You're probably right - we'll look into that!

SP!RE is correct, the columns do not carry any load and are purely an aesthetic enhancement. I believe they will be clad so they are thicker and more substantial-looking.

I think some of them are structural, just not the ones facing York. The ones in the back I think are structural.

urbantoronto-7307-24863.jpg

Last edited:
I can't quite believe how much this area has changed since I arrived here in 2006. Very impressive.

WP_20130329_023.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20130329_023.jpg
    WP_20130329_023.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 525
While I do like most of the buildings in that shot, I'd love to see Stern return to Toronto, and build a nice neo-deco building somewhere on the harbourfront, just to balance out all that glass. One or two stone-clad, or well-treated pre-cast clad towers would work wonders.

I like 1 St. Thomas and it's in an established area so visually it makes sense to me, but I think a faux-deco skyscraper would look very out of place in an area like Southcore, given that it is only developing as an urban neighbourhood now and was home to train yards and industrial lands back when it was the era of the art-deco skyscraper.

I agree that a greater variation in materials would be great, but I don't think a deco skyscraper is the answer.

While I do like most of the buildings in that shot, I'd love to see Stern return to Toronto, and build a nice neo-deco building somewhere on the harbourfront, just to balance out all that glass. One or two stone-clad, or well-treated pre-cast clad towers would work wonders.

I soo agree with you. Y don't they?? Is glass cheaper???

Took this at Polson Pier on Good Friday. Note Ãce to the left of the CN Tower.

Toronto 1a.jpg

Attachments

• Toronto 1a.jpg
    Toronto 1a.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 759

Back