News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

University, Avenue Road, Spadina, York, John, Bay, Kings College Circle, Frederick, Wellesley, Adelaide, Front (looking west to Church)......

I had forgotten about those. Some of those other ones aren't much to write home about. York Street in particular strikes me as one that could be much better.

I had forgotten about those. Some of those other ones aren't much to write home about. York Street in particular strikes me as one that could be much better.

I'm torn on York Street. The vista would be great with the east portico of Osgoode Hall visible, but that would sacrifice a lot of mature trees on the ground, which would make the grounds themselves look a lot worse, IMO.

Speaking of vistas (and lost buildings), an appropriate place to cite the Princes' Gates and the Shell Oil Tower at the CNE:

shelloiltower.jpg

shelloil.jpg

Attachments

• shelloil.jpg
    shelloil.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 728
  • shelloiltower.jpg
    shelloiltower.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 1,006
I'm torn on York Street. The vista would be great with the east portico of Osgoode Hall visible, but that would sacrifice a lot of mature trees on the ground, which would make the grounds themselves look a lot worse, IMO.

It's more visible now with the leaves off the trees. Think of it as a seaonsal treat - like shellfish, asparagus and strawberries.

University, Avenue Road, Spadina, York, John, Bay, Kings College Circle, Frederick, Wellesley, Adelaide, Front (looking west to Church)......

Toronto has a lot of vistas. Frederick Street interestingly had the Campbell House as its vista until it was moved to Queen and University. George Brown College had the great idea of building a new building aligned with Frederick Street. One seldom appreciated vista is that of the Fisher Rare Book Library (part of the Robarts complex) on Hoskin Ave. The head of the "peacock" is aligned perfectly with the centre of the street, though the building is seen in profile view from that perspective.

Last edited:
Also, three "lost" vistas:

The Provincial Lunatic Asylum terminating Ossington:

ossingtonqueen.jpg

ossington2.jpg

Trinity College terminating Strachan:

trinitycollege.jpg

The Normal School terminating Bond:

normalschool.jpg

Notwithstanding Ryerson fulfilling the same function:

bondstreet2.jpg

Attachments

• ossingtonqueen.jpg
    ossingtonqueen.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,159
  • trinitycollege.jpg
    trinitycollege.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 946
  • ossington2.jpg
    ossington2.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 1,150
  • normalschool.jpg
    normalschool.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,098
  • bondstreet2.jpg
    bondstreet2.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1,068
Last edited:
Also, it's always bothered me the way the Mining Building on College Street was designed (symmetry above all!) that it missed terminating McCaul Street.

mccaul.jpg

Attachments

• mccaul.jpg
    mccaul.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 627
Great stuff, thecharioteer. Toronto has many great vistas, but they're mostly underappreciated--even among our urban planners and architects. All of the city's heritage agencies should promote awareness of them. New vistas are possible too. Urban planners and architects should keep that in mind.

Like when you realise Queens Park is asymmetrical...

Buildings don't have to be symmetrical to make for striking vistas. However, they should have an interesting profile; buildings that have a boxy, rectangular profile like the Vu condo on Adelaide East generally don't make for interesting vistas.

Great stuff, thecharioteer. Toronto has many great vistas, but they're mostly underappreciated--even among our urban planners and architects. All of the city's heritage agencies should promote awareness of them. New vistas are possible too. Urban planners and architects should keep that in mind.

Thanks, junctionist. Good example of a new vista was the creation of the vista of St. James Cathedral through the sensitive site-planning of Market Square and the creation of the Sculpture Garden.

stjamescathedral.jpg

stjamescathedral2.jpg

Attachments

• stjamescathedral.jpg
    stjamescathedral.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 629
  • stjamescathedral2.jpg
    stjamescathedral2.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 638
Buildings don't have to be symmetrical to make for striking vistas. However, they should have an interesting profile; buildings that have a boxy, rectangular profile like the Vu condo on Adelaide East generally don't make for interesting vistas.

I agree. Vu doesn't quite work on Adelaide, whereas Verve (as banal as it is) seems to work on Wellesley East.

New vistas are possible too. Urban planners and architects should keep that in mind.

Will the new design of Women's College address the vista up Elizabeth Street?

elizabethstreet.jpg

Looks like it won't:

WmColHosp01Day.jpg

As to why a unique Deco building had to be demolished for a parkette and driveway is a whole other story....

womenscollege.jpg

Attachments

• elizabethstreet.jpg
    elizabethstreet.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 631
  • WmColHosp01Day.jpg
    WmColHosp01Day.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 633
  • womenscollege.jpg
    womenscollege.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 632
Last edited: