News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Now look at you .....you know some TTC Departments good for you......but in the end its still PLANT DEPATMENT. Would you like to know the Forperson who is in charge or the wage group o fthe workers or better yet how about the work car numbers. You still seem to have a hard time believing me that I work for TTC, if you want to work here.....go apply...we are hiring....even people like you lol

Woah there, calm down a bit, I just asked an honest question. I always wondered what the Tracks and Structures department did. If I had to guess, I'd say a new structure requiring installation of tracks might be logically done by the Tracks and Structures department. I'm just surprised that's all.

I seem to be upsetting you a lot, I can't understand why. After all, I'm going to be wrong in a few months when the trains don't show up, and you will be vindicated.

My understanding is that Tracks and Structures focusses on mainline and yard trackage, and that Plant takes care of everything with a roof on it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Great News, Be sure to watch tomorrows On the Rocket. Last week I emailed them asking about the new TR's. I just got an email from them saying my question will be answered on tomorrows show.

Hopefully this will clear everything up about this recent controversy with the TR being sent back.

Last edited:
Thank you TTC12, that is great news! Unfortunately I can't see the show, I look forward to hearing the answer tho.. Thanks for the initiative you've taken!

I hope that on close-up inspection of the new subway cars, that the outside surface will have no rivets.

Look close at one of the current subway cars:
subway-5701-25.jpg

Compare that with the surface of a Peter Witt streetcar:
streetcar-4706-49.jpg

and the smooth surface of an old PCC or current CLRV:
streetcar-4002-44.jpg
streetcar-4107-01.jpg

The PCC and CLRV fleet have little or no rivets visible.

I hope that on close-up inspection of the new subway cars, that the outside surface will have no rivets.

The Toronto Rocket cars are being built of welded stainless steel rather than rivetted aluminum. They will have smooth exteriors.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I loved driving those old PPC cars, they rocked once you got them going, but God help you if you did not have your long johns on in the morning because it was colder inside then out side lol......those things were an ice box until they generated some heat.

Not sure if some of you noticed this, but the earlier T1 cars have a different kind of aluminum skin. The last batch of cars we received their skin is more porous you can feel the difference and this is why they look more dirtier, brake dust residue clogs up and is hard to get off on exterior washes.

I loved driving those old PPC cars, they rocked once you got them going, but God help you if you did not have your long johns on in the morning because it was colder inside then out side lol......those things were an ice box until they generated some heat.

Not sure if some of you noticed this, but the earlier T1 cars have a different kind of aluminum skin. The last batch of cars we received their skin is more porous you can feel the difference and this is why they look more dirtier, brake dust residue clogs up and is hard to get off on exterior washes.

I've always noticed that! I always wondered why T1's always look a lot filthier than say an H5 which have a nice whitish grey color to them. And now I know hehe I love learning new things. T1's also seem to have a lot more rivets than the H5's and H6's

I don't know if porous is the correct term. Metals don't have 'pores'. The TTC should, however, have appropriately painted/coated/finished the material to prevent it getting grimy all the time.

Lets say the metal is of not the same quality then, it does not have the same smooth texture but has a rough feel to it.

Painting the cars would have been a bad idea because after time the paint tends to lose its luster as the trains are washed with an acid solution. TTC really does not have the facilities to do major overhauls on subway cars or paint booths. We do major overhauls on buses and streetcars but subways are just too large.

I've always noticed that! I always wondered why T1's always look a lot filthier than say an H5 which have a nice whitish grey color to them.

The whitish-grey is aluminum oxide. It is a lot more apparent on the H5's (and H4's) because they are a lot older.

Lets say the metal is of not the same quality then, it does not have the same smooth texture but has a rough feel to it.

I'm sure it's the same quality - the brushing pattern on the surface however is visibly different. I don't know if the aluminum sheets came from different suppliers or what.

Painting the cars would have been a bad idea because after time the paint tends to lose its luster as the trains are washed with an acid solution. TTC really does not have the facilities to do major overhauls on subway cars or paint booths. We do major overhauls on buses and streetcars but subways are just too large.

Paint is also an unnecessary expense as aluminum doesn't rust and so doesn't need to be protected from the elements.

The paint booth at Hillcrest could fit a single subway car, but then you'd have to truck them over.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's not necessary to 'paint' it. A sealant/protectant or stain could have been applied to ensure that it grime doesn't adhere to the surface.

Anyone care to enlighten my as to what the response to TTC12's e-mail question to On The Rocket was?

Thanks!

Back