Looks great, though I wonder if a checkerboard brick that matched the base might have also worked, instead of the typical limestone + black mullions you see in these sorts of designs.

Full-on faux - let's pray the materials used will be appropriate...

Why 'faux'? There's nothing this design really tries to ape beyond modern Stern-esque designs.

If we want to consider faux...
dscn7181-jpg.252602

Last edited:
This is a pretty significant building not just because of appearances but also because of location.

Two thumbs way up for this one. Fits very nicely into this upscale nabe, esp. the retail level which actually adds to the surrounding mix, rather than sterilizing it, unlike most sheets of glass condo podiums. Just hope there is no cheapening.

Wow. It was a pleasant surprise to see the renders for this one. This is a beautiful building and will add so much to the area. Let's hope this motivates others to strive for the same kind of impact with their future designs.

Agreed! they did an amazing job on this. I hope the local NIMBY's don't try to ruin it.
You already know they will try to the fullest extent possible; Summerhill residents are pretty notorious for their antics, especially when they get something that actually respects the historical context on their neighborhood. Unlike in the rest of the city where developers dont even make a half-hearted attempt.

Looks great, though I wonder if a checkerboard brick that matched the base might have also worked, instead of the typical limestone + black mullions you see in these sorts of designs.

Why 'faux'? There's nothing this design really tries to ape beyond modern Stern-esque designs.

If we want to consider faux...
dscn7181-jpg.252602

I don't want to get into who can blow the No True Bagpipe the loudest here...what I can say here the needed restoration part is not really that faux per say. The rest of the building(s)...err, I'll keep my opinion to myself on the matter, as I don't really want to get tarred and feathered still being a n00b poster and all. It seems very popular in its current rendering, so...

But you are right too, The Well's business end of the project is pretty faux too...for what that is worth.

Last edited:
This is a really nice proposal! The city could look so nice with more buildings like this one.

It's definitely my kind of architectural style. Hopefully it gets approved and the materials would be high quality.

Architect is Audax/ERA -- https://1140yonge.com/team/

Edit -- whoa, some lofty sustainability goals here:

In addition to pursuing Tier 3 of The City of Toronto Green Standard, we are exploring the feasibility of becoming the first condominium in the city to achieve Passive House standards.

Nice! ✅

Love the location and love the restoration, like others have said it will all be in the execution. $52m land purchase cost on 66 units, certainly positioned to the top end of the market and the style seems to confirm that.

This can look good if executed properly. Problem is, this stuff is rarely executed properly. Lots of examples south of the border of properly executed "faux-classical" architecture, but not so much north of the border.

Not necessarily my cup of tea, but 4 The Kingsway was well executed. While on North Drive's other active project at One Forest Hill, the cladding looks of reasonable quality so far.

I've been pondering this building, and while it promises a more competently executed version of faux heritage than most attempts (One St Thomas being the other standout example), the thing that's bugging me is that there is an *actual* heritage building on this site that this design renders illegible. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled that they are restoring the original heritage facade, which is currently butchered almost beyond recognition. But respectful adaptive reuse of heritage buildings draws a clear distinction between what is old and what is new, and this design does not do that. When I saw the renders, I didn't even register at first that the first two storeys were a heritage facade.

Back