Before there was balcony glass in being isntalled on this site there were two smoke stacks yet to come down. This picture was scanned from a book published in 1989.

7887882812_2ddaaf2062_b.jpg

Awesome. Thanks for the scan. Note the crane on the southernmost condo to the west of Harbourfront.

*And the 'SkyDome' sign. *Tear*

And the crane working on the original Waterpark Place.... All glory to the hypnotoad indeed. amazing posts

I'm actually liking the white highlights against the mirrored glass... the interesting feature of these buildings for me is where the floor plates change orientation higher up.

and I always feel sick to my stomach when I see old photos of Toronto like that one. 1989 was the year when I first moved to the city to attend college. It's miraculous how far we've come since then, even if so much of the architecture that has covered those industrial lands is lacking in imagination.

I don't think anyone can debate the following fact:

For a condo, this is probably some of the best quality glass we've seen used in the GTA to date. The lack of a mullion is amazing as well.

But, I'm afraid these buildings will be rather monotone when complete ! I almost wish the balcony glass wasn't the same throughout.

These are shaping up nicely. I also like the glossy clean finish of the glass without the obvious mullions and excessive paneling, when there's a lot of that in one place it starts to look cluttered and sometimes quite chintzy. At even half their height these ones would be standouts imo.

I haven't seen this area since I don't live there anymore. How is the neighborhood looking. Based on the pictures alone, it looks quite nice. Clean, modern, green... Am I mistaken??

Walked through there yesterday, it's looking pretty good actually! It for sure needs some more time, and that parking lot on the south west side of Bremner and York needs to be replaced with either a public plaza or something low/mid rise, but it for sure has great potential! 18 york has really great attention paid at the base and the whole area has a very modern feel to it. With another decade or so of businesses moving in and out, it could be major intersection for Toronto! At least I'm optimistic.

Tall healthy trees along-side restaurant Eleven are excellent and I expect Ice will do the same.
In 1-2 years when the developments along Bremner are complete we should have a tree-lined promenade from ACC to Skydome comprising both sports & event bookends, Aquarium, Railway museum, CN Tower, Real Sports. So there will be lots to do.
On the horizon, of couse, is more big architecture involving a new Convention Centre & towers by Oxford.
Forgot to mention it will be our transportation hub too as Union Station is completed.
We better get this area right since about $10 billion is being spent!

that parking lot on the south west side of Bremner and York needs to be replaced with either a public plaza or something low/mid rise, but it for sure has great potential!

The 16 York Street office tower will be built on that parking lot.

Thanx for the replies guys. But y r they not putting trees all along the street. Y only in front of certain restaurants and buildings. Should be trees all along.

The 16 York Street office tower will be built on that parking lot.

...well if they handle the pedestrian level in the same way 18 York has turned out, then I'm not concerned. I now it's a different company, but based on the quality of Ice, it should be a nice addition. Again, here's to hoping!

Back