40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

JasonParis

Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
I just stumbled upon an excellent website devoted to pictures of the world beneath our streets. It's mostly Toronto-focussed, but not entirely.

The website is called Vanishing Point and here's the author's description:

The built environment of the city has always been incomplete, by omission and necessity, and will remain so. Despite the visions of futurists, the work of our planners and cement-layers thankfully remains a fractured and discontinuous whole, an urban field riven with internal margins, pockmarked by decay, underlaid with secret waterways. Stepping outside our prearranged traffic patterns and established destinations, we find a city laced with liminality, with borderlands cutting across its heart and reaching into its sky. We find a thousand vanishing points, each unique, each alive, each pregnant with riches and wonders and time.

This is a website about exploring some of those spaces, about immersing oneself in stormwater sewers and utility tunnels and abandoned industry, about tapping into the worlds that are embedded in our urban environment yet are decidedly removed from the collective experience of civilized life. This is a website about spaces that exist at the boundaries of modern control, as concessions to the landscape, as the debris left by economic transition, as evidence of the transient nature of our place upon this earth.

I'll no longer offer a disclaimer. If you can take care and treat yourself and these places responsibly, I wholely encourage you to open your eyes and ears and mind to the hidden worlds around you.

I am 25, a student of global political economy and conflict, and have been exploring seriously since 2003. Photos appearing here were shot with a Canon S30 (until mid-2004), a Canon 300D (until mid-2006), and now a Canon 20D.

If for any reason you would like to get in touch with me, your e-mail is always welcome.

A few pictures are below, but there's loads more on the site (and a wealth of information as well)...

tor18_6.jpg

tor17_3.jpg

tor6_3.jpg

tor6_19.jpg

tor6_25.jpg

tor10_6.jpg

:eek::eek::eek:

amazing find!! it's a whole different world! it's like time stands still under there.

look at this at niagara falls.....

http://www.vanishingpoint.ca/images/galleries/tailrace2_5.jpg

how the heck did they brick all that??

p.s, what these guys are doing is dangerous. it is possible to die of asphyxiation in the sewers (more likely in sanitation sewers) and anything can happen down there, all those slippery surfaces covered in slime can cause serious injury, a sudden storm can cause the tunnels to fill, you can probably get some disease, etc. having your lighting fail would be disastrous.

Yeah, great pictures. Also a great way to catch the plague.

Now he's getting into some sanitary sewers (mostly in Montreal), but most of what's listed on that site is for storm water or river drainage, and it's not as dangerous as you might think. Going out when it's raining is foolish. Injury is actually very rare.

"Draining" is a branch of urban exploration. A notable explorer and pioneer was from Toronto, Jeff Chapman, who created Infiltration. The creator of Vanishing Point goes by the name Kowalski on the major urban exploration forum UER, created by another Torontonian.

It's absolutely astounding, the amount of manpower and work that would've gone into the building of these sewers and waterways. Whenever I see bricklaying like that, it's mind boggling. Along with bridges, I have a great fascination of tunnel projects.

they should do videos.

i wonder if they take requests (suggestions)?

this is cool stuff... great pics of an unexplored man-made environment.

Prometheus: I have seen documentaries before about people getting into abandoned subway tunnels and vaults which was just fascinating. On a slightly different theme, there is a documentary called "In Search of the Mole People" about the homeless living in the subway tunnels of NYC - anyone else see that before? You can find quite a few videos on these subjects on Amazon or other online stores....

:eek::eek::eek:

tor15_8.jpg

tor6_12.jpg

Here's another great website I found years ago of a similar vain:

http://www.infiltration.org/

He's more into exploring our Subways and Hotels and things.

If you scroll above, you will notice that this link has already been provided. You're right, it is a great website. He didn't just go to Lower Bay (back when it was dirty, dim and actually looked abandoned), but checked out most of the subway system. And he didn't believe in disclaimers.

Back