No need to worry everyone. Lanterra will be installing decals similar to the ones posted below on each window pane. Thats should prevent birds from flying into the glass.

window_decal.jpg

Aren't birds attracted to the brighter fluorescent lighting which exists on most office buildings...i wasnt aware that there was an issue with them also crashing into condo towers:confused:

Aren't birds attracted to the brighter fluorescent lighting which exists on most office buildings...i wasnt aware that there was an issue with them also crashing into condo towers:confused:

Check out FLAP's website: http://www.flap.org/index.php

According to their research, most bird collisions occur during the day when birds naturally migrate - especially in the spring and fall. The windows mimic the sky, disorientating the birds. It's estimated that nearly 1 billion birds die from window collisions across N. America each year (again, see FLAPs website).

There are currently 2 landmark cases going through Ontario's courts, suing building owners for using particularly reflective glass. There is a push to add films over reflective windows, but apart from that there is no legal requirement to use 'bird-safe' glass.

In other words, I can guarantee that ICE and its owners don't give a birds-ass about this issue...

I am surprised the office component still hasn't started construction; you would expect they'd want to build the foundation for the whole sire concurrently. Odd to see that little parking lot hanging on surrounding by the most intense development underway in Canada--if not in all of North America.

I am surprised the office component still hasn't started construction; you would expect they'd want to build the foundation for the whole sire concurrently. Odd to see that little parking lot hanging on surrounding by the most intense development underway in Canada--if not in all of North America.

Well aside from wtc right?

As much as I love animals, I don't think that the developer has to worry about birds hitting Ice's windows, regardless of how reflective it is. I may be wrong, but I would think that birds hit windows of buildings that are isolated/located near a large park/on the edge of a cluster of buildings, none of which describes Ice. The only place where a large number of migratory birds gather, that I can think of, are the islands. There are too many buildings in the way for Ice to be a problem for those birds. If anyone more familiar with the topic can correct me, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Edit: The cladding IS really reflective BUT I'm reserving judgment, because it is really easy for highly reflective cladding to look cheap IMO.

As much as I love animals, I don't think that the developer has to worry about birds hitting Ice's windows, regardless of how reflective it is. I may be wrong, but I would think that birds hit windows of buildings that are isolated/located near a large park/on the edge of a cluster of buildings, none of which describes Ice. The only place where a large number of migratory birds gather, that I can think of, are the islands. There are too many buildings in the way for Ice to be a problem for those birds. If anyone more familiar with the topic can correct me, I'd love to hear your thoughts.

Edit: The cladding IS really reflective BUT I'm reserving judgment, because it is really easy for highly reflective cladding to look cheap IMO.

If Darwin were alive, he'd advise not to worry. Birds will learn, or at least some will.

12 May 2012

Were you able to make out the colour of the windows rdaner? It's hard to make out with today's overcast conditions. Great photo btw, and it's exciting to see the windows going in already.

yup, starting to get over the whole bird issue. Looks awesome. and shiny. as long as nothing cute and fuzzy dies we are cool

Just when you thought the bird issue was dead: http://www.thestar.com/news/article...illion-will-fly-over-in-spring-migration?bn=1

Their en masse arrival is also worrisome as more birds are likely to smash into windows — not just the glass towers downtown, but also houses and even utility sheds. It’s the second leading cause of bird death after habitat loss. (FLAP, the Fatal Light Awareness Program ( www.flap.org), has information on making homes and workplaces safe for birds.

I don't want to keep chirping about birds but I find it shameful that while the City supports programmes to make buildings bird-friendly, it simultaneously goes dumb when its coffers are being loaded with development fees. Where's the backbone? Where's the leadership? Where's the civic morality?

The glass issue is just part of a wider issue: the lack of design standards. Toronto is making history and yet the city is too weak to encourage any kind of design excellence? It's an impoverished attitude thing that's epitomized by our election of Ford, and it needs to change. If not, we can continue to expect a lot more feathered fatalities.

Back