I don't see what is bad about this. The balconies shown in the recent render clearly shifts and is reflected by a matching shift on the other side. Almost as if it twists. I think it's safe to say an HPA project at such a prominent location is not going to end up looking like garbage.

This is going to be Yonge and Eglinton's Aura.

Edit: But worse.

Let's say architecture is entirely subjective for the moment. Aura will be the dominant tower between Yorkville and the CBD for the foreseeable future. This one, if it even gets built to these specs, will be surrounded by equally tall towers.

I agree this is awful - an incoherent check-the-box mishmash of cheap design elements without any elegance or unifying theme. But on the plus side, it's not any more aggressively ugly than the rest of YnE, so in that sense it fits into the neighbourhood.

Let's say architecture is entirely subjective for the moment. Aura will be the dominant tower between Yorkville and the CBD for the foreseeable future. This one, if it even gets built to these specs, will be surrounded by equally tall towers.

Not sure about that, considering the Eaton Chelsea and 385 Yonge proposal.

AoD

That's true although I don't consider the Eaton Chelsea proposal as a serious one. One Eglinton has some existing leases that will hold it up for many years too.

They should keep the nice rich existing granite facade just like they do with the old historical buildings. Then modify the first few floors for main entrance view after shoring the ground. Modify the upper part of the building a little to blend with the base. After all the building the stands there is more nice looking than the cheap clear looking box for a podium being proposed.

They should keep the nice rich existing granite facade just like they do with the old historical buildings. Then modify the first few floors for main entrance view after shoring the ground. Modify the upper part of the building a little to blend with the base. After all the building the stands there is more nice looking than the cheap clear looking box for a podium being proposed.
Just to play off what you said, the existing building, on a simple architectural basis, really holds a strong sense of urbanity along the intersection of Yonge and Eglinton, in the sense of just using simple lines as both functional yet tastefully asthetic with the red hue and simple boxes. The colonnades, although relatively meh with the experience to walk under, still hold up well with what was attempted at the time of construction. I'd rather not see this redeveloped, but if they at least tried referencing what was built previous to the proposed highrise, that would maybe make people less antsy with the overall design of what this holds. (Apologies if this post sounds like a rant, it isn't meant to be)
P1013016.JPG
:

Attachments

• P1013016.JPG
    P1013016.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 689
It sounds "all good" but not feasible to build a 65 storey skyscraper and keep that bldg. that probably needs to be updated and a complete retrofit?

It sounds "all good" but not feasible to build a 65 storey skyscraper and keep that bldg. that probably needs to be updated and a complete retrofit?
I can understand your point, and why this sounds very pointless, although at least attempting to keep the office portion of the building with some amount of the original material would be at least showing consideration to what was constructed before this highrise.

At the same time, does it really make sense to buy out all the tenant leases to build 55+ floors of condos and a replacement office that will take a lot of time to refill? I don't know what Davpart intentions really are. Just keep in mind, rezoning, in itself, is an investment. It doesn't expire and adds a lot value to the property. Consider what percentage of proposals actually go to market?

Back