News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

This comment in a development thread piqued my interest.

Given that trees are still migrating northward after the last ice age (a process likely to accelerate with climate change) is it such a concern that Kentucky Coffee-trees (already native to southern Ontario) are planted in the Toronto area?

What are the ecological pros/cons for anthropogenic acceleration of the northward migration of tree species?

The concerns are a few, in terms of man-induced/accelerated migration.

1) Practicality, shifting a tree northward to address a climate that does not yet exist means the tree has natural limits on it here, in theory. This is important, insofar as it is true; because
the argument in favour of the shift is to be ready for a day when some native to Toronto trees can no longer reproduce here due to a warming climate. But you're planting trees that won't reproduce here, in numbers
because the climate isn't yet that warm.

2) Invasiveness* Right now Kentucky Coffee Tree is not listed as invasive, though I have in fact seen it reproducing/colonizing in natural areas where it was not planted. At this point, I would not describe that as 'invasive'.
However, should the climate tilt slightly in their favour as a species, it may quickly become so.

So? The argument goes, that if that happens it does because Kentucky Coffee Tree was going to be native here one day anyway. Right, maybe; but what if KFT starts reproducing aggressively at the expensive of natives that should have been fine with climate change? What if it begins to displace natives that should have migrated north, but have not yet (naturally), because Forestry departments in Barrie or Muskoka aren't doing the same thing as Toronto and intentionally shifting species north?

3) Climate change models actually don't indicate any broad-based risk to the native species of Toronto because we are at the northern edge of the Carolinian Zone and the southern extreme of the Boreal.
The species that may be adversely affected in Toronto are relatively few (White Spruce, White Birch, and some other Boreal species). These make up a very small portion of Toronto's tree canopy.
The bulk of our native trees, Sugar Maple, Red Oak, White Oak, Beech etc. are all native well to the south of Toronto, and even Ontario. Red Oak grows as far south as North Carolina. Sugar Maple as far south as central Pennsylvania.
It is unlikely these species, on their own, would be displaced en masse by more southerly species.

4) We're jumping the order based on ease of planting and availability in the nursery trade, not on those species that would make it to Toronto first.

Trees I would expect to see shift north to Toronto first would be those currently native to Niagara Region.

In particular, Sycamore (also native to Toronto, barely)

Range map:

Platanus_occidentalis_map.png

from Wikipedia

PawPaw Tree would probably be next on my list:

1024px-Asimina_triloba_range_map_1.png

From Wikipedia

Compare those maps above with Kentucky Coffee Tree which has no native presence in Niagara:

1024px-Gymnocladus_dioicus_range_map_4.png

from Wikipedia

Sycamore can be quite nice has a peeling bark similar to London Plane (they're related); except one grows in Toronto and the other does not! But its harder to source!

Instead we get Kentucky Coffee tree, and worse, Yellow Buckeye and Northern Catalpa (absurd, and moderately invasive)
There are many other, more logical choices:

American Chestnut just barely makes it here:

RangeMap-web-791x1024.jpg

From: https://acf.org/the-american-chestnut/native-range-map/

But in the end, I'd really like to see a focus on what grows here now; though we can logically plant a minimum of Boreal trees in light of the projected future.
Not only is that more practical and for lack of a better term, fairer to existing native plants............
But its also easier for people to follow a straight-line rule (Plant Native); than it is to carve out selected exceptions; which, for the most part, haven't been based on science.

One last note, every time we move plant species around at any scale...........
We generally, without intending to do so, move the pests that go with them; which can cause devastation.
The risk is that we may move a species that can/will eat/prey on our native plants; but which may have no natural predator or limitation here.

I'm not sure I'm on board with Toronto being at the extreme south end of the Boreal, but that may be me being pedantic. Some species, such as White Birch, are simply more adaptable and have a wider range that comes down into the temperate regions. I think there are certain limits on how much some species can migrate with a shifting climate. I doubt, for example, we would see maples establish in the thin and acidic soil of the Boreal, regardless of how warm it gets.

I'm not sure I'm on board with Toronto being at the extreme south end of the Boreal, but that may be me being pedantic. Some species, such as White Birch, are simply more adaptable and have a wider range that comes down into the temperate regions. I think there are certain limits on how much some species can migrate with a shifting climate. I doubt, for example, we would see maples establish in the thin and acidic soil of the Boreal, regardless of how warm it gets.

Here's where the Carolinian Zone ends:

1642633644551.png

From https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...h-of-habitat-gardening-program-630305573.html

In Ontario, the zone immediately to the north is classified as Great-Lakes St. Lawrence / Mixed Forest.

But no one tries to garble that mouthful when discussing a comparatively small forest zone that is really just a transition from Carolinian to Boreal.

Forest-regions-map-NCC-1000px-custom.jpg

From https://www.natureconservancy.ca/as...maps/Forest-regions-map-NCC-1000px-custom.jpg

Of course, we can get much more complex when discussing this, LOL:

eso_figure02.png

From: https://www.ontario.ca/page/ecosystems-ontario-part-1-ecozones-and-ecoregions

Here, you'll see how it is that the area north of Oak Ridges Moraine gets lopped into the Boreal Region by the Bright Red Lines above.

But I can find you another map, also by the province which says the Boreal is north of Thunder Bay only .....

Suffice to say; There's a great deal of complexity and nuance. I was simply trying to describe species migration issues within Ontario in a digestible way.

As for the range of Sugar Maple:

1024px-Acer_saccharum_range_map_1.png

Its already present as far north as Lake Superior.

White Birch on the other hand is very close to its southern limit in Toronto:

1642634029480.png

From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betula_papyrifera#/media/File:Betula_papyrifera_range_map_1.png

Here's where the Carolinian Zone ends:

View attachment 375597

From https://www.newswire.ca/news-releas...h-of-habitat-gardening-program-630305573.html

In Ontario, the zone immediately to the north is classified as Great-Lakes St. Lawrence / Mixed Forest.

But no one tries to garble that mouthful when discussing a comparatively small forest zone that is really just a transition from Carolinian to Boreal.

Forest-regions-map-NCC-1000px-custom.jpg

From https://www.natureconservancy.ca/as...maps/Forest-regions-map-NCC-1000px-custom.jpg

Of course, we can get much more complex when discussing this, LOL:

eso_figure02.png

From: https://www.ontario.ca/page/ecosystems-ontario-part-1-ecozones-and-ecoregions

Here, you'll see how it is that the area north of Oak Ridges Moraine gets lopped into the Boreal Region by the Bright Red Lines above.

But I can find you another map, also by the province which says the Boreal is north of Thunder Bay only .....

Suffice to say; There's a great deal of complexity and nuance. I was simply trying to describe species migration issues within Ontario in a digestible way.

As for the range of Sugar Maple:

1024px-Acer_saccharum_range_map_1.png

Its already present as far north as Lake Superior.

White Birch on the other hand is very close to its southern limit in Toronto:

View attachment 375598
From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betula_papyrifera#/media/File:Betula_papyrifera_range_map_1.png
I'm probably in way over my head here. I realize that ecosystems are not divided by clear, neat lines, but I noticed that the northern limit of the Sugar Maple coincides almost exactly with the northern boundary of the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Forest region. The boreal that I am familiar with, perhaps imperfectly, is characterized by thin, poorly drained acidic soil, interspersed with gravel/sand eskers. Neither of these conditions would seem conducive to many of the more southerly hardwoods, such as maples and oaks, regardless of atmospheric conditions.

I'm probably in way over my head here. I realize that ecosystems are not divided by clear, neat lines, but I noticed that the northern limit of the Sugar Maple coincides almost exactly with the northern boundary of the Great Lakes-St. Lawrence Forest region. The boreal that I am familiar with, perhaps imperfectly, is characterized by thin, poorly drained acidic soil, interspersed with gravel/sand eskers. Neither of these conditions would seem conducive to many of the more southerly hardwoods, such as maples and oaks, regardless of atmospheric conditions.

You're not exactly wrong; but we ought not to get tied up in the nomenclature and technicalities.

The nub of this is; Will Sugar Maples move north over time due to climate change?

The short answer is 'yes' to a point; but you're quite right, by and large, not into the full Boreal region, but rather north within the transition zone.

Studies have already been done on this point:

From the above:

1642688226201.png

Of course, there is this:

1642688254543.png

That last point is key to understanding both the dangers of man-accelerated climate change; and of arbitrarily moving species north as if temperature is the only factor in where they are viable; and without considering secondary impacts on other species.

^^ I used to live in Muskoka in the '70s and still go up there quite a bit. Even back then I felt the area largely had its head up its own butt back then and, with the change of the demographics, it's worse now.

Three point caught my eye:

- how does one remediate blasted rock?
- a pool at a waterfront property seems a tad redundant
- a parking lot on an island?

EDIT: When I made this post, I was responding to a post about unpermitted and damaging construction in Muskoka. It seems now that post has been deleted or I was dreaming the whole thing. I don't know what happened. Apologies to all - without that post (assuming it existed and wasn't a COVID-induced dream), mine makes absolutely no sense.

Last edited:
For those of you here who own your own home, provided you live in a low-canopy area of the City (fewer mature trees); the City is looking to gift you a free tree.

Note that this is separate from the normal front-yard tree program; you would plant this one yourself, in your front or back yard as suits you.

Just follow this link:

Reactions: vic

The vast majority of Weeping Willow in Toronto was planted between 1965-1985.

It was a staple choice by Metro Parks when it first 'constructed' the various valley parks.

They are all reaching an age where they are increasingly prone to failure.

The life expectancy of the tree is actually only 30 years in North America and many of these are now 40-50 years of age.

I expect this will be a frequent happening in the years ahead.

The vast majority of Weeping Willow in Toronto was planted between 1965-1985.

It was a staple choice by Metro Parks when it first 'constructed' the various valley parks.

They are all reaching an age where they are increasingly prone to failure.

The life expectancy of the tree is actually only 30 years in North America and many of these are now 40-50 years of age.

I expect this will be a frequent happening in the years ahead.

There's a Weeping Willow in the backyard of a neighbour that is two doors over from my parents' house. It's along the northside of Davenport Road, which most homes were built along the base of a hill so older/larger trees are very common to find.

It's probably still another month or two away from the leaves being fully grown back, but I'll try to take some photos one day when I'm over there.

There's a Weeping Willow in the backyard of a neighbour that is two doors over from my parents' house. It's along the northside of Davenport Road, which most homes were built along the base of a hill so older/larger trees are very common to find.

It's probably still another month or two away from the leaves being fully grown back, but I'll try to take some photos one day when I'm over there.

If the tree is a potential threat to your parents home, or if you/they know the neighbours, you may wish to suggest they have it looked at by an Arborist.

The cost of tearing one down is substantial, but generally preferably to an unexpected crash in the middle of the night.

If there's no evidence of cracking/hollowing or die-back, its probably fine.......but worth some caution.

*Cross-post from the Queen's Quay revitalization thread to update the situation in regards to Cottony Maple Scale which attacked the trees last year.*

On my walk yesterday, I was down on the promenade and walked the portion from Parliament to Sherbourne.

I have good news and bad news............

Lets start w/the former.........

The younger Silver Maples further east show little sign of infection and are off to a robust start to the season with lots of buds bursting.

DSC07439.JPG

Now close-up

DSC07440.JPG

Now the bad news........the more mature trees by Sherbourne Common are infected again; it doesn't yet look as bad as last year, but its very early in the season, and this looks like it may be rough on these trees which are also less far along w/their budding.

DSC07447.JPG

If I can finish on a somewhat positive note, the vast majority of trees infected last year did survive......

But they won't appreciate getting roughed up two years in a row.

Back