Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5R 1B9

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 09 115619 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Mar 10, 2009

Project: Non-Residential Building Other Proposal

Description: PUBLIC - PRELIMINARY PROJECT REVIEW, Due Date is 07-APR-09, >>Request for comments from Transportation Service re: streetscaping Yorkville Avenue Phase 2, reconstruct 47 m of concrete curb and sidewalk, plant 7 trees. Yorkville Avenue Phase 1, reconstruct 43 m of concrete curb and sidewalk, install 14 m wide vehicular access. Scollard St, Phase 2 reconstruct 44 m of concrete curb and sidewalk, plant 8 trees, Scollard St, Phase 1 install 8.3 m wide vehicular access and plant 1 tree.

There's nothing wrong with being comfortable with a building and simply walking by.

I was at King and Bathurst this morning, strolling around Freedville, and I was delightfully comfortable with the new buildings that have gone up, or are going up on Stewart, Niagara, and Portland Streets around Victoria Memorial Park. The cheerful emotional connection I made to them is quite profound - and I can draw on it now, as I sit here. Like any positive experience, you carry it with you and it improves the quality of your life. The visual delight of these largely monochromatic and similar-looking buildings lies in their form, proportion, and collective aesthetic effect. I wasn't in the slightest bit challenged by the architecture that I saw.

The visual delight of these largely monochromatic and similar-looking buildings lies in their form, proportion, and collective aesthetic effect.

Thought you were talking about some newly-built Berlin neighbourhood for a moment.

Freedville is really our only emerging Berlin-scaled neighbourhood of any size. We could be so lucky as to have another one.

(Feeling very Berliny right now, going through last summer's photos, putting them up on Flickr...)

Oh Berlin-schmerlin - it's Toronto Style, writ small and beautiful! A fine example of how fitting in is the new standing out, how you can strongly define a neighbourhood by expanding an existing context rather than working against it for the sake of visual one-upmanship.

A fine example of how fitting in is the new standing out, how you can strongly define a neighbourhood by expanding an existing context rather than working against it for the sake of visual one-upmanship.

Precisely what they have been doing in an effort to rebuild and unify Berlin since 1990.

...mostly with more success too, as their architectural controls are more stringent than ours.

Here's hoping we'll have more berlin-like Toronto style neighbourhoods.

The signs appear to made of acrylic. Don't like them at all
100a.jpg
Diesel is going here.
100b.jpg

Townhomes in the rear on Scollard St.
100c.jpg

Saw those townhouses in person the other day - they are brutal. Furthermore, they are additionally jarring being on a street mostly populated by galleries and other similar businesses.

The 'Home and Garden' signage on Teatro Verde, under the second story window is wrong on so many levels.

And there's nothing even vaguely similar to them anywhere on the street to justify the claim that they're fitting into some sort of early Yorkville style - nor could there be since they're a stylistic mishmash of elements plucked from buildings of the past with little thought to authenticity. And how bloated the whole assemblage looks, with mean-spirited little red brick sections sandwiched between the columns and pillasters.

As some earlier pics show, the townhouses also jut out closer to the street than other surrounding buildings, narrowing the pedestrian realm along that stretch. They are a disaster.

I also find the TH's columns/pillars/moldings massing too much ...

instead of complimenting the architecture and structures, it dominates and makes me feel like they were after-thoughts because the scale seems so wrong.

Back