Pretentious faux Georgian structures like these have nothing in common with authentic Yorkville homes of the 19th century, and everything in common with the present Jerkville/Yuckville incarnation of this part of town.

Meh, whatever... they look good. Sometimes it's just not worth overanalysing.

adma: Yes, I'd forgotten about the Paisley Shop - mid-Victorian Yorkville, from the 1860s, I think. And what an oddly situated building it is - as if it got stuck between floors in an elevator to the basement.

There's a beautiful Georgian house on Queen West that I believe is from the period. It is pretty much surrounded on three sides by a condo as I recall. You can view it from the street through a wrought iron fence.

Also, Isn't Campbell House Georgian?

Yes! I know which one you're talking about, it's immediately west of Trinity Bellwoods. The condo itself is gorgeous, and is very respectful to the mansion it hugs.

Bottom line I guess there isn't a lot of Georgian left in Toronto, nevermind Yorkville. NOTL is probably one of the better places for that.

They look as if they were dropped in from another neighbourhood (from another city). Their close proximity to the sidewalk makes them even more chunky-looking.

As I hoped, they are going with a slate roof and copper flashing.

sco1.jpg

sco2.jpg

sco3.jpg

does anybody else's stomach churn when you see 'weathered' brick cladding?

i never really know what to think of projects like these. certainly they are prettier than the average lego-block townhouse. equally, they exude a sense of respect for toronto history.

but i guess what i'm trying to say is...they're still not the same.

I've always liked the townhomes since first seeing the renderings. The high quality materials and workmanship confirms this even more for me. If only this were a minimum standard for the city...

Back