News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Automation Gallery

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
If true, this is disturbing.:eek::mad:

City must change radically or ‘turn off the lights’

The city’s financial statements for last year — on the agenda of Tuesday’s audit committee — paint yet another disturbing picture of a corporation that has slipped deeper and deeper into debt with no thought given to saying enough is enough.

According to the consolidated statements, the city’s net debt — which has increased by an average 15.65% per year compounded over the last four years — stood at $2.89 billion at the end of last year.

But budget chief Mike Del Grande says they’ll be saddled with debt of $4.3 billion by 2014 largely because of commitments made by the David Miller regime before they left office.

Those bills amount to a scandalous $2.4 billion, if one includes $361 million in legal claims outstanding against city departments for such issues as slips and falls on city sidewalks or damage from potholes.

The claims tally does not include a $100-million lawsuit against the city by merchants and landlords who had to endure the St. Clair dedicated streetcar debacle since the “outcome of the claim is not determinable” at this point.

The statements show there was no end to the spending frenzy on Miller’s beloved TTC.

Granted many of the TTC vehicles are 35 years old or more and need to be replaced. But I’m shocked this kind of buying binge would occur over such a short span of time with little thought to the amount of debt required to fund it.

There is $89 million still owing for 95 of the more than 1,000 buses ordered between 2005 and 2009.

Another $532 million is outstanding for more than 49 subway trainsets for the TTC’s regular lines and the Spadina subway extension.

The TTC awarded two contracts in 2008 and 2010 to purchase 198 low-floor Wheel Trans vehicles costing $70.6 million, $34.5 million is yet to be paid out.

Then there’s $849 million still owing on the 204 LRVs ordered in 2009. The first group of those vehicles won’t be delivered until next year.

“This will take our debt charges from $450 million to $630 million just by standing still,” Del Grande said. “The only way to get a grip is to reduce debt, cash in or sell (assets).”

The consolidated statements — which contain many jewels — also shows a city severely hamstrung by employee benefit liabilities that topped $2.5 billion at the end of last year with a mere $182 million in the piggy bank (relevant reserve fund) to cover them.

Despite the talk of Miller’s great deal to end the 39-day CUPE strike in 2009 and claims 40% of union employees joined a new illness plan early last year, the statements show sick leave benefits liabilities increased from $429 million in 2009 to $434.5 million in 2010.

It should be noted 60% of employees did not opt out of the original plan, which gives them 18 days sick time per year to bank for a payout up to a maximum of 130 days when they retire or leave the city.

But if you think that’s gravy, consider another little bit of largesse for retired employees of the TTC and police, which is buried in the consolidated statements.

After they retire (from their jobs for life) TTC workers with at least 10 years of service continue to get benefits for life — that is, basic health care and dental coverage.

Ditto for all existing retirees from Toronto Police Services as long as they continue to share the cost of the premiums.

Del Grande says there’s no doubt the city needs to be “resized” to match the revenue to the expenses — something that should have been done right after amalgamation.

What they do over the next few months is “not going to be pretty” since people have been “accustomed to a certain lifestyle,” he adds.

He says Toronto’s situation has some similarities to the current problems in Greece, especially because there is going to be “pain” this fall.

“If we do nothing we’ll be left in the position of turning off the lights and closing the doors to the city sometime in November,” Del Grande said. “We’ll run out of money.”

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/07/04/torontos-greece-like-spending

Hehe, I knew from the thread title this was going to be a silly Sun article.

How is Toronto like Greece, other than that they both have debt? Greece's debt-to-GDP ratio is like 150%.

Greece is a bad example since that country 1/3 of the workers are government workers and majority of the positions were created just to provide jobs.Greece has to be the most corrupt european country hand down.Everyone from the trash collectors to the chief managements cheated on workhours and sick days....they had the most insane pro union benefits like bonus for showing up on time to work to 6 week vacations for 30 hour work weeks..

As a Greek who lived there and understands the financial and cultural issue surrounding Greece, this article is a sick joke.
To compare Toronto to Greece is to show you have zero knowledge regarding economics.
This whole mumbo jumbo that Toronto is broke and is in a financial mess is nothing more than clueless politicians trying to win votes. It's end of the world scaremongering.

I knew this would be a Toronto Sun article before I even clicked on the thread. No other paper would make such a ridiculous comparison.

I knew this would be a Toronto Sun article before I even clicked on the thread. No other paper would make such a ridiculous comparison.

Yes, all too predictable and stupid! There is a huge difference in borrowing for capital things and borrowing for 'operating expenses'. Greece can't even cover its non-interest expenses without borrowing and I must say that Toronto has a very easy 'fix" - RAISE TAXES. Having been given the power to raise taxes like the real estate transfer and vehicle taxes and then given up on the latter (and hoping to give up on the former) it is a bit hard to see why anyone like the Province should step in with more $$ and our property taxes are less than in many urban areas. Of course I prefer low taxes but I want to live in a City I can be proud of and that costs money.

5 replies, and the only thing you guys can pick apart is the comparison to Greece?

This whole mumbo jumbo that Toronto is broke and is in a financial mess is nothing more than clueless politicians trying to win votes.

So, you're saying there is no financial problem in Toronto? We don't have a spending and debt problem? I'm not attacking you, as I'm genuinely curious.

5 replies, and the only thing you guys can pick apart is the comparison to Greece?

So, you're saying there is no financial problem in Toronto? We don't have a spending and debt problem? I'm not attacking you, as I'm genuinely curious.

If anything, we have a tax problem. The property tax rate is out of wack, and needs to be adjusted appropriately. Hell, as a critic of the Toronto-centric taxes that Ford axed, I could support them if they were gradually eliminated as the property tax rate was adjusted to what it should be at.

Dear Toronto Sun. David Miller is not the mayor anymore (a man I was very critical of in office). Rob Ford is the Mayor and his policy decisions are creating waste at a rate that would even make Miller's administration blush.

P.S. Toronto has less of a spending problem as it has a productivity or efficiency problem. Let's start with the Sun's untouchable police force that constitute the largest line item on the budget. Unless you start talking about drasticly cutting the police budget or creating massive efficiencies within that department no discussion on the budget can be taken seriously.

Levy lists a whole lot of capital costs but stops short of saying outright that any of them were unnecessary. If people want to wave their hands and call the city wasteful, they should be prepared to back it up with a list of things that should be cut.

The comparison too Greece was a shameful comment that doesn't take into consideration the actual events that are taking place in Greece. It's beyond poor taste and no class.

And to answer your question, no they do not have a spending problem and blaming Miller for everything, seriously. Let's look at that contract the big blob just handed over to the police. The wasteful money being spent on the Eglinton line. Cancelling city revenue and planning to cancel another one.
As stated before Toronto city services are inefficient and it's costing the city money.
Also, the TTC is the only transit system in NA that does not get any funding from it's provincial/state government.

The comparison too Greece was a shameful comment that doesn't take into consideration the actual events that are taking place in Greece. It's beyond poor taste and no class.

And to answer your question, no they do not have a spending problem and blaming Miller for everything, seriously. Let's look at that contract the big blob just handed over to the police. The wasteful money being spent on the Eglinton line. Cancelling city revenue and planning to cancel another one.
As stated before Toronto city services are inefficient and it's costing the city money.
Also, the TTC is the only transit system in NA that does not get any funding from it's provincial/state government.

^ well put, Thanos.

It bugs me that the likes of that particular columnist has any audience whatsoever.

I like Levy and Ford,they tell it as it is,the city must cut cost,the city must not let unions dictate the future of the city,being green is great but if budgets cant support it reduce it until later,Ontario housing mess was the fault of Lastman and Miller,they knew it was a money pit but never investigated the way money was dished out and was open to abuse,so was the way city owned property was sitting empty and not maintained properly,it was the previous leaders that never focus on the asset value of them instead they let it rot.Ford selling them at market value will help with the budget.Ford is not political correct,he needs time to find ways to cut cost while not cutting service,the special interest groups demands is not high on the list for this office,they must help the poor and cut this status class that Miller created for himself,you forgot he spent millions renovating his office while shutting down three daycares run by the city due to lack of funds.I will vote for Ford again.

Back