Their en masse arrival is also worrisome as more birds are likely to smash into windows — not just the glass towers downtown, but also houses and even utility sheds. It’s the second leading cause of bird death after habitat loss. (FLAP, the Fatal Light Awareness Program ( www.flap.org), has information on making homes and workplaces safe for birds.

I don't want to keep chirping about birds but I find it shameful that while the City supports programmes to make buildings bird-friendly, it simultaneously goes dumb when its coffers are being loaded with development fees. Where's the backbone? Where's the leadership? Where's the civic morality?

Then do you propose the government tear down the houses and utility sheds as well?

Over the course of my life, I along with most others here, have eaten thousands upon thousands of birds. We are directly responsible for all of those bird deaths. So it would be quite the feat of mental gymnastics for me to suddenly feel much sympathy over the occasional few that die by smacking into the side of buildings. Would it somehow be justifiable if they immediately thereafter fell into my dinner plate?

I'm all in favour of preservation by preventing human encroachment into natural habitats, but cities are humanity's natural habitats, and naturally they present a unique set of environmental conditions for other species. Survival in cities requires a unique set of mental and physical attributes. While some species adapt to the challenges and opportunities that cities present and flourish living side by side with humans, others do not. As was the case with the peppered moth, it's a matter of natural selection.

people are just being p***ys about it.

they are birds get over it. not many are gonna die. are you seeing piles of birds at the bases of buildings? no. the problem is just being blown up by environmentalist. this is a big city we are not gonna halt growth so 10 less birds die a year

people are just being p***ys about it.

about 9 million birds die in Toronto per year from shiny windows (FLAP statistic). The issue isn't highrise construction, its material selection. The City has identified the problem - why doesn't it stick to its guns?

Below is a portion of the birds that died in Toronto during last year's migrating season.

Attachments

• img-who-0004.jpg
    img-who-0004.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 239
about 9 million birds die in Toronto per year from shiny windows (FLAP statistic). The issue isn't highrise construction, its material selection. The City has identified the problem - why doesn't it stick to its guns?

Below is a portion of the birds that died in Toronto during last year's migrating season.

omg can we please stop with the god damn bird comments!?!? this thread is not about birds!! where are the mods??

Birds aren't exactly innocent parties. They have gummed up the ocasional jet engine.

Anyway, I'm more concerned about keeping our glass towers clean, dont want them looking like windshields.

The photo is stamped 2009, so i highly doubt that is from last year's migrating season

there are millions more where that came from, and that pile is obviously a set up one by "flap" who is obviously bias on the issue and will release what stats and pics they see fit to get their word out. its not that i dont care about the birds its just being overblown in this thread. i highly doubt ice is gonna create a environmental disaster

back to the topic

DmqNb.jpg

Last edited:
Wow... I like a sharp, attractive building design as much as the next person, but I can't believe the absolute disdain for the environment displayed in here. It's one thing to go "I'm not overly concerned with bird deaths", but to say "f$&k the birds" or "f$#k nature" is alarming to me. The modern city is an exciting thing, in fact one of the most exciting things I know, but it dismays me that so many people these days are completely out of touch with the importance of keeping nature intact when we can. Oi.

TL;DR: It's one thing to have a disregard for nature, but to say "Meh, f#$k nature" is a red card and if I were planet Earth, I'd immediately eject you from my surface for saying that.

Last edited:
^ for me its more of a survival of the fittest scenario. I do my best to keep the planet clean but saying that reflective windows should be banned outright, is like saying roads should be banned because of roadkill.
SP!RE i respect ur opinion very highly and agree with 99% of ur posts, but i dont think most of us in the "shiny window> value of avian life" camp actually have an "absolute disdain for nature"
DDT was a problem for birds because they were eating insects poisoned with it.... so it was banned... if a bird is dumb enough to think a shiny window is the sky, does that bird have any more right to live than a squirrel that thinks he can frogger across the 401? I use public transit, I recycle, i do what i can for the planet....but when it comes to migratory birds hitting windows....i really couldn't care less. How many poor dogs and cats die from being hit by cars? do we ban cars? This debate is insanity to me.

Is the issue even that big considering the location of Ice? It's already surrounded by tall buildings with reflective glass (sure many aren't as tall, but still). And just how many birds fly through the core anyway? Of course it's not zero but I wouldn't think there would be throngs of them. I would think the noise of the city would deter them from the area. But hey, I'm no ornithologist.

Wow... I like a sharp, attractive building design as much as the next person, but I can't believe the absolute disdain for the environment displayed in here. It's one thing to go "I'm not overly concerned with bird deaths", but to say "f$&k the birds" or "f$#k nature" is alarming to me. The modern city is an exciting thing, in fact one of the most exciting things I know, but it dismays me that so many people these days are completely out of touch with the importance of keeping nature intact when we can. Oi.

TL;DR: It's one thing to have a disregard for nature, but to say "Meh, f#$k nature" is a red card and if I were planet Earth, I'd immediately eject you from my surface for saying that.

I agree! The comments I've read in this thread are just so unnecessary and juvenile.

Were you able to make out the colour of the windows rdaner? It's hard to make out with today's overcast conditions. Great photo btw, and it's exciting to see the windows going in already.

I was driving by on the Gardiner yesterday and saw the glass and from the looks of it, it had a greenish or blueish hue to it. I don't know if that was because of the lighting conditions or what. I wasn't able to capture a photo since I was in the drivers seat. The glass did not look like the first photo that was posted here a week or two ago, which looked to be highly reflective - almost chrome like.

Back