News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

Enviro:

Trust me, I am tempted to just wipe a good chunk of the polls section out.

AoD

could we wipe out all opera house threads from the projects and construction forum as well? they invariably get hijacked and turned into chat threads

One thread got really off topic and it was written: "Try to stick to the topic. Otherwise we'll have to close the thread. Start another in the general discussions if you like." A suggestion - just delete the offending posts and leave the thread open for the rest of us. No need for a few to ruin a thread for the majority.

That TIFF thread was a disappointment. I opened it excited that one of the slowest projects in the city would finally get under way only to find the craziness that the thread had turned into. While I don't agree with VofE's outburst the thread did have many off topic posts before his comment. There are probably more of us on this forum that voted non-Conservative rather than Conservative so it may be hard for us to not jump on the Conservative bashing bandwagon when it is going by (its fun!!), however politics should be constrained to the "Politics" forum and not allowed into the "Projects and Construction" forum in the first place. Mods need to ensure they don't loose their cool too. I can understand that a Mod might feel insulted by a forum member but Mods need to be held to a higher standard... a Moderator should delete the offensive material and ban the member, not loose their cool with a posting. Hopefully the next time a thread turns political of offensive it can be handled better. The TIFF project is worth a thread.

Enviro:

Like I have said, I don't necessarily disagree with his issue of the thread going off topic, but the very presence of this thread shows there are more civil ways of dealing with the issue than going on a tirade about "limp-wristedness" and how he is being indignitly forced to read about "alternative lifestyles".

As to me losing my cool - it was in response to a particularly offensive (from my POV) post on the said members part, which I have deleted. It questioned my ability to mod based on my rather innocolous comment on the matter, and setting up critiera for my suitability as a mod.

Also at issue is that the thread is being inheritly intwined with politics, given the funding issue that is front and centre in the newspiece. It wouldn't have made much sense to have put it into the politics section.

AoD

Enviro:

And as a comparison, here is the SSC version of the thread on TIFF:

www.skyscrapercity.com/sh...p?t=354489

You'll see by the very nature of the topic in question, it will invariably become political. The functioning of our version of the thread is no more off topic until V of E dropped in his rather inopportune comment.

AoD

The original post was probably in the right thread but the one line posts regarding whether or not the conservatives will get a vote and what it will take to get a vote were off topic. I hope that every project that gets funding doesn't warrant another debate about whether or not a party is worth of votes.

I understand that his comment regarding you as a mod was condescending but the point of a moderator is to calm things down and not turn up the heat. It is unfortunate that there are so many people out there which feel it is necessary to comment on the lives of others and feel that society needs government involvement in determining and enforcing morality beyond simply preventing actions that cause measurable harm but unfortunately there is a lot of people that feel that way. I will never understand how people think preventing gay marriage improves anything, and why these marriage defenders have so much to say about gay marriage but little to say about rules that could apply to heterosexual males to protect the meaning of marriage such as prevention of re-marrying, requirements of male chastity, etc. but I just have to accept that some (actually most) people believe in some things that have no proof and have no purpose.

And as a comparison, here is the SSC version of the thread on TIFF

I'm on this forum because I didn't like what SSC threads become. Hopefully this forum can continue to do better than SSC.

^ Amen, Enviro.

Intolerant personal messages should be deleted, and if repeated, the person involved should be banned.

Regarding political comments, I think everyone should try to tone these down. Yes politics is intertwined with some of the other topics on this board, and there is a place for respectful political discussion. But do so many threads have to turn into oh-so-subtle or (more usually) not-so-subtle bashing of a political party? This doesn't really advance the discussion. More likely it's just a way of picking a fight, which I take to be schoolyard behaviour.

Its ironic because I started this thread and I think I was the first one to quip that I would vote Conservative if they kept pumping funds into the city. At the time, and in the context, I don't think my small comment was 'off topic' as the choice to fund is very much a political decision (unfortunately). Its unfortunate that the rest of thread discussed politics though, and discussed it in a disrespectul manner (and yes, just delete the offending posts - simpliest solution).

Good points here. Will be taken into account as the forum moves forward.

Back