Ya. The old brick building on the left looks very nice. I hope it's protected.

Loblaws and the city are fighting about that right now. It's coming down but two (or three?) sides will go back up again as the interior is impossible to convert to retail and I think they also want below ground parking.

On Ice, it's looking terrific so far, I really hope the top and bottom work out well. If Tridel's Ten York can meet or exceed these buildings it will draw some attention away from so much of the dreck down there, many of the great buildings are lost behind the not-so-great buildings.

Can anyone confirm if these buildings will have mass dampers? They're so thin... you would seriously feel swaying in winds

Can anyone confirm if these buildings will have mass dampers? They're so thin... you would seriously feel swaying in winds

the shape of the buildings (being somewhat circular) probably also helps when coping with the wind, but ya, especially over the past few days, I can imagine how annoying it is for all the high rises in the city. especially being so close to the lake.

Lovely examples of buildings whose facades are more solid than void/glazed and still look outstandingly good. Lots of that in Toronto plz!

Ice rising afar through the buildings at Cityplace

2419xly.jpg

Interesting! Is the first residential building in Toronto with these?

The ICE towers are definitely not the first residential buildings with mass dampers. The L Tower has a Liquid Mass Damper and 1King West has one but I can’t remember much about it. There are probably others.

The ICE towers are definitely not the first residential buildings with mass dampers. The L Tower has a Liquid Mass Damper and 1King West has one but I can’t remember much about it. There are probably others.

The Maple Leaf Square towers have liquid mass dampers installed but they are not in use. Actual testing on the built towers has proven that the sway of the towers is much lower than originally estimated.

That's very interesting. I wonder why their estimates were so wrong. :S

Back