News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Only wusses need doors anyway. The breeze will be great in the summertime.

060712_mumbai_hmed_3a.h2.jpg

^ You should see the steel rod windows they have. No doors and skimpy windows make for great ventilation actually.

New TTC trains delayed after door company goes belly up

New TTC trains delayed after door company goes belly up
Posted: January 14, 2010, 3:47 PM by Natalie Alcoba

The new TTC subway trains are delayed after the company that was building the doors went bankrupt.

A prototype of the trains, dubbed the Toronto Rocket through a naming contest, was supposed to be doing dry runs by now, said Brad Ross, a spokesman for the Toronto Transit Commission. Now, he's not sure when that first train will arrive. It will be two or three months after that before the first trains are in operation.

Curtis Doors, a supplier for Bombardier Transportation, closed its doors last year. "Certainly the trains are delayed because of the issue with the doors," said Mr. Ross. He said the commission is pushing Bombardier as hard as it can to deliver the trains as soon as possible.

Talal Zouaoui, a spokesperson for Bombardier Transportation, said the prototype train is delayed "and this is due to some issues and some lateness from some of our key suppliers, and I would not point fingers at anyone." He said the train is in the test phase but could not report on when it might be delivered. "We're on a good track," he said.

The Toronto Rocket are 10% bigger, which for a standing room only train that packs 1100 people means about 110 more people. The maps in the trains will be electronic and light up at each station. There will also be arrows pointing to which doors will open. By joining the cars with gangways, passengers will be able to walk the train from end to end.

"We're really looking forward to them," said Mr. Ross. He said the trains will take over the Yonge-University-Spadina line, moving the T1 models onto the Bloor-Danforth line.

Read more: http://network.nationalpost.com/np/...door-company-goes-belly-up.aspx#ixzz0cfNNuHqp
The National Post is now on Facebook. Join our fan community today.

Have you guys ever dreamed of driving the Toronto Rocket or being the conductor!! ... cause i have i always did the hand jestures while i sleep sometimes!

You mean the "Guard".....we dont have conductors

You should be dreaming of girls buddy not being a driver with TTC ;)

Now mind you a lot of TTC drivers have their little groupies.....lol

well now that we know that the new trains will be delayed, why don't they just take the T1s and modify them? I mean they modded the buses so that it has that display thingy, so why can't they do the same on the current T1s? i am sure the LED lights are not that hard to install onto the T1s and it does not use as much as electricity. also the H series shud be scraped by now, i can't believe they are still using it...it feels like we are still in the 1900s... sigh... it's unacceptable, paying $3 and this is what we get...i thought history never repeats itself, but in the world of ttc, we see it everyday...

I doubt that the T1s would ever be modified to match the TRs. That would require removing many of the cabs, ripping the ends off the cars, etc. Not sure I see the point.

Or the big deal ... trains will be late. For the most part, it's simply swapping out the old equipment with new. There are not cancelled trains every day because equipment is not currently available. There aren't plans to increase service when the new cars come (such plans require the signalling upgrade that is still years away).

I don't see the big deal. Nor do I see how this relates to the amount of fare that is paid; fares cover operations. New cars come out of the capital budget, not the operational budget. Heck, TTC might save money ... it would certainly delay payments to Bombardier, and if penalty clauses are triggered, it could reduce the cost of the new trains.

I doubt that the T1s would ever be modified to match the TRs. That would require removing many of the cabs, ripping the ends off the cars, etc. Not sure I see the point.

Or the big deal ... trains will be late. For the most part, it's simply swapping out the old equipment with new. There are not cancelled trains every day because equipment is not currently available. There aren't plans to increase service when the new cars come (such plans require the signalling upgrade that is still years away).

I don't see the big deal. Nor do I see how this relates to the amount of fare that is paid; fares cover operations. New cars come out of the capital budget, not the operational budget. Heck, TTC might save money ... it would certainly delay payments to Bombardier, and if penalty clauses are triggered, it could reduce the cost of the new trains.

who said about ripping the ends of the car? the LED light map and the overhead display is just a small add on. who said anything about completely modding the T1s? i mean i have nothing against it, it's fine the way it is right now, but it's the h series that i can't stand.

and for the $3 we are paying now, have u seen any improvement in the service? stations are still packed, delays everywhere, signals (and other electronic systems) are still having problems, this and that. nothing has changed...

and yes u may be right, its not a big deal... but to some, it just does not make sense. i don't mean to bash or anything... but just a thought...

who said about ripping the ends of the car? the LED light map and the overhead display is just a small add on. who said anything about completely modding the T1s?
Your sentance simply said "why don't they just take the T1s and modify them?". You then gave the example of the LED lights, but I couldn't imagine that anyone would only be worried about update the subway map diagram, rather than anything that is important!

The new map seems to be pretty unimportant to the entire thing. I don't even see the point of it. I admit it's very useful when your on the 4/5/6 train in New York City, so you can see what stops the train will stop at, etc. - but we don't have express trains in Toronto.

Quite frankly, I hope they just eliminate it, and put a simple map in. It's just a toy, something else to maintain, and somehow, I can't imagine that it will be functioning that well in 30-years. A simple bus-style text display like what is on the buses would allow them to achieve accessibility standards.

i mean i have nothing against it, it's fine the way it is right now, but it's the h series that i can't stand.
The doors on the H trains are a bit narrow, and the poles aren't as well positioned, but they are still functional trains. The oldest one is only 36-years old, making them newer than equipment on many subway lines (Montreal and London come to mind). And quite frankly, I'll miss those wonderful padded seats on the H-4 trains - I wish they still did those!

and for the $3 we are paying now, have u seen any improvement in the service? stations are still packed, delays everywhere, signals (and other electronic systems) are still having problems, this and that. nothing has changed...
Nothing changes overnight. I've seen significant improvements in the last 3-4 years. The service increase on surface routes has been incredible. A couple of buses I use regularily now run much later in the evening than the used too, and frequencies have increased. There's all the new Next Train monitors in most of the stations. Cleaniness has improved, many stations have been painted, I see new doors going into a few stations, Pape is being renovated, Victoria Park is being renovated. Beside, the budget increase was to maintain service, with very little expansion, except for the 10-minute network - which wasn't scheduled to begin until later this year. I don't really know what you expect for a fare increase that only raised about $50-million on a system that spends over $1-billion a year.

@nfitz

i guess ur right...maybe i been in toronto too long...13 years to be exact... but over these 13 years, i mean yes there has been SOME improvements but there's so much more that they can do...and like u said, things don't happen in just one night, but man, the government has gotta step it up a notch...it's simple, no money, no room for expansion.

Agreed. We need more money. TTC has the highest dependence on fares of any similiar sized system in the continent. The province needs to provide more money to operate transit in Toronto.

Its true what you're saying, its not a big deal, My problem is that I'll have to wait more, I guess it is merely a superficial thing....

Has for H Series trains, like nfitz said, there are much older trains in operation. Personally I love the H Series, they're well built, reliable(Hey they're still here and work just as well as they did 30 years ago) and they make awesome sounds. I agree that the padded seats are a nice bonus!

love the H Series, they're well built, reliable(Hey they're still here and work just as well as they did 30 years ago) and they make awesome sounds.

Reliable? You are kidding right? We only use them in rush hour service because they only last a few hours on the line! :D They are old, no parts are available and basically falling apart.

Back