Resubmission from last week. They've really calmed this one down, way better now.

1.PNG

3.PNG

4.PNG

2.PNG

Resubmission from last week. They've really calmed this one down, way better now.

View attachment 310413

View attachment 310414

View attachment 310415

View attachment 310416

Podium is ok'ish......don't like the way the retail/grade works in this, same complaint as always, it feels indistinct and underwhelming..............I also dislike the glass facade at the corner. It's not the fact that it's glass that's the problem, it's how they've used it/shaped it etc.

The tower remains..........uh......a disappointment.

Out of curiosity, why does the city mandate “tower on podium”? What’s wrong with the tower coming down to ground level if the ground level is fine-grained and distinguished from the above?

Out of curiosity, why does the city mandate “tower on podium”? What’s wrong with the tower coming down to ground level if the ground level is fine-grained and distinguished from the above?

A very good question to which the City does not have a good answer; this is one of my most consistently held urban design beefs with the City's current UD regime.

A very good question to which the City does not have a good answer; this is one of my most consistently held urban design beefs with the City's current UD regime.
Perhaps to have enough room for amenities?

There are a few reasons..........

I wonder what this site would have to say, LOL: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/why-are-condo-podiums-bad.17716/

I think Grey's comment is good: https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/why-are-condo-podiums-bad.17716/post-539701

Apart from that though, access to sunlight/sky has a lot to do with it.

The higher you build a street wall, the less sun/sky you get. Toronto is arguably extreme in times, at wanting set backs as soon as the 2nd/3rd floor; however, if you start getting near tower height ( street wall over 12 floors) on a typical street, you'll definitely find yourself in shade/shadow much of the year.

This site from Vancouver has a good discussion the Tower/Podium model, vs the Paris Model (build to lot line, straight-up, but typically maxing out at 8 floors).

From said article/site:

The tower and podium concept is supposed to consist of a podium of a couple of floors, with a slimmer tower that is setback, in order to provide some light penetration and access to sky

Another article here looking at wind conditions at street level:

From the Town of Milton's Tall Building Design Guidelines:

1617635589536.png

Nothing wrong with this design but it's really just more boring filler. We have 100s of equally mind numbing condo towers in this city. 'It's prozac in city form', as the The Guardian put it.

111 to 125 River St - Zoning Amendment and Rental Housing Demolition Applications - Final Report

This item will be considered by Toronto and East York Community Council on May 19, 2021. It will be considered by City Council on June 8, 2021, subject to the actions of the Toronto and East York Community Council.

Article on uncovering the message behind the ghost sign of the house at the southern end of the block:

Back