IMG_20240202_185756.jpg
IMG_20240202_185818.jpg
IMG_20240202_185857.jpg
IMG_20240202_190013.jpg

This is one of my favorite threads to follow right now, partially because there’s real lack of consensus as to whether or not it looks good.

My two cents: I like it.
It is a bit of a missed opportunity, because this massing, with expert level cladding, would probably make it a top five new build of the last twenty years for me. The cladding is undeniably bizarre and I can see why some people hate it, wierd beige, million mullions, etc, and it’s certainly not my favourite. But I’m coming around to it. It seems to be in a conversation with the concrete 60s towers on the NE and NW corners of Yonge and Bloor, and even The One, and it undeniably has the effect of accentuating the verticality of the towers design. And boy do I love the design: sleek, elegant, and I find the placement and understated severity of the stepbacks to be perfectly placed. I really couldn’t be fonder of the shape of this thing.
So yeah, a little frustrating, but I’m gonna go on the record with a thumbs up from me on this project.

This is one of my favorite threads to follow right now, partially because there’s real lack of consensus as to whether or not it looks good.

My two cents: I like it.
It is a bit of a missed opportunity, because this massing, with expert level cladding, would probably make it a top five new build of the last twenty years for me. The cladding is undeniably bizarre and I can see why some people hate it, wierd beige, million mullions, etc, and it’s certainly not my favourite. But I’m coming around to it. It seems to be in a conversation with the concrete 60s towers on the NE and NW corners of Yonge and Bloor, and even The One, and it undeniably has the effect of accentuating the verticality of the towers design. And boy do I love the design: sleek, elegant, and I find the placement and understated severity of the stepbacks to be perfectly placed. I really couldn’t be fonder of the shape of this thing.
So yeah, a little frustrating, but I’m gonna go on the record with a thumbs up from me on this project.
Me too. Your two cents make... sense. hehe 😜
I really didn't like it at first when the cladding started making an appearance. But, after things started to fill out and come together I started liking it a lot and now think it's a nice addition to the neighbourhood.

There are two key elements to any development from an exterior perspective:

1. Massing
2. Materials

The massing is phenomenal. The dimensions and setbacks are top notch! Love the outline of this building.

The materials, however, are suboptimal at best. While the limestone is nice the glazing, spandrel and other finishes are extremely busy and poorly executed. Total missed opportunity.

The massing on this build looks absolutely great, but the materials are completely off. They could've made the limestone panels have a more prominent effect if it wasnt for the rest of the dark paneled glazing system.

The Residences of College Park often gets ridiculed on UT, but quite frankly I think those towers look far better than what we're getting here.

Hard to imagine there are two more large towers going to sprout up between that lot currently.

Back