News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

It's Ford's short-term 'solutions' (not really solutions, though) that irk and frustrate me the most. He truly has no long-term vision for the city and hasn't a clue on how to run one. Zero development plans and dodgey financial campaign practices, plus his right-wing homophobia and racism makes make him the worst mayor this city has had in my lifetime. He isn't a mayor, really, but a mouthpiece for the suburban right-wing set.

Unfortunately, any losses will be blamed on the Miller era and left-wing spending. He'll distract his supporters from the financial mess he'll create and destruction of the city's vitality and international respect with social issues (gay pride, funding for the arts, etc) and cheap wins like the $60 vehicle registration tax and get another term.

Agreed, to a certain point. The problem is also the inability to address city spending in the last 4 years of David Miller. The 'right wing' suburbia where general centrists and vote and have always voted liberal at the provincial/federal elections. The problem is the polarization of politics and policies within this city, and perhaps this country.

The NDP, like the Conservatives have been very good at catering to the very affluent(or pretend to be), and poor, at the same time, squeezing out the middle class.

So this is what happens. You end up with a polarized electorate, which then is reflected in the policies.

Everyone wants transit, no one wants to pay for it. Provincial/federal funding requires money, are you ready for a income tax increase? Riders dont' want a fare increase.

Everyone has these great ideas, but no one wants to pony up the cash.

The city needs an Obama intervention. Service cuts (lay offs/pension concessions) AND a reinstatement of vehicle registration tax and property tax hikes to deal with the short fall.

The problem, councillors on the left would never consider pushing through that motion (heck unions would never let this happen) and Fords' hard headedness would never consider increasing taxes.... no one has the political guts to make the 'hard choices' and too many partisan bunnies that just regurgitate the same talking points, with little to no critical thinking. You get the government you elect.

Last edited:
I think we definitely could use a 1 or 2% Municipal Sales Tax. We paid 15% combined GST+PST before. We'd just be bringing things back to that level.

13% HST + 2% MST...then we'd actually have a sustainable revenue source. Of course it'll have to be applied over continuous municipalities (e.g. Toronto, York, Peel, Halton and Durham) so that people don't just drive to a municipality without one.

I really think we should take those 2% back from the feds before the Feds decide they want it back for themselves.

At the risk of re-opening another pandora's box here but while I agree with some aspects of DTowner's post, the part where he refers to Ford as being homophobic and a racist have nothing to do with this topic. People need to stop projecting personal and very nasty traits onto others cause they don't like their politics. Is Ford a good politician? So far, the evidence is telling us no.

Last edited:
At the risk of re-opening another pandora's box here but while I agree with some aspects of DTowner's post, the part where he refers to Ford as being homophobic and a racist have nothing to do with this topic. People need to stop projecting personal and very nasty traits onto others cause they don't like their politics. Is Ford a good politician? So far, the evidence is telling us no.

Ford may or may not be a homophobe or racist but he is definitely
1) Stupid
2) Simple
3) Uneducated
4) Cynical
5) Braindead
6) Idiotic
7) Stupid
8) Stupid
9) Moronic

How many Americans are tired of the spending in America from the present administration.

did you forget the 2 useless wars predicated on lies by GWB et al?

his administration sure spent alot of $$$ during that time.

Yeah, 2 wars, completely off the books certainly didn't help their spending problems with the previous administration. Bush spent a lot yet people are trying to lay all the blame on Obama.

Yeah, 2 wars, completely off the books certainly didn't help their spending problems with the previous administration. Bush spent a lot yet people are trying to lay all the blame on Obama.

And people say Liberals/liberals like to tax-and-spend...

Back