As the topic of the Birds and Buildings was discussed in this thread (and I couldn't find a specific thread devoted to the topic), here's an article about window films that are designed to improve bird safety http://www.yongestreetmedia.ca/features/featherfriendlybirdbuildings05302012.aspx?utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=That's+a+wrap%3a+How+a+Toronto+technology+is+helping+birds+fly+more+safely&utm_content=%7bEmail_Address%7d&utm_campaign=YSM+Weekly%3a+A+tale+of+3+farmers'+markets+%26+bird-friendly+buildings. The article mentions Toronto Green Standard for new sustainable site and building designs with standards for "Glass and Other Design Features for Migratory Birds" (pg 15) for new mid- and high-rise buildings.

from today
DSCF4356.jpg

DSCF4363.jpg

DSCF4380.jpg

DSCF4385.jpg

DSCF4368.jpg

DSCF4494.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice! Thanks for the pics, sam95ta1. Once this glass goes up most of the buildings they're going to be real stunners. A much better execution of the balcony glass than it's neighbour across the street at MLS.

That glass is going to shimmer so nicely, it's like Telus House, but darker, and the slight angle between the panels will really make this building look amazing. Lanterra is having a great streak, Murano, Burano and now this! Can't wait to see these climb into the sky!

Looking at the pictures posted by Sam I am having trouble understanding what it is I am looking at. At first I thought that I was looking at balcony glass but on closer inspection there is no balcony. It appears that they are sandwiching frosted panes of glass against the floor to ceiling windows. For what purpose? This will take away from the view inside and how will they keep the inside window clean? Will they have to remove the frosted panel to do this?

Looking at the pictures posted by Sam I am having trouble understanding what it is I am looking at. At first I thought that I was looking at balcony glass but on closer inspection there is no balcony. It appears that they are sandwiching frosted panes of glass against the floor to ceiling windows. For what purpose? This will take away from the view inside and how will they keep the inside window clean? Will they have to remove the frosted panel to do this?
I might be wrong but if you look at the second level with glass, you will see double doors that open to a narrow but tangible balcony... It might not be ideal for bbq'ing, but there appears to be a 2-3 foot distance between the two... The lowest cladded level also has ample balcony room on the far right... I'm assuming units are priced accordingly...

Last edited:

They're glass Juliet balconies.

Back