News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

ban ... no, but they could change the route and use Queen's Park circle.

i think that would be an ideal route being surrounded by trees, blocking off Wellesley at Bay and Devonshire, QP at Bloor and College shouldn't affect the city too much.

Goodlife marathon does use QP circle (approaches up University, passes around east side, loops across the top and finishes on west side down by Hoskins). It's just that the marathon distance is 42.195km (26.2 miles) and a complete loop of QP (from just north of College to just south of the ROM) is not quite 1.5km. Try managing 5000+ people running 14 (half marathon) or 28 (full marathon) laps in times between 1:05 and 6:00.

One wouldn't try and run the Santa Claus parade exclusively around Kings College Circle on the U of T campus (about 500m in circumference), I'd hope.

I do somewhat agree that the Goodlife route is a little excessive, cleaving the city in half along Yonge, but the principle that even on a Sunday morning no large scale events are allowed to disrupt more than a dozen cars or TTC riders seems just a bit extreme in a major urban environment.

These marathons are just another example of the never-ending War on Cars. Get rid of these and all other road-closing events like parades and I'm sure there will be less traffic congestion downtown.

NY, Boston, and most major cities (I think) only have one marathon. Why should Toronto have 2?

Relevant question, especially since both happen to be within a few weeks of each other.

What is now Goodlife marathon has existed in one form or another for a couple of decades (previously Wang marathon, Shoppers Drug Mart marathon) and used to have a May date. Mid-90s when Shoppers pulled their sponsorship, it closed up shop but re-appeared as Canadian International Marathon, a fall date and less interest in elite level competition.

Waterfront marathon used to be just a half-marathon to wrap up the Coors Light Runner's Choice race series (then Great Canadian Bagel, and now Canada Running Series).

The half was truly a top level event with many Olympic medalists competing over the years. Race director Alan Brookes always has bigger dreams and decided to go head-to-head with CIM and added a marathon to his event. (Now both include a 5km, half and full marathons.)

Brookes has pushed more and more each year to make his event bigger, better and more elite. With more money has come faster runners and this year saw the fastest marathon ever run on Canadian soil.

Theoretically one would think there isn't room on the Toronto race calendar for two marathons, but so far each has managed to draw thousands of participants, indicating that the demand is there. (It's worth noting though that a large percentage take part in the 5km or half-marathon events even though the full is the one with the attention and publicity.)

Presumably if one or the other falters and starts taking a financial or numbers hit, it will succumb or move to a spring date (in fact mayor Miller has recently suggested this with Brookes being adamant he wasn't moving his date).

At the moment the momentum is with Waterfront but Goodlife still has a huge number of participants.

As for traffic impacts, the sooner people realize that without people driving or travelling from A to B, the sooner traffic and transit will be less congested.

Can you guys imagine how much better traffic would move if we got rid of sidewalks and added more lanes.

We could also expand both Jarvis and University to 20 lanes in each direction!
And how about expanding the 401, Gardiner and DVP to 100,000 lanes each!
Traffic would fly around this town then!

I know this is sarcastic, but I often feel this would be the only thing to satisfy the unrealistic demands of the irrational car nuts.

I say we tell all these people to move to Detroit, lots of highway criss-crossing all of the neighbourhoods there.

I support both the marathons and the Ride For Heart. They are always on Sundays and cleaned up by mid to late afternoon. It is easy to get around on those days if you spend a little time planning. The route last weekend went along Bayview so all the bridges over Bayview were still open and Bloor, the DVP, and the Gardiner were still open. All subways were still running.

Indeed, the replies have certainly been predictable.

One could say the same about the usual litany of complaints.

"Oh the horror! Toronto has the nerve to have large scale community events that dares to impact my constitutionally guaranteed right to traverse the city without impediment, even on low demand Sunday mornings! Why doesn't everyone get off the road and out of my way?"

I really do think all the marathons and events that close highways and main streets should have their routes changed, but I wouldn't end marathons.

Aren't there signs posted for a couple of weeks beforehand that road closures will be in effect for these major events?

As for community events they are one of the best things that makes living here so great in the warmer months. Everything from Buskerfest, Taste of the Danforth, Caribana to the smaller (yet growing) events in Little Italy, Cabbagetown, Little India and on and on. Roads are closed for these events yet the city continues to move. Same for these dreaded marathons, it's a few hours of inconvenience. Big deal.

There are many other ways to get to Kipling/Lakeshore, via TTC subway from Cabbagetown (walk to Bloor East is 10 minutes tops) to Kipling is 30 minutes or less; the bus to Lakeshore takes 10 minutes. Much faster than your trip I'd imagine, and more interesting!

Of course, by car you could've taken Wellesley/Harbord/Ossinton/Dupont-Annette/Dundas West or Bloor and on to K-Lakeshore in under an hour easily.

How many people don't read the news or know how to use google, again? :p

The 105th Santa Claus Parade is scheduled for Sunday, November 15, 2009, starting at 12:30 P.M..

Wonder how many will not remember and wonder why they can't around downtown at that date?

parade_map.jpg

Hey, I just noticed something different with the map. Instead of using Queen Street, they are using Dundas Street to get from University to Yonge. Interesting, how many would have used Dundas to bypass the parade on Queen?

Last edited:

Back