Do you ever feature your own pics as photo of the day? If not, can you with my nomination? ;)

Regardless, this is a real beauty!
I do feature my own sooooometimes, but I always feel weird about it. And it's usually a case of me not having enough time to comb the forum. I always prefer to feature forum contributors over myself, thank you for the kind words!

Last edited:
^ I’d be curious to know whether these ‘Airbnb hotels‘ and the issues we are hearing about, have occurred in other cities to the extent that they have in Toronto. It seems like this problem has been exacerbated by a number of factors unique to our city. Nevertheless, what a nightmare for the people that live here. Look no further than the Google reviews for Ice condos.

^ I’d be curious to know whether these ‘Airbnb hotels‘ and the issues we are hearing about, have occurred in other cities to the extent that they have in Toronto. It seems like this problem has been exacerbated by a number of factors unique to our city. Nevertheless, what a nightmare for the people that live here. Look no further than the Google reviews for Ice condos.

Large portion of investor owned properties, I'd say.

AoD

It's not as big of a problem outside Toronto. Here you have more wannabe gang members and uneducated morons that think by selling drugs, women and posting pics on Instagram with guns and drugs they will look cool.

When I was doing condo security at Maple Leaf Square during covid we had a large party with a bunch of skinny black guys with fake teeth and jewelry using words like "fam and yo n***** " every other word . They brought along their big assed women who were bringing about 40 people up to a unit to party (all of which looked more interesting as the night progressed). They had so much booze, gaudy jewelry and such disrespect to everyone in the building that you could tell what sort of people they were.

When I left that night we had about 20 cops show up asking if I had called them (I was the security supervisor) and I told them I had no clue what was going on. Turns out some of the guests I had seen come in earlier were armed to the teeth and shooting people inside the unit.

They had about 50 bottles of booze in the unit and when the cops came there were more than a few people using drugs and having sex in the unit.

It was clear upon the cops arrival what was going on but that being said this is what you get in Toronto. You no longer get respectable tourists, you get gangbangers looking for a place to gather away from the sight of the cops.
Wow crazy story, why does MLS and Ice are always location for these stories lol

...short term rentals that can't keep their clients under control should really have no business in this jurisdiction, municipal or provincial, IMO. It's a shame though, as people can and do party responsibly.

Edit/Update: The first part of my has been redacted, as it was in response to now moderated conversation. And thus, is no longer relevant. As the 2nd part has been slightly edited to reflect that.

Note: I am planning on keeping other aspects of my conversation in tact for now, as the context of the moderation is still available in the quotes.

Last edited:
When I was doing condo security at Maple Leaf Square during covid we had a large party with a bunch of skinny black guys with fake teeth and jewelry using words like "fam and yo n***** " every other word . They brought along their big assed women who were bringing about 40 people up to a unit to party (all of which looked more interesting as the night progressed). They had so much booze, gaudy jewelry and such disrespect to everyone in the building that you could tell what sort of people they were.

The best was the bachelorette party I saw at MLS. One of the bridesmaids became super drunk and ran completely naked through the hallways.

Could there be unconscious bias operating here?

When you told the story about partiers who apparently shot up an apartment, you identified them by their race. When you told the story about a bachelorette stripping down in the hallway, you didn't.

What is it about those kids' blackness in the first story, that made it more compelling a narrative?

I'm sure you didn't mean anything by it, but think about it and keep UT a safe space.

You're in private security, which is essentially a first responder for law enforcement.

If your only response to someone politely questioning why you identified a group of people you were complaining about by their race in a highly public forum is *eyeroll* you might want to dial in to the black lives matter movement.

You're in private security, which is essentially a first responder for law enforcement.

If your only response to someone politely questioning why you identified a group of people you were complaining about by their race in a highly public forum is *eyeroll* you might want to dial in to the black lives matter movement.
First response in the alt-fact world is to /roll eyes?

Either way, it was the "big assed women" descriptive that got me doing a o_O!

Last edited:
From management tonight....

TSCC2510 October 13 Firearms Incident Notice​
Dear Residents and Owners,

There was a firearms incident at ICE Condominiums on Tuesday, October 13, associated with a short term rental unit. Shots were fired, no one was injured, but the Police did arrest and charge 5 individuals. We have received many emails from residents expressing concerns about their safety and looking for answers from management as well as challenging building staff for not doing enough regarding short term rentals to protect them.

We are all concerned about this incident and we have been in contact with residents who have been directly affected by it extending all of the assistance that we could provide.

Given the serious nature of the incident and some questions about how was the issue handled we would like to share with residents some relevant information. Please see attached document providing details in chronological order of what in fact occurred.

Was this short term rental illegal?
No. The unit in question is a registered short term rental within the building, which means that the Owner has provided proof of principal residence and has been notified of the following upon registration:

Owner agrees to comply with City Zoning By-laws and to ensure that all STR guests: 1) Sign-in with security upon arrival; 2) provide a copy of their unit reservation showing arrival and departure dates (to be uploaded by the short-term rental host in advance); 3) complete a screening questionnaire and temperature check (applicable during COVID-19 pandemic); 4) provide photo ID and contact information; and, 5) sign-in process will include a covenant by the short-term tenant to comply with all rules and health and safety policies. *Building access fobs for short-term rental guests will be restricted to only the front door of the building, with no amenity access, and no rear door or garage door entry. *Short-term rental units shall be temporarily removed from the building’s electronic entry directory.

However, despite of this, the owner’s agent did fail to register the guests and failed to take control of the situation with respect to their unit when contacted by Building Security. As such, a violation letter from management will follow and the matter will be escalated to the legal counsel of the Corporation for further enforcement.

Did ICE Condo board and management fail to take action regarding short term rentals?
ICE Condominiums was one of the first Condominium Corporations to invoke section 117 of the Condominium Act as early as March 26, 2020. Please see the article below:

https://www.thestar.com/business/20...ndos-to-ban-airbnbs-amid-covid-19-crisis.html

This was in place up until Stage 3. However, due to the immense pressure from a group of STR landlords who oppose Corporation’s rules (i.e. Rule 9) and policies, it was agreed by the board to permit STR, however, now requiring STRs to comply with City’s short term rental by-laws (i.e. principal residence, etc.).

Toronto STR By-laws Enforcement, Calling 311…
Kindly note, management has reached out to the City on several occasions seeking assistance and cooperation with respect to enforcement against illegal short term rentals. To date, the City has not yet established a protocol that we could circulate to residents for reporting suspected illegal STR and related issues such as noise violations. We have been informed that when residents call 311 to report abuses, they are referred to the Toronto Police. However no action has been taken by the City or Toronto Police related to STRs. Police do respond, as they did in this matter when it is about public safety.

If you are a resident at ICE Condos and you feel that the City is not doing enough to help ICE Condominiums with illegal short term rentals, you may wish to reach out to Councillor Joe Cressy at councillor_cressy@toronto.ca, and advise that we have a team readily available to work with the City towards enforcement of Applicable Zoning By-laws.

What is management going to do now that this happened?
We will be reviewing with the Board our on-going policies and rules related to STR. Furthermore, with the recent move back to a more restricted Stage 3, we are recommending to the Board that they consider re-establishing the prohibition of all short-term rental activities (being any rental that is less than 28 consecutive days).

Additionally, we continue to review our overall protocols, including increasing Security staffing during long weekends and holidays, given that we see an increase in STR activity, such as we just experienced and requires more building staff.

Finally, we are recommending that we adopt a no tolerance policy for unregistered guests who are disruptive upon entering the building and who do not cooperate when requested to provide their information. The goal of this, is to remove or prevent entry of people who will not abide by the Buildings rules and policies, and have no long-term interest in complying with the respecting the safety of the community. Ice is not a hotel, or a vacation resort, and we expect all visitors and guest to treat it as the home it is to the majority of the people living here.

Regards,

Fisnik Basha, Gen. Lic.
Senior Condominium Manager​

This is completely missing the real problem. Whether a guest is registered or not or whether owners are “complying” with city and corporation rules, it doesn’t fix the problem of people - shitty people.

The real problem is the types of trash that choose to stay here and use this building as a party house. The good types of guests are very few and far between.

This will always remain to be an issue until the board agrees that STRs are not to be allowed here, which will never happen. People make too much money from listing their properties.

No one has any power over this.

I’ve lived here for 5 years and this has always been a huge issue here. It has never improved. I feel sorry for security because there is simply not enough to possible keep an eye on everyone in these two massive towers.

People have the right to do what they wish with their units, but there has to be a point where people loose the complete ability to ever use their property as an STR again. The laws are not tough enough, this will never happen.

Back