News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Although there's no science to it, when it came to backyard vegetable gardening, my mother always stood by the general adage of waiting until after Victoria Day to begin doing so.

Based on some 14-day trend weather forecasts, we hover around 5-12 degrees during the day from now until next Wednesday. Night time lows may dip below zero. We only start to hit the mid-teen temperatures consistently again next Thursday and onwards.

Don't know whose planting veggies this early.....................your mother was wise!

Also not worried about Tulips etc that are typically up during frost season or most spring ephemerals for the same reason.

But some trees/native plants may been stimulated to open their buds a bit early and could suffer some damage from sustained frost or freezing of the ground.

Don't know whose planting veggies this early.....................your mother was wise!

Also not worried about Tulips etc that are typically up during frost season or most spring ephemerals for the same reason.

But some trees/native plants may been stimulated to open their buds a bit early and could suffer some damage from sustained frost or freezing of the ground.

I recall that happened a few years ago with the apple and soft fruit crops over in the Meaford/Beaver Valley area a few years ago.

We've always gone with the 'Victoria Day' guideline. Our kid is up north and they put very little in the ground until June 1st, although they start most of it inside. Their house looks like a grow op for a couple of months per year.

Edit: I just came in from walking the dogs and was clearly underdressed!

Polar vortex may bring record-breaking cold weather to Toronto

May 4 2020, 6:24 am

“The polar vortex has remained in exceptional form over the past few months, and as you’re reading this, the core of the polar vortex (tropopause) is streaking across Nunavut, roughly 4,000 kilometres away,” stated The Weather Network.

Meteorologist Tyler Hamilton said there is potential for record-breaking cold this week.

The week’s forecast shows snow and rain on Friday, with a high of 5°C, but may feel more like 0°C.

The record cold May high for Toronto is 4.4°C, and was set in 1976.

There's a very low chance that there would be snow in Toronto in May this year.

The missus just had a birthday and clearly recalls snow in Toronto on a few number-which-shall-not be-mentioned of her birthdays.

I hate the weather lately.

Warmest winter in my lifetime (I'm 35 and love winter) followed by the coldest spring in some time.

If I don't get at least one festival this year, I'm quitting work.....you guys can pay your own taxes.

Gotta say the weather here has been pretty solid for the past couple of weeks. 15-20 degrees is my kind of weather, nice enough to go outside for a walk in a t-shirt without breaking a sweat. We are heading towards a hotter period coming up though.

Meanwhile, the Calgary area got pummeled by a hail storm and flooding:

I agree. Sitting outside as we speak after some yard work. Craft beer, mid-20s, no humidity, slight breeze, no bugs. As I get older I dislike the humidtiy more and more so am enjoying the conditions while it's here. My favourite time is late summer/early fall, except for what it represents - winter is coming.

A bit too hot and humid for my liking, we're about to enter a stretch where it'll feel like 30+ degrees for around one week straight:

Utterly depressing.

I hate humidity especially.

I also relish a cool night (not freezing).

Low of 11, high of 21, low humidity..........perfect.

If I want to swim outdoors.........25 is fine......no humidity to speak of!

Utterly depressing.

I hate humidity especially.

I also relish a cool night (not freezing).

Low of 11, high of 21, low humidity..........perfect.

If I want to swim outdoors.........25 is fine......no humidity to speak of!

I feel exactly the same way - my hatred for humidity knows no bounds. In fact, I did a bit of research to see which places in the world have the "ideal" climate (very much like how you described). So far, my top pick is Malaga, Spain.

I'm a bit of an anomaly, but I wouldn't mind living in a place like Iceland with their climate. Winter averages in the positive low single digits celsius, but still typically above zero. While summer averages in the mid-teens, sometimes borderlining at 20 degrees. I visited in the autumn a couple years ago and fell in love with the country overall.

Back