omg omg omg it's so HOT.. jesus i feel like im dreaming.. omg omg omg omg are we really going to get those?? omg omg omg I think im going to have a f***ing heart attack.. omg.. it's so beautiful.... im crying

Is this Cal in disguise? ;)

Seriously though, this render does look great

Ziggy:

And they should be - considering the limited amount land for commerical uses in the downtown core. In some regards, MLS is a bad precedent, though it's rather explicitly stated that it's a one-off project and not to be used as a general policy change in land uses for the area. We'll see.

Personally, I'd be a lot happier if 2/3 of the floorspace is office and 1/3 residential.

AoD

Yeah, I agree. But I have the same concern as Metroman, I'm worried they'll just reduce the amount of residential, rather than increase the office space. They should really mandate a minimum amount of office space for each parcel of land, and then let the developers add as much residential as they want to on top of that. The worst thing they could do is just reduce the height of the residential towers. This area could handle the density.

This is also my problem with 18 York, it's too small. They should be building 50 storey office towers in this area.

As neat as the podium looks, I am wondering just how pleasant that space would be to walk along when winter rolls around. It looks awfully exposed...

Yeah, I'm also not sold on the "podium". It's basically just a giant awning. I think it's one of those ideas that looks good on paper, but wouldn't be so pleasant in reality. It could end up being a dark lifeless area. A nice 5-storey streetwall with retail and restaurants at the base would be better, in my opinion.

I really like these buildings, and losing height on them to make the proportion of office higher is just silly (and just something I see happening). I could live without the Swiss cheese, as cool as I think it is/will be.

It's kinda hypocritical for the city to be worried about doling over too much land to residential uses here when they freely approve projects with solely residential uses on other well-located sites. If a great office site is going to go residential, it should make good use of the property, like 300 Front West, and not be a waste of cladding, like putrid Infinity. I'm glad they're acknowledging or worrying about office space, though there will always be future opportunities for new buildings. There's plenty of short aging office buildings downtown that will be replaced by skyscrapers if all the redevelopable shacks and parking lots are soon eaten up.

Street View

1241_20.JPG

It's kinda hypocritical for the city to be worried about doling over too much land to residential uses here when they freely approve projects with solely residential uses on other well-located sites. If a great office site is going to go residential, it should make good use of the property, like 300 Front West, and not be a waste of cladding, like putrid Infinity. I'm glad they're acknowledging or worrying about office space, though there will always be future opportunities for new buildings. There's plenty of short aging office buildings downtown that will be replaced by skyscrapers if all the redevelopable shacks and parking lots are soon eaten up.

I think there is a lot of merit in your last point. Redevelopment of older buildings is inevitable if/when there is another office building boom. I prefer a mix of uses in the core to keep it from becoming a ghost town at night. The financial district lacks, imo, a significant mix of uses so this development, 300 Front, Shangri-la and boutique, Trump and some others are good fits.

Actually, that's why I carried on with the quotes. I thought ""podium"" looked kinda weird.

I think there is a lot of merit in your last point. Redevelopment of older buildings is inevitable if/when there is another office building boom. I prefer a mix of uses in the core to keep it from becoming a ghost town at night. The financial district lacks, imo, a significant mix of uses so this development, 300 Front, Shangri-la and boutique, Trump and some others are good fits.

It's funny that you mention ghost towns...residential zones are the ghost towns after dark. Front currently is livelier at night than any residential street. Adding three condos to a central business district has a purely theoretical, "feel good" impact on the ghost town status, but the loss of good office sites may not be as theoretical. But all this *is* theoretical until the current boom eats up all the parking lots and developers are forced to start looking at the next weakest form of prey if they want to build condos or offices.

The report from the city planning division sounded fairly negative. They're concerned that the proposal has too much residential, and not enough office space.

I remember reading a report not long ago, addressing the city's issue concerning keeping office development potential in and around the Financial District for future needs.

In a nutshell, the findings said that there is enough space within approved, on-hold office projects alone within the area to fulfill the projected long-term office space needs in the future (something like 14-17 million square feet).

So basically, there is no basis to panic that all development space will be hogged by condos, and it certainly is not a wise idea to start curtailing condo development where it is both wanted...and needed.

Tonnes of crustola & crapola buildings can get knocked down to build office towers too. If an office tower is needed, as we've seen with Brookfield, knocking over a few shitboxes is not a problem to get a "one bad boy" built.

Maybe the open-air podium/ canopy idea is a good one in an area that's going to be so crazy dense. Nothing wrong with a little bit of open space. Although, there will be Union Square on Bremner... hmm.

Interesting project!

Back