111 RIVER ST​
113 RIVER ST​
115 RIVER ST​
117 RIVER ST​
119 RIVER ST​
121 RIVER ST​
123 RIVER ST​
125 RIVER ST​

Official Plan and Zoning By-law Amendment to facilitate the development of a 34-storey tower with 6-storey podium containing 309 residential dwelling units.
Proposed Use ---​
# of Storeys 34​
# of Units ---​
Type​
Number​
Date Submitted​
Status​
Applications:
OPA & Rezoning​
19 231689 STE 13 OZ​
Oct 3, 2019​
Under Review​

111 river.PNG

The street facing grade level needs some fine tuning. Feels rather cold and sterile right now.

Pretty substantial corridor of density on the horizon for River Street. With this, TAS DesignBuild's 7 Labatt, Broccolini's River & Fifth, TCHC buildings, and I believe 2 or 3 other projects in the pipeline.

IMO, Wallman's best work in Toronto is Lumiere on Bay, a condo from earlier on in the boom.

Several of his more recent ones have been a miss though like 365 Church, Minto30Roe, and Beacon Condos. CityLights on Broadway looks like it's headed in that direction too. While Ten York gets an alright/average rating from me.

The developers in play are a factor of course. Although, Menkes did have a part in Lumiere which was nice but went on to build disasters like 365 Church later.

My favourite Wallman is Tableau, and here's hoping that Kingsway By The River—also for Urban Capital and designed in the same style—is equally well executed.

Tableau got Wallman going on the staggered brick pattern that Kingsway by the River perpetuates. Between them, Beacon's variation was less successful when the frames were applied too meekly… but now we have another take on the stagger, culminating in the zippered balconies down the middle of the east side. That's kinda cool. Why not do that on the west side too? It looks like a different building entirely, and would benefit from more cohesion with the stronger graphic design on the east side.

My favourite Wallman is Tableau, and here's hoping that Kingsway By The River—also for Urban Capital and designed in the same style—is equally well executed.

Tableau got Wallman going on the staggered brick pattern that Kingsway by the River perpetuates. Between them, Beacon's variation was less successful when the frames were applied too meekly… but now we have another take on the stagger, culminating in the zippered balconies down the middle of the east side. That's kinda cool. Why not do that on the west side too? It looks like a different building entirely, and would benefit from more cohesion with the stronger graphic design on the east side.

True about Tableau. For some reason that had slipped my mind. It would likely even be among my Top 10 new buildings from the past decade.

Let's not forget that they also inflicted 300 Front on us as well...
Let's not forget that if Tridel had built 300 Front as it had been rendered, then it would not have turned out as a million mullion mess. The point is that Wallman is capable of great looking buildings, and that any architect can be brought low by a developer that value engineers something to death. I seem to remember a couple of recent aA stinkers… so am I supposed to go around mentioning how Alter is all their fault? Because that's what you're implying. aA cannot be counted on because of something they've recently inflicted on us…

Architects Alliance has some recent stinkers. Wallman started producing them not long after parting ways with aA. I've always wonder if that was the reasoning behind the split.

Back