I also like the design of these buildings and environs, they'll beautifully break up the monotony found down in that area, that's for sure.

Imagine this shot with the Ice office building and Southcore - wow what a shift. Keep 'em coming.

4854291542_8bff9cea9a_b.jpg

gotta love it, thanks for the illustration.

gotta love it, thanks for the illustration.

I hold out hope (albeit practically none) that these condos will uphold the "Vancouverism" ideals that the office towers are seemingly unable to address. Some quality street-level offerings might really save this neighbourhood from...well, not being a much of a neighbourhood.

slightly raised street facing townhomes would have look ridiculous as the bases of the commercial towers

^^ Which development are you referring to? When was that a part of the plans?

In that pic. above, I can't get over how tall and slim these towers are. Geez. They make the MLS towers across the street look fat.

Also-- do we know yet if they are building the entire podium and adding the office tower later? Or just building the podium section that serves the condominium towers?

^^ Which development are you referring to? When was that a part of the plans?

In that pic. above, I can't get over how tall and slim these towers are. Geez. They make the MLS towers across the street look fat.

That happens when you have a behemoth of a podium like they have. I know almost everyone on UT are PODIAPHILES (a made-up word meaning podium lovers), but I am not a big fan. It does tend to make the tower on top appear much shorter than it is.

Just imagine if MLS were just as tall and wide but right to the street with a one floor podium. They would soar like mad to the sky.

Bremner Blvd - a missed opportunity?

ML Square, Telus and 18 York have all contributed greatly to a once derilect neighbourhood - ICE will do so as well. All have their faults, but what redeems them are the high quality of their street-level materials and design. However, I can't help but find this entire corridor illustrative of Toronto's biggest problem: squandering prime planning opportunities.

Should there not have been a vision crafted for Bremner 10 years ago? Was a new street linking our baseball stadium with our hockey/basketball arena, lined with the our most famous tourist site, a historic park and our convention centre, not seen as a defining opportunity? Couldn't it have been, say, our Las Ramblas? Or a cafe-lined boulevard? Or a sports-lovers paradise of tailgate zones and outdoor event spaces? Or an extended, undulating, green park? Or something...anything? (Ideas would be appreciated....these are admittedly lame examples).

Luckily, the street has recovered from the horrific start of the condo beside the ICE site, with its hulking second story balcony hiding its dry cleaners and Subways, but it could have been so much more. Ignoring the injustices of the concrete, bunker-like parking lot entrances "welcoming" you to Roundhouse Park and the proposed Ripley's Aquarium that would be dismissed as tacky by any Tea Party-lovin' municipality, the area will succeed in spite of itself, as much of Toronto does - but how many more chances do we have to build signature areas, loved by locals and tourists alike? It should not be this hard...

balmoral:

Considering the architectural/urban design qualities of Skydome, MTCC South, etc - I'd offer the opinion that its been squandered right from the get go. Personally, if I have my way, I'd want a street canyon that matches the scale of the Skydome podium.

AoD

ML Square, Telus and 18 York have all contributed greatly to a once derilect neighbourhood - ICE will do so as well. All have their faults, but what redeems them are the high quality of their street-level materials and design. However, I can't help but find this entire corridor illustrative of Toronto's biggest problem: squandering prime planning opportunities.

Should there not have been a vision crafted for Bremner 10 years ago? Was a new street linking our baseball stadium with our hockey/basketball arena, lined with the our most famous tourist site, a historic park and our convention centre, not seen as a defining opportunity? Couldn't it have been, say, our Las Ramblas? Or a cafe-lined boulevard? Or a sports-lovers paradise of tailgate zones and outdoor event spaces? Or an extended, undulating, green park? Or something...anything? (Ideas would be appreciated....these are admittedly lame examples).

Luckily, the street has recovered from the horrific start of the condo beside the ICE site, with its hulking second story balcony hiding its dry cleaners and Subways, but it could have been so much more. Ignoring the injustices of the concrete, bunker-like parking lot entrances "welcoming" you to Roundhouse Park and the proposed Ripley's Aquarium that would be dismissed as tacky by any Tea Party-lovin' municipality, the area will succeed in spite of itself, as much of Toronto does - but how many more chances do we have to build signature areas, loved by locals and tourists alike? It should not be this hard...

I agree. Perhaps the problem is that Bremner didn't have a well-established BIA putting the money toward a cohesive plan, like was done for the John St corridor. Another hinderance to better street oriented development along Bremner is the transportation dept's priority of keeping traffic flowing through that area to/from the Gardiner and Lakeshore.

Back