News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

TOBuilt was irreplaceable. That data helped tens of thousands of Torontonians get to know their city better, as well as people outside of Toronto. That data was compiled with academic precision. Nevermind Rob Ford; a world without TOBuilt is the dark age ahead.

My own flirtation with the abyss:

So devastated was I on election night that I considered deactivating my Urban Toronto account, the better to punish the city I once loved by denying it my musings...

But then it struck me... if I am silenced, Rob Ford will have won!

Again.

Can anyone contact archivist to try to convince him to put the site back up?

archivist, don't despair. i think alot of people who voted for ford did so because they don't want the vehicle registration fee, garbage fee and land transfer tax (you know, things that can be afforded or are irrelevant to one's life), and not for his views on homosexuality, immigration, race/ethnicities, etc. i found that most of the people who i know that voted for ford knew nothing about his personal views.

look at it another way, 287,393 toronto citizens voted for a gay married man with an adopted child. that would have never happened years ago. and that's no reason to despair. hell, i wonder if an openly atheist mayoral candidate could even get 287,393 votes.

Last edited:
I chatted to Archivist at Death In Venice ( we sat with interchange at the talk ) and he seemed perfectly calm and composed. Not at all in "despair".

Reading your comments here, and those over at BlogTO, and in response to a few other various appeals, I've realized that bringing down TOBuilt was a mistake and I've restored it now. Some of the comments here were less than kind, but if I'm honest about it I'd have a hard time defending my actions. In the end, though it's my own site and I do the vast majority of the contribution towards it, its just not right to create what appears to be a somewhat useful resource and then take it offline arbitrarily. So it's back. And I apologise.

welcome back!

Reading your comments here, and those over at BlogTO, and in response to a few other various appeals, I've realized that bringing down TOBuilt was a mistake and I've restored it now. Some of the comments here were less than kind, but if I'm honest about it I'd have a hard time defending my actions. In the end, though it's my own site and I do the vast majority of the contribution towards it, its just not right to create what appears to be a somewhat useful resource and then take it offline arbitrarily. So it's back. And I apologise.

No need to apologize! It's your work. And I am delighted that it is back!

Thank you, Archivist, for restoring it. It is an excellent resource. Your initiative with TOBuilt has definitely inspired pride in the city. I hope you keep developing it, or work with someone to keep expanding it and improving the functionality.

Thank you, Archivist, for restoring it. It is an excellent resource. Your initiative with TOBuilt has definitely inspired pride in the city. I hope you keep developing it, or work with someone to keep expanding it and improving the functionality.

Hear hear. Good to see it's back!

Your contribution both here and at TOBuilt is greatly appreciated Archivist. Glad to see you back in the fold.

Many of us felt very defeated, angry and frankly, ashamed by Wally's win for the first few days - I for one can completely relate to how you were probably feeling. All said, we're feeling better now and ready to fight. It's great to see your terrific site back up again. Thank you!

Back