights and wrongs -- language evolves, and how that evolution happens is, to me, fascinating.

As for Lloyd, I don't think he was referring to the recent past. He was the anchor for The National on CBC in the 70's.

EDIT: I tried to find a clip of Lloyd on The National on Youtube, but they don't go that far back, however I did find this gem:

[video=youtube;zA-hxKUeywE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA-hxKUeywE[/video]

That anchor's pronunciation of "house" and "about" was rather American, although his pronunciation of "borough" was very British. Other than that, he sounded typically Canadian (Torontonian?)

I heard some amazing Toronto accents at Nuit Blanch. I was surrounded in the subway by early 20somethings. It was packed. You could instantly hear the out of towners. But when you'd hear a townie it was quite the experience. Gone is Canadian Raising. No " oat " and " a boat " for this crew. No " soo-ree, " either. They sounded very Upper East Side.

Canadian Raising gone? I find that hard to believe. Maybe they were Americans?

I heard some amazing Toronto accents at Nuit Blanch. I was surrounded in the subway by early 20somethings. It was packed. You could instantly hear the out of towners. But when you'd hear a townie it was quite the experience. Gone is Canadian Raising. No " oat " and " a boat " for this crew. No " soo-ree, " either. They sounded very Upper East Side.
The only Canadians who say oat and a boat are oat farmers who are talking about how to ship their crops.

Back