8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

F

FutureMayor

Top 12 Public Squares in the U.S. and Canada

SURPRISE! Toronto's very own Dundas Square and Nathan Philips Square didn't make the cut!

1. Jackson Square, New Orleans, LA

2. Rockefeller Plaza, New York, NY

3. Pioneer Courthouse Square, Portland, OR

4. Campus Martius, Detroit, MI

5. Union Square Park and Greenmarket, New York, NY

6. Bryant Park, New York, NY

7. Rittenhouse Square, Philadelphia, PA

8. Portsmouth Square, San Francisco, CA

9. Washington Square, San Francisco, CA

10. Square St. Louis, Montreal, Quebec

11. Squares of Savannah, GA

12. Washington Square Park, New York, NY

links:
www.pps.org/info/newsletter/december2005/us_canada_squares

The World's Best Squares

1. Rynek Glowny, Krakow, Poland

2. Plaza Hidalgo, Mexico City, Mexico

3. Piazza Navona, Rome, Italy

4. Piazza del Campo, Sienna, Italy

5. Piccadilly Circus, Trafalgar Square, Covent Gardens, and Leicester Square, London, United Kingdom

6. Hotel de Ville (City Hall), Paris, France

7. Old Town Square, Prague, Czech Republic

8. Plaza de la Constitucion (Zocalo), Oaxaca City, Mexico

9. Plaza Santa Ana, Madrid, Spain

10. Plaza de Armas, Cuzco, Peru

11. Trg Bana Jelacica, Zagreb, Croatia

12. Östermalmstorg, Stockholm, Sweden

13. Plaza de Entrevero, Montevideo, Uruguay

14. Federation Square, Melbourne, Australia

15. Imam Square, Isfahan, Iran

16. Campo Santa Margherita, Venice, Italy

Links:

www.pps.org/info/newsletter/december2005/international_squares

The 16 Squares Most Dramatically in Need of Improvement

SURPRISE! Mississauga City Centre made the list!

1. City Hall Plaza, Boston, MA

2. Place de la Concorde, Paris, France

3. Occidental Square, Seattle, WA

4. UN Plaza, San Francisco, CA

5. Tate Modern Public Spaces, London

6. Pershing Square, Los Angeles, CA

7. Public Square, Cleveland, OH

8. Schouwburgplein, Rotterdam, Netherlands

9. Market Square, Houston, TX

10. Education Plaza, Washington, DC

11. Logan Circle, Philadelphia, PA

12. Museu d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona

13. DuPont Circle, Washington, DC

14. City Centre, Mississauga, Ontario

Mississauga is Canada's 6th largest city but is known mainly as the home of Toronto's airport. It lacks a reputation to match its size.

A big reason is, as Gertrude Stein once put it, "there is no there there" in the central district, which is dominated by a gigantic shopping center.

This could be easily changed by focusing on improving the underperforming public spaces at the public buildings downtown and tying them into the mall with a newly created Main Street between them. Doing this, Mississauga could take a giant leap to becoming a real and dynamic city.

With all the residential development happening near downtown and a commitment to a series of new parks to support these residents, Mississauga can be a model for the modern city.

15. Exchange Square, Manchester, UK

16. Carré d'Art, Nimes, France

Links:

www.pps.org/info/newsletter/december2005/underperforming_us

Louroz

I still haven't seen all of Fed Square, NGVa has some amazing spaces inside and you need at least half a day to make your way around the catacombs there. ACMI's installations were pretty schmick originally, that's the only part of the whole development that's copped a bit of flack recently, namely that you think the whole building's SBS (our 2nd public broadcaster) when it fact it's split with the ACMI, people just dont know where it is! I won't be able to explore it much more because as of tomorrow, I'm in the UK and eventually Canuckistan later this year (I'M FINALLY COMING!).

Queensbridge Square is another up and comer bound to be showcased in March, not a big show pony like Fed, but more your classic town square like you'd find in Eastern Europe, a shitload of pedo traffic moves (and has moved since Crown existed) through the area as is and is bound to be a success because of that - people have a reason to sit/promenade/latte it up :)lol ) in that area now. Queensbridge looks (to me at least) a bit like Dundas Square sans fountains.

And there's also Argyle Square in Carlton which is being paid for by Milan afaik, or at least a joint effort, I know it's being designed by a Milanese architect (Milan became our sister city two years ago, I read that it's now Torry's and you're getting something similar?), Carlton's our 'tourist' little Italy* a bit out of the way in terms of pedo traffic (as it's an inner burb), but Lygon's very vibrant and this will probably enhance it even more.

* tourist Little Italy - still a large Italian population in Carlton but it's main a tourist area, just like we tell the tourists the best shopping is on Chapel, but in actual fact it's any number of the lanes of 'little' streets in the CBD, but there are something like 300,000 people who have an Italian background in Melbourne, they don't all live in Carlton :lol

Anyhow all in all, 10 years ago, Melbourne had sweet F.A. public spaces - well there was City Square, but that was a disaster and still is - and Fed Square's resulted in other's poping up like no tomorrow. When you nail one, the rest is easy peasy japanesey.

Great... Toronto doesn't show up on the list. Couldn't we have at least been good at dramatically needing improvement :)

SURPRISE! Toronto's very own Dundas Square and Nathan Philips Square didn't make the cut!

How is that a surprise? NPS is due for a makeover and Dundas Square ain't even finished yet. Nice to see Montreal's charming St. Louis Square on the list.

PlateauStLouis1.jpg

Can Mississauga City Centre be really called a "square"? I can see how it can be defined as a district, but is it really the same as, say, Boston City Hall Plaza?

Detroit's Campus Martius is fourth best in NA. Congrats to Motown!

I'm glad to see that a number of Latin American squares made it to the top ten world squares. The Spanish, Portuguese and the Italians are some of the best square builders in the world.

Wow, I didn't know Mississauga's City Centre was so high profile! Or ugly enough to warrant interest. For shame...

And only one in Canada being in the top 12? I say Place des Vosges is a lovely square in Paris.

"Can Mississauga City Centre be really called a "square"? "

Square One?

I'm glad that Mississauga is working with PPS. They're one of the few organaizations that actually get results. Ever since they brought back 'Campus Martius' to life in Mo-Town they've shown that they know what the hell they're doing. If only other major Canadian cities could use them.

"Can Mississauga City Centre be really called a "square"?"
The big square in front of City Hall and the one next to the Library that is also a square is the "square". They have the small theatre, the musk-ox art display, the fountain, the reflecting pool/skating rink and the chill-tables. It's where most of the Canada Day events take place.

I guess you must be thinking of 'City Centre', which is technically the district name.

I guess you must be thinking of 'City Centre', which is technically the district name.

The quote that FM posted on Mississauga City Centre is clearly talking about the whole district, not just the square in front of City Hall.

The quote that FM posted on Mississauga City Centre is clearly talking about the whole district, not just the square in front of City Hall.

That's what I thought, but I've read most of the articles on PPS and most refer to the entire district around a square. The orgnaization is more about revitalizing neighbourhoods through public space.

It's like how they have Queen's Quay on the site. They put it in the Hall of Shame. Even though it hosts festivals and events, it doesn't create a neighbourhood sense due to the wall of condos and private investment that plauges the area.

Old Town Square, Prague, Czech Republic

I saw one quiet, intimate, yet truly grand square called Hradcany just outside the gates of Castle Praha that haunts me to this day. There was a very eclectic group of stand-alone mansions ringing the square and they were all being refurbished when I was there in the mid-nineties. I couldn't even name the styles but they were all distinct.

I suppose the square is very upscale today.

Has anyone seen it or have photos - I was literally breathless!

Hey now hey now, Piccadilly Circus is a circus not a square ;)

I don't even like Dundas Square, its north side looks just like the the underbelly of the Gardiner Expressway!

That's an oversimplistic view of the nature of the area. If only successful waterfront public space is as simple as not creating "walls of condos". It's about how the buildings knit together and their uses, not their height or nature of ownership per se. Besides, a lot of successful public spaces tended to be highly enclosed with clear sightlines at specific points - and not an open expanse.

From PPS:
"Though only a small patch of the entire Toronto waterfront, this chain of public spaces creates a ‘sense of place’ and cohesion. The area is a fantastic place for people to gather and enjoy the lakefront.

But unfortunately, while many of these public spaces are developed, they are being overshadowed by initiatives led by private investment that are turning waterfront regeneration into profit-making schemes.

Across the street from the community centre and Wetlands Park that are described below, there is a billboard erected over a vacant lot that touts the new condo development as ‘California style living.’ This is in sharp contrast to the supposed pride in local identity.

Private development has resulted in a barrier of condo high-rises, which blocks the view of the water from the rest of Toronto and creates a psychological barrier for the general public. While the stores and amenities that are being installed on the first floor of these developments increases mixed-use of the area, chain stores and franchise establishments detract from any sort of local character.

The CNE and Ontario Place sites to the west are situated on an expanse of ground that holds a number of exhibition and large-scale event pavilions, including the Governors House, Medieval Times, and an outdoor amphitheatre. This area is mainly accessible by, and designed for, the car. Venues are housed in unsightly concrete blocks and the grounds are predominantly large tracts of parking lot."

They also point to a lot of Toronto's great spaces. They seem to love Kensington Market, The TO Underground, St. Lawrence Village, the Children's Garden @ High Park, and many other great TO neighbourhoods and places.

They don't seem to have a profile on NPS or Dundas Square yet, or they categorized it as something odd.

Btw, Jane Jacobs is involved with PPS. Has her profile on. Very uplifting.

B

jeicow:

First of all, did you read the article is submitted by a local member of the PPS forum, and not articled by PPS per se? Just to deconstruct the arguments presented a little:

Across the street from the community centre and Wetlands Park that are described below, there is a billboard erected over a vacant lot that touts the new condo development as ‘California style living.’ This is in sharp contrast to the supposed pride in local identity.

What does the presence of an advertisment and its' nature has anything to do with the nature of the public space, vis-a-vis the reality that it is still a work in progress? We weren't told anything about design of the new condo, and how it will or will not address the area - but was fed instead of some irrevelant talk about "pride in local identity".

Private development has resulted in a barrier of condo high-rises, which blocks the view of the water from the rest of Toronto and creates a psychological barrier for the general public. While the stores and amenities that are being installed on the first floor of these developments increases mixed-use of the area, chain stores and franchise establishments detract from any sort of local character.

Even without the condos, the water is NEVER visible from the rest of Toronto in most areas save along arterial roads/view corridors, considering the presence of the rail berm and other infrastructure. Sounds like the author is toe-ing some rather common (and factually suspect) lines of arguments.

The nature of the retail argument is also besides the point, especially considering the priority should be functional retail and not empty storefronts in the first place.

This area is mainly accessible by, and designed for, the car. Venues are housed in unsightly concrete blocks and the grounds are predominantly large tracts of parking lot.

This area isn't the Queen's Quay, the last time I've checked.

So anyways, if QQ is in the Hall of Shame, I can think of a zillion more examples that would make it pale in comparison and far more deserving of a dunce cap than an area that, for better or worse, carries a good amount of activity (albeit ungracefully in many cases).

re: NPS/Dundas Square

I wouldn't be surprised if neither rates high - plenty of bad things can be said about the surrounding urban context for the first (and Modernistic squares are probably not something treated kindly by PPS anyways); Dundas Square might fare better, though one can raise similiar criticisms on the context re: commercial homogenity.

AoD

jeicow:

It's like how they have Queen's Quay on the site. They put it in the Hall of Shame. Even though it hosts festivals and events, it doesn't create a neighbourhood sense due to the wall of condos and private investment that plauges the area.

That's an oversimplistic view of the nature of the area. If only successful waterfront public space is as simple as not creating "walls of condos". It's about how the buildings knit together and their uses, not their height or nature of ownership per se. Besides, a lot of successful public spaces tended to be highly enclosed with clear sightlines at specific points - and not an open expanse.

AoD

Back