I'm not a fan of this type of mismatch cladding, Indwell does it too, seems its an affordable housing specials and makes it very obvious its city housing/affordable housing.

I'm not a fan of this type of mismatch cladding, Indwell does it too, seems its an affordable housing specials and makes it very obvious its city housing/affordable housing.
It's probably done intentionally like a subconscious marker.

Mind equates it to "the projects".

Today, sorry for the finger was cycling:
1000008834.jpg

...it looks "airportish", I'll give it that. Meaning, all the hotels around Pearson's seem use that style airportish.

This project is all fine and dandy until you realize that the site is zoned for 30 storeys and that CityHousing left 24 storeys and hundreds of units on the table for no discernable reason.
To be fair to CityHousing, it's been largely recognized that buildings that are too large of this kind create a lot of issues with administration, that is providing support to an appropriate degree. Many people who live in CityHousing require additional supervision and security to ensure the building is safe for families who also have a strong need for this type of housing.

That being said, I do think they could have gone to 8 or 10 storeys and it would be reasonable. When I got a tour of the site I said as much, and made it clear to Cameron that I would like to see the second phase be 10 storeys at a minimum and he agreed that it would be good to push for more density. Hopefully when phase 2 gets funding it is done a bit more dense. Additionally I still would like to see it altered with more useful first floor, with perhaps a subsidized commercial unit for artists or something providing a community benefit, or alternatively a city owned public space.

This area is a bit of a convenience store desert too, so even a convenience store would be great. I know the Chinese market is down the street, but not only do they serve different clientèle, but the grocer doesn't have many common convenience store items.

Buildings that large of supportive housing have problems, yes.

This isn't supportive housing though, it's affordable housing.

At the very least they should have been JVing with a private partner to deliver market units which they could have used to fund more supportive / affordable housing on other, lower density sites.

Buildings that large of supportive housing have problems, yes.

This isn't supportive housing though, it's affordable housing.

At the very least they should have been JVing with a private partner to deliver market units which they could have used to fund more supportive / affordable housing on other, lower density sites.
Its not supportive housing, but affordable housing still requires supports, it's not hands off.

Back