News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

YES! I've often talked about this, written the TTC about it and even posted on this forum about it where I was called a liar so I stopped trying. It's ridiculous and backwards and confusing but apparently not everyone agrees with me.

I completely agree too! It seems completely opposite to what would make sense. To me, Green implies the train will be going towards those stations, with Red being the stations already passed. Other systems around the world that use LEDs on their signs at least have some kind of direction arrow that lights up and shows which way the train is going.

Compared to the informative screens from Zurich and Milan that drum118 posted above, the picture below shows what we get on the Toronto Rocket trains. What you can't see is the "Next Stop is Queen" announcement, since it's blocked by the handrail.

P_20160223_094907.jpg

Attachments

• P_20160223_094907.jpg
    P_20160223_094907.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 750
Aren't they working on putting external speakers on the trains so they will announce their destinations and line like the new Streetcars do?
Yes they are and to be fully done by year end

Last edited:
Noticed one of the speakers while boarding a TR the other day. Not exactly precision craftsmanship...

People have mentioned that the red/green colour scheme of those lights is completely counter-intuitive and I recently saw proof of this. I was on a southbound train at Bloor-Yonge. The doors opened and a family of tourists got on. They looked at the lights on the map and said 'Okay we want Union station... Wait it's all RED lights going to Union and GREEN lights going to Finch. I think this train is going to Finch. We have to get off and take the opposite train... Hurry!" They quickly turned around and got off the train - misdirected thanks to those LED lights.

This has bugged me since the new trains went in service.

Any one know why they didn't put an LED screen showing the route info in a widow on each car?

Penny-pinching bureaucrats and politicians. Don't forget that John Tory requested that the TTC reduce 5% from their operating budget. By not putting in LED screens in windows of each subway car, they did just that... for this time.

Penny-pinching bureaucrats and politicians. Don't forget that John Tory requested that the TTC reduce 5% from their operating budget. By not putting in LED screens in windows of each subway car, they did just that... for this time.

makes sense at least they didn't do that with the Flexs

When it comes to reducing costs, only state-of-good-repair should remain untouched. However, when improvements to the TTC that would benefit the passenger is compared to cost savings, passengers' benefits get cut.

When it comes to reducing costs, only state-of-good-repair should remain untouched.

Which is probably why the SOGR gets tentacles into things that others might classify as expansion or improvements (rather than maintaining current state). Managers figured out SOGR gets funded too.

Not that I'm unhappy with that; if it needs to be through skunk-works projects then so be it.

People have mentioned that the red/green colour scheme of those lights is completely counter-intuitive and I recently saw proof of this. I was on a southbound train at Bloor-Yonge. The doors opened and a family of tourists got on. They looked at the lights on the map and said 'Okay we want Union station... Wait it's all RED lights going to Union and GREEN lights going to Finch. I think this train is going to Finch. We have to get off and take the opposite train... Hurry!" They quickly turned around and got off the train - misdirected thanks to those LED lights.
The route map in the Hong Kong MTRs also have arrows between each station dot showing the direction the train is going so there is absolutely 0 confusion, and they're had them for 16 years. Why we like to reinvent things in Toronto so much when there's another perfect and proven solution out there I will never understand.

map.jpg

The route map in the Hong Kong MTRs also have arrows between each station dot showing the direction the train is going so there is absolutely 0 confusion, and they're had them for 16 years. Why we like to reinvent things in Toronto so much when there's another perfect and proven solution out there I will never understand.

map.jpg

I could see someone getting confused by that too for example do they lights mean the train has been to a stop or that that part of the line is not in service?

I could see someone getting confused by that too for example do they lights mean the train has been to a stop or that that part of the line is not in service?
The arrow flashes while the train is between the stations. Once the train arrives at the station, the led of the last station turns off unlike the TRs where it turns from red to green.

The arrow coupled with the lit-up stations seems just about as obvious as one could make it. The red/green LED's are backward to half the people, forget those who are colorblind.

Back