18 Yorkville was radical at that height toward the beginning of this boom. I'll bet 45-50s will be proposed here but they must retain and fully restore the Yonge Street properties which are mostly in decent condition and have all the bones to be restored well.

I also really hope they apply a "Five"-type concept here, integrating the heritage buildings on Yonge into the overall plan. Otherwise, new podium/buildings along main streets downtown should strive for a massing of at least 6-7 storeys to create a solid urban presence.

In terms of design, judging by Bazis' track record I guess we'll have to see what Varacalli has up his sleeve this time.

does anyone have an idea of the frontage and depth of the 6 lots (838-848 yonge) combined?

I also really hope they apply a "Five"-type concept here, integrating the heritage buildings on Yonge into the overall plan. Otherwise, new podium/buildings along main streets downtown should strive for a massing of at least 6-7 storeys to create a solid urban presence.

In terms of design, judging by Bazis' track record I guess we'll have to see what Varacalli has up his sleeve this time.

6-7 storeys of podium trashes the pedestrian experience, not to mention blocking sunlight for half of the day. The buildings there are just fine, restore them and build in behind.

6-7 storeys of podium trashes the pedestrian experience

....really? isn't Paris mostly 6-7 storeys? I like the pedestrian experience there......

....really? isn't Paris mostly 6-7 storeys? I like the pedestrian experience there......

Seriously, your comparing Paris to Toronto? Your comparing apples & broccoli.

Seriously, your comparing Paris to Toronto? Your comparing apples & broccoli.

That's not the point, DTG....your statement was that 6-7 storeys 'trashes the pedestrian experience'...I was merely pointing out that, at least in this one European city, that is not the case....

I don't think that 6-7 storeys trashes the pedestrian experience in Toronto at all...in fact, I think that this may be the ideal template for a superior pedestrian experience here, or anywhere else for that matter....2 storeys, which is what we mostly have today, is a less urban pedestrian experience, imo....to me it reflects a small town, frontier feel which I think is outmoded in today's Toronto. Just my opinion..

I wish we could have 6-7 story podiums on every project. Retail at the base with at least 1-2 floors of office above. Minto Midtown is my model. They did it right on that project.

i dont think 6-7s podium would be overkill.
the proximity to Y/B could warrant half of that to retail and the other half to offices.

I personally wish for the historical buildings to be retained, with no additional podium height. I just don't really like an additional few floors peeking up above the roof file of the historical buildings, it would just give the whole project a very cluttered look (of course, this could be mediated through excellent design, especially in terms of massing and use of materials, but let's be realistic, that will never happen).

I think 7 storeys is the perfect height for creating a great pedestrian friendly environment, in a large city. Paris got it right.

In Paris much of their main shopping and cultural corridors have wide avenues and boulevards with much wider sidewalk space making their taller buildings that line the street feel more to scale. We don't have that luxury here hence cramping a 10' sidewalk that we share with garbage & newspaper bins, hydro/traffic light poles, TTC shelters, mail boxes, bike lockups and sandwich boards.

Back