8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

asiancolossus

Member Bio
Reaction score
The general rule is that condos that are higher up are more expensive, better views, but why is it that southern exposures tend to be more expensive as well? Is it because there are views of the CN tower and the lake? Seems that only works if you are high up anyways. I also heard that southern exposure gets you more sunlight but I'm not really sure why, could someone explain that to me? Thanks.

Canada is a cold climate and people spend alot of time indoors as such. South gets more natural sunlight which people seek out in our winter.
Hence South and West views are generally more desirable than North or East.
Of course, there can be mitigating factors. Eg. view may be better in another direction.
But all other things being equal, SW is generally the most expensive followed by SE; then NW or NE.

In Toronto, water of course is desirable and since the lake is to the South, that explains the premium. Of course, if the lake for argument sake was facing North, I would expect that the North would be more expensive as people wanting water will pay a premium to look at it, likely more than they would pay to look South if the lake was not in view.

And the South facing condos gets more Sunlight because we're not on the equator. At the equator, the Sun would be, on average, neither South nor North (directly overhead at mid-day). But since Toronto's roughly in between the equator and North Pole, the rays of Sunlight aren't hitting the surface at 90 degrees at midday but about 45 degrees (a bit higher in spring/summer, a bit lower in winter/fall).

This image I found should help.
tg_c3AffectsLat_e.gif

Thanks interested and memph that makes total sense and the map of the earth really helps :) I just bought a townhome facing south....can't see much but hopefully I'll get more light!

And the South facing condos gets more Sunlight because we're not on the equator. At the equator, the Sun would be, on average, neither South nor North (directly overhead at mid-day). But since Toronto's roughly in between the equator and North Pole, the rays of Sunlight aren't hitting the surface at 90 degrees at midday but about 45 degrees (a bit higher in spring/summer, a bit lower in winter/fall).

This image I found should help.
tg_c3AffectsLat_e.gif

some additional info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropic_of_cancer

if you're in toronto, it's noon & the sun is to your north, you might be having a dream. :)

I lived once in a north facing apartment for one year and had to move. Little would grow on the balcony, my indoor plants died and the lack of direct sunshine (except sunrise and sunset in the summer) seriously affected my mood. Never again.

Back