I rent an office in one of Davpart's buildings, 44 Victoria. As has been suggested by others before, I would be very surprised if they went ahead with this, just like they haven't gone ahead with 481 University.

I think this is would be a horrible planning failure - Y&E needs more functioning office space (and this is perfectly fine one) and does not need another giant condo tower at this point.

The office space that's currently there will be replaced

The office space that's currently there will be replaced
I think his point is that there needs to be more office development, and not just all the residential development we've seen taken place there over the past 10 years.

The thing is, he's right. For one once the downtown core runs out of suitable areas for large scale developments, Yonge-Eglinton would be the next best place for dense office developments asides from East Harbour. A second point is that Y-E would be a perfect hub for medium sized business to locate for various reasons (among them good rapid transit access, and a relatively young demographics cohort).

Personally I think the city should be pushing for more office development in the area, and not just insisting on replacing office space on a 1-1 basis. Especially with the transit crisis we have in this city with everyone from the GTAH packing into the downtown core for work.

I think his point is that there needs to be more office development, and not just all the residential development we've seen taken place there over the past 10 years.

The thing is, he's right. For one once the downtown core runs out of suitable areas for large scale developments, Yonge-Eglinton would be the next best place for dense office developments asides from East Harbour. A second point is that Y-E would be a perfect hub for medium sized business to locate for various reasons (among them good rapid transit access, and a relatively young demographics cohort).

Personally I think the city should be pushing for more office development in the area, and not just insisting on replacing office space on a 1-1 basis. Especially with the transit crisis we have in this city with everyone from the GTAH packing into the downtown core for work.

I get that too. 1 EE is prime for AAA-class office space. It's a shame that most of the GFA was for condos.

I dont understand why if Yonge and Bloor, which has two subways lines, doesn't have the most office space we would expect a huge amount of office here just because it intersects with two transit lines.

I'll admit I don't know if there is, but if there is, you would have to put it in direct connection with the station. Hence why 1 EE is prime.

I'm sure AA-class space would be sufficient too.
My point is, if there is no demand for office space at Y&E, no offices will be built there, despite people's belief that this location is 'prime'.

My point is, if there is no demand for office space at Y&E, no offices will be built there, despite people's belief that this location is 'prime'.

Have you seen the vacancy rates for office space downtown? When demand is high and supply is thinning, costs rise. That makes a market for good quality office space at lower rates, and Y&E is prime for that due to what fuels downtown: good transit access. In this case, it's from two intersecting rapid transit lines in the N-S and E-W directions, but what it doesn't have is direct access from the GO; getting there means transferring to the TTC, adding time and cost to commuters. But it would serve intra-Toronto office talent well, and it's why I took your point on AAA-class demand and walked back my statement a bit.

Back