News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Wildfire smoke has reached the GTA.

It's been kinda hazy up here (north Simcoe) for a couple of days - sort of a browny-orange. Sunrise this morning was just a dull red ball rising in the haze.

It's been kinda hazy up here (north Simcoe) for a couple of days - sort of a browny-orange. Sunrise this morning was just a dull red ball rising in the haze.

It's brutal, I was outside most of the day. I'm now feeling it in my nose and throat.

I was just out with the dog and all I can say is thank goodness for a mask mandate!

From link.

All clouds need a certain amount of smoke and dust in order for water droplets to condense. To understand the effects of heavy smoke over the Amazon, two groups compared satellite pictures of Amazon fires with measurements of smoke, rain, and water droplets in clouds. Meinrat Andreae of the Max Planck Institute for Chemistry in Mainz, Germany, and colleagues report that a surfeit of smoke particles can delay rainfall, because small droplets form instead of fewer, larger ones. These small droplets don't fall as rain but rise higher up in the atmosphere, releasing energy as they cool. When the rain finally does fall, that extra energy can create especially violent thunderstorms. The thunderstorms in turn can suck even more smoke and heat energy into the upper atmosphere, creating a cycle of violent storms.

Alright. Who's doing a live performance of "Shazam?

giphy.gif
From link.

Putting this here as miscellaneous as it's not Toronto/Ontario related.

A friend shared this of the Northern Lights seen in Vancouved last week. The Aurora must have been incredibly strong as usually you need darkness to see them. I only saw them before in Iceland and it was like a mission to find the perfect spot and also needed a little luck.

IMG-20211013-WA0001.jpg

I remember a former colleague of mine who works up in Timmins remotely. She would say nonchalantly: "yeah, we see them all the time up here...". 😄

When did the cities in Ontario start plowing their streets for the automobile? Used to be that the streetcar companies had their own streetcar plows to clear their tracks. Apparently there were disputes with businesses along streetcar routes from the snow windrows being plowed to the side. Of course, the streetcar plows were an expense for the streetcar companies, which gave the automobiles access when followed behind the plows.

Nowadays, the bus companies don't pay for a snowplowing fee that the city does for them.

Back